• Show
Clear All

• Economist Intelligence Unit survey of most livable cities

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45174600

Three of the top ten are in Canada ... just say'n

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45174600

Three of the top ten are in Canada ... just say'n
    I went to Calgary this summer. That place sucks, no thanks. The traffic is like Portland, terrible and slow speed limits.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      I went to Calgary this summer. That place sucks, no thanks. The traffic is like Portland, terrible and slow speed limits.
      Sounds like you got stuck on Macloud Trail like a newbie. Those in the know can get around town relatively quickly. Calgary is sprawling like crazy, so I would hate to live at one end of the city and commute to the other. But there's some really nice places there. I wouldn't be sad living there. Same goes for Vancouver, if I could ever afford it. But Toronto?!? No way.
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
        Sounds like you got stuck on Macloud Trail like a newbie. Those in the know can get around town relatively quickly. Calgary is sprawling like crazy, so I would hate to live at one end of the city and commute to the other. But there's some really nice places there. I wouldn't be sad living there. Same goes for Vancouver, if I could ever afford it. But Toronto?!? No way.
        I do think I managed to avoid that, but I was on some connector that took forever to finally get to the trans-canada hwy.

What I was really disappointed in with Calgary, was, I was expecting to see some mountains. I thought a place that had the winter olympics would have some mountains. Nope, just ugly rolling plains.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
          I do think I managed to avoid that, but I was on some connector that took forever to finally get to the trans-canada hwy.

What I was really disappointed in with Calgary, was, I was expecting to see some mountains. I thought a place that had the winter olympics would have some mountains. Nope, just ugly rolling plains.
          The plains don't bother me that much. But yeah, you don't get good mountain views until you're half an hour west of Calgary. And then it's another hour driving before you're there. Mrs. NWC lived in Calgary during the Olympics. All the major skiing events aside from ski jump took place way outside of town.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

Comment

You couldn't pay me enough money (literally and figuratively) to live in Vancouver. It's beautiful to be sure, but I just could not do it. As for Calgary, I am sending my son there on a mission in two weeks, so I have to say nice things about the place don't I?

The first time I arrived at the boarder crossing and crossed over into Alberta I thought: "Really ... they came and settled here?"

Toronto is a great place to live.

Comment

You couldn't pay me enough money (literally and figuratively) to live in Vancouver. It's beautiful to be sure, but I just could not do it. As for Calgary, I am sending my son there on a mission in two weeks, so I have to say nice things about the place don't I?

The first time I arrived at the boarder crossing and crossed over into Alberta I thought: "Really ... they came and settled here?"

Toronto is a great place to live.
              Which border crossing? The main ones I know of at least have a view of the Rockies. Cardston is not a pretty town, but you don't have to drive far to get to Waterton. When you start driving north, yeah, there's nothing but rolling fields for awhile. Still, there's some really pretty scenery in southern Alberta, especially when the canola is in bloom.

Toronto: the most successful most boring blah city in Canada. Blech.
              - SeattleUte

Comment

Don't tell that to Shack and LeBron:

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2...-shaq-toronto/

Comment

Don't tell that to Shack and LeBron:

https://www.blogto.com/sports_play/2...-shaq-toronto/
                  Maybe I spoke too soon!
                  TBH, my opinion of Toronto is based on a couple of trips from Montreal, to visit downtown or the temple. But since it's the butt of many a Montrealer's joke, I'll gladly join with them.
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Maybe I spoke too soon!
                    TBH, my opinion of Toronto is based on a couple of trips from Montreal, to visit downtown or the temple. But since it's the butt of many a Montrealer's joke, I'll gladly join with them.
                    I can't shake a stick without hitting a former Montrealer, who now lives here in the Big Smoke.

Comment

Which border crossing? The main ones I know of at least have a view of the Rockies. Cardston is not a pretty town, but you don't have to drive far to get to Waterton. When you start driving north, yeah, there's nothing but rolling fields for awhile. Still, there's some really pretty scenery in southern Alberta, especially when the canola is in bloom.

I will admit that the canola was pretty. Cardston is a crap hole, but the drive to pretty stuff isn't too far.

Comment

Working...
                      X