Womens’ Volleyball 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
    P’lag- any idea about Lake’s left elbow? Against UF she was sporting an elbow sleeve with some sort of padding or device in the UCL side.
    I was told by a member of her family that it was bruised. I didn't get more info than that.

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
      I was told by a member of her family that it was bruised. I didn't get more info than that.
      The way she plays, her body is probably covered with bruises every week.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I know I've got some blue goggles on, but I think the match with Stanford is a coin toss.

While we'll obviously miss Miller, she didn't have a phenomenal match against Stanford (she really hit her stride after conference play began, IMO), so while her loss is tough, comparing match to match, the difference may not be that stark.

In addition, I think we're playing better defense (both blocking and passing) than we did early in the season, and Eppich has been setting out of her damn mind.

I'm not prediciting a blow out, but I do think this match is too close to call. If we can get a healthy Cougar contingent in Minneapolis, I think we have a swinging chance.

Also, Plummer is amazing, but if I'm voting for NPOY, I give it to RJP. Plummer just happened to be born 6'6" with decent coordination, RJP does what she does by hard work and an iron will to be better.
        Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
          I know I've got some blue goggles on, but I think the match with Stanford is a coin toss.
          My model has the odds at 53% Stanford. That probably doesn't fully take into account the Miller loss, but based on the tournament I think it's fair to say the Miller loss was smaller than I was paramaterizing it earlier. I'v seen reasonable models with 60% Stanford. Even with that, that's pretty decent odds for BYU

Comment

• Also, AA teams should be out tomorrow. Here is what I'm thinking happens:

First Team:
            RJP

Second Team
            LHE
            Lake

But I kind of think one of the two will be first, but I'm not sure which one.

Third Team:
            Gneiting

But it wouldn't shock me if Gneiting is 2nd team

Comment

• AA Teams Out:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/volleyball...&sf204143828=1

First Team:
              Haddock-Eppich
              RJP

2nd Team:
              Mary Lake

Third Team:
              Gneiting

HM:
              Eschenberg
              Miller

Freshman of the Year:
              Heather Gneiting

Comment

• Originally posted by pelagius View Post
                AA Teams Out:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/volleyball...&sf204143828=1

First Team:
                Haddock-Eppich
                RJP

2nd Team:
                Mary Lake

Third Team:
                Gneiting

HM:
                Eschenberg
                Miller

Freshman of the Year:
                Heather Gneiting
                Just some notes on these:

1. Post-season performance of your team really matters a lot in Volleyball. They vote on these teams on the Sunday after the regional final. All the final 4 teams got at least two on the first team AA.

2. These seem very fair to BYU to me. RJP is a clear first team. The first team included 4 setters. If you include 4 setters on the first team then LHE clearly belongs.

3. I don't think Mary Lake got slighted. Could she have been included? Sure, the difference between Hentz (Stanford) and White (Penn St.) is really small. I think White may be the best passer, Hentz the best digger with the most range, and Lake the second in both categories. Any of the three could be justified on the first team easily. But it's unusual to even put two Liberos on the first team.

4. Gneiting is the best freshman on any of the final 4 teams. I think that's why she got it. If Penn St. makes it to the final 4 then Parker (their freshman) RS gets it.

5. Nice to see Miller get HM. Miller had limited upside in the AA voting because she's a 3 rotation OH. Probably 3rd team if she was not injured. But 3 rotation OHs tend not to do much better than that. On the RS you can be a 3 rotation player and get high honors but not on the left usually.

6. Texas kind of got hosed.
                Last edited by pelagius; 12-12-2018, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• Good stuff, pelagius. I'll be interested to see how NPOY shakes out and wonder if it isn't between arguably the four top players in Minneapolis (Plummer, Foecke, RJP and the player from Illinois (Poulter?)).
                  "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
                    Good stuff, pelagius. I'll be interested to see how NPOY shakes out and wonder if it isn't between arguably the four top players in Minneapolis (Plummer, Foecke, RJP and the player from Illinois (Poulter?)).
                    Yeah, I agree that's the list of possibles. Any of the four are deserving. I'm thinking it's more likely to be Plummer or RJP than the other two but the only one that would surprise me is Foecke (and only a little ... it wouldn't be shocking). She's deserving, but maybe more of it comes from a late season surge. The other three have been in the running since at least mid-season.

Comment

• Go Ladies! You've exceeded pre-Tourney expectations. Heather has displayed a very good ability to make adjustments. A win against Stanford would be a tremendous achievement but a loss wouldn't ruin a successful season. Given that BYU doesn't make this far that often, let's win this thing.
                      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
                        Go Ladies! You've exceeded pre-Tourney expectations. let's win this thing.
                        i'm going to take a wild guess and say none of them are going to see this post. but in your defense, it is possible if they have an internet connection.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

Go Ladies! You've exceeded pre-Tourney expectations.
                          Whose expectations? They are exactly where they were expected to be as a 4 seed.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                            Whose expectations? They are exactly where they were expected to be as a 4 seed.
                            Topper's expectations. He always expects the worst.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Go Ladies! You've exceeded pre-Tourney expectations. Heather has displayed a very good ability to make adjustments. A win against Stanford would be a tremendous achievement but a loss wouldn't ruin a successful season. Given that BYU doesn't make this far that often, let's win this thing.
                              You're such a that it's completely transparent when you try to pretend like you aren't. So don't. But also, don't come around here and be all . Which is, I suppose, a nice way of saying "don't you have some five-paragraph essays to grade or something?"
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                                Topper didn't think they'd make it past the second round after a rocky start against perennial powerhouse Stony Brook.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Working...
                                X