Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Womens’ Volleyball 2018

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Marquette defeated USC 3-2. I didn't watch the game but followed it briefly online. I don't know if USC was worn down by having played previously. Hopefully, BYU comes out rested against Marquette and its home crowd.
    Marquette's a good team. It would be surprising if they didn't make the tournament. It wouldn't be that surprising for USC to lose to them on Marquette's home court even if USC was fresh.
    Last edited by pelagius; 09-07-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
    Marquette's a good team. It would be surprising if they didn't make the tournament. It wouldn't be that surprising for USC to lose to them on Marquette's home court even if USC was fresh.
    BYU defeats Marquette 3-1. The number one and number two teams lost today, so BYU might end up ranked number one in the nation.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

BYU beats #25 Marquette 3-1 in Milwaukee; Marquette is a good team so this is another really solid win on the road. The first 1.5 sets were rough but then Olmstead and crew made some adjustments to the serving strategy and some adjustment to serve reserve and BYU came roaring back. For two matches in a row Gneiting and Miller were the standouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    BYU defeats Marquette 3-1. The number one and number two teams lost today, so BYU might end up ranked number one in the nation.
    I would think so; the coaches would have to vault Stanford over BYU (assuming Stanford beats Minnesota tonight). I think Stanford is slightly better than BYU but BYU has scoreboard.

Pre-Historic Man

I would think so; the coaches would have to vault Stanford over BYU (assuming Stanford beats Minnesota tonight). I think Stanford is slightly better than BYU but BYU has scoreboard.
    If Stanford defeats Minnesota tomorrow, it will have defeated PSU and former number 1 Minnesota. Stanford looks good and took BYU to the fifth. Maybe both can be rated number 1.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

The level of trust between this team and the coaching staff is so high right now. It takes a lot to derail them. If we can keep growing our ability to attack out of the middle on passes 6-8 feet off, we should be able to get by without a strong right side. Ballard needs to keep building her confidence as she and Bushman could really help us with their bigger blocks on the right side against some teams but the effort to dig and transition with smaller blocking is working.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    The level of trust between this team and the coaching staff is so high right now. It takes a lot to derail them. If we can keep growing our ability to attack out of the middle on passes 6-8 feet off, we should be able to get by without a strong right side. Ballard needs to keep building her confidence as she and Bushman could really help us with their bigger blocks on the right side against some teams but the effort to dig and transition with smaller blocking is working.
    Ballard did get some time against Syracuse. If I remember right she started the second set and got one front court rotation. Unfortunately, she got like two quick hitting errors and never saw the court again. It will be interesting to see if she gets more time against Utah. I do hope she gets to play at least a whole set against Weber St on Saturday.

So, Stanford beats Minnesota pretty handily. The voters have to decide if beating #5 and #1 in the same week is better than wins over #10 and #25 and head to head win with Stanford.

They have to give it to BYU, right?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    So, Stanford beats Minnesota pretty handily.
    Not that it matters, but I wouldn't describe it that way. Outside of the 3rd set it was really competitive.

The voters have to decide if beating #5 and #1 in the same week is better than wins over #10 and #25 and head to head win with Stanford.

They have to give it to BYU, right?
    I think BYU gets ranked #1, but they were almost tied last week with Stanford for 3rd and Stanford got more #1 votes last week (despite the BYU victory being fresh in their minds). USC losing to Marquette takes some of the luster off the USC win even though BYU beat Marquette too. Essentially, BYU beat two 10-20 teams this week: one on a neutral court and on on the road. Stanford beat two top 10 teams (but both at home), but the luster on the Minn win is diminished because Minn also lost to Oregon. Right now the Penn St win looks better than the Minn win. So I don't think BYU is a lock for #1; maybe 70-75% probability in my view.

Finally, I would rank Stanford #1 personally.
    Last edited by pelagius; 09-09-2018 at 07:54 PM.

The AVCA coaches poll is out:

That’s pretty incredible.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Heather thinks Utah is better than anyone they have played outside of Stanford. She thinks they are a legit top 10 team.
    *Banned*

I guess no one cares that BYU absolutely annihilated Utah tonight?

BYU's really good, and outside of the first half of the first set they passed really well. They passed so well the absolutely chewed Utah up with their middles in the 2nd and third sets. Also, Mary Lake may be the best libero in the country (I think she is as least as good as Stanford's libero who the the first team AA last year).

I care!

Took the whole family plus some friends. What an amazing atmosphere. That place was rocking. Crushed the utes like a bug.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I care!

Took the whole family plus some friends. What an amazing atmosphere. That place was rocking. Crushed the utes like a bug.
    First match I've missed in a while; I'm at a conference. Barely finished watching now.

I watched. Was really fun. First match I have watched all year.

Wally cares
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

That was a lot of fun. ESAD Utes.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Great match. We are better than the Utes at every position other than perhaps their best MB is better than Gneiting/Kennedy Eschdafasdhfadohauer.

Due to crowd noise, Jason Spencer had to shout into his microphone during coach interviews after the second set. Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Choke on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    lol, wonder if you'll even show your face around here after the men's swimming meet or mixed doubles tennis match?

Soccer? ✔
    Volleyball? ✔

Does Utah even have a dance troop, bro sis?

I DVRd and then my daughter and I got up early and watched this morning before we left for school/work. First set got off to a slow start, but after that it was all downhill. Also, I have a minor crush on the lefty outside hitter for Utah (#1, can't remember her name) as well as the Utes' libero. But I was still glad to see them lose.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I DVRd and then my daughter and I got up early and watched this morning before we left for school/work. First set got off to a slow start, but after that it was all downhill. Also, I have a minor crush on the lefty outside hitter for Utah (#1, can't remember her name) as well as the Utes' libero. But I was still glad to see them lose.
    I met thinking “why didn’t we sign her?”

Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Quality tweet.

(Sorry, don't know how to embed.)
    That's originally a Jarom Jordan quip about Mary Lake. I did not know that you were the type that appreciated his oeuvre

That's originally a Jarom Jordan quip about Mary Lake. I did not know that you were the type that appreciated his oeuvre
    I'm not a fan of his sartor, but I've nothing against his oeuvre.

BYU beats Weber St -18, -18, -16 in Ogden. Weber St. is probably somewhere between 100 - 150 in terms of quality. Not a very sharp outing for BYU overall; of course, Weber St fans broke out the overrated chant at the end (which did amuse me).

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    Madi had the best topspin jumper in the state last year at LP. I look forward to her unleashing it as she get confident.
    So Robinson got to serve a couple times today. She does have a nice jump-spin serve; very high velocity for the women's game. Not a great match for her in terms of hitting.