Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 BYU Football Camp

Default 2018 BYU Football Camp

While we were all busy discussing Urban Meyer, fall camp started last week.

From everything I'm hearing, Zach Wilson is really putting the pressure on Mangum and Critchlow to up their game. In limited highlight videos, he's had some of the better passes.

Keeping in mind that the video comes from the last 30 minutes of practice, but Mangum doesn't look good to me. From what I've seen, he is not hitting his receivers in stride.

Other notes:

Hoge moving to RB and working with the 1s;

Trevion Greene being carted off the field with some sort of serious injury (as a sidenote, I saw a lot of tape on this guy last season. Unless he's improved in leaps and bounds, this is the one dude in the backfield that is expendable).

Gunner Romney being sidelined with an injury.

Dylan Collie looking good.

Whispers are that the starting O-line is looking good.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

At this point I have no confidence in the QB play. Critchlow looked ok against UNLV last year, but was a dumpster fire against Umass. I'm not sure if there is any comeback for Mangum. Wilson may look good, but he is a freshman. Not optimistic.

The RB situation isn't ideal either. I'm super bummed about Ula Tolutau and I hope he doesn't end up in SLC.

I'm hearing the same optimistic reports out of Provo as I do every August. I've been fooled every season for the past 7 years by this. Maybe this year I'll temper expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    While we were all busy discussing Urban Meyer, fall camp started last week.

From everything I'm hearing, Zach Wilson is really putting the pressure on Mangum and Critchlow to up their game. In limited highlight videos, he's had some of the better passes.

Keeping in mind that the video comes from the last 30 minutes of practice, but Mangum doesn't look good to me. From what I've seen, he is not hitting his receivers in stride.

Other notes:

Hoge moving to RB and working with the 1s;

Trevion Greene being carted off the field with some sort of serious injury (as a sidenote, I saw a lot of tape on this guy last season. Unless he's improved in leaps and bounds, this is the one dude in the backfield that is expendable).

Gunner Romney being sidelined with an injury.

Dylan Collie looking good.

Whispers are that the starting O-line is looking good.
    Where are you seeing the video footage?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Where are you seeing the video footage?
    I had a friend who sent me practice film. He went 1-on-1with Greene a lot and it usually didn’t end well for Greene.

That said, Greene got some pub for his improvement, so maybe it is a l big loss. Either way, I feel bad for the kid.

Quote Originally Posted by USUC View Post
    At this point I have no confidence in the QB play. Critchlow looked ok against UNLV last year, but was a dumpster fire against Umass. I'm not sure if there is any comeback for Mangum. Wilson may look good, but he is a freshman. Not optimistic.

The RB situation isn't ideal either. I'm super bummed about Ula Tolutau and I hope he doesn't end up in SLC.

I'm hearing the same optimistic reports out of Provo as I do every August. I've been fooled every season for the past 7 years by this. Maybe this year I'll temper expectations.
    From what I hear, Ulu is still in Utah Valley. If he were going to Utah, I think we would ha e heard the news already.

Looks like the QB derby may be down to Wilson and Mangum.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-co...terback-derby/

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Looks like the QB derby may be down to Wilson and Mangum.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-co...terback-derby/
    During media time, Wilson apparently looked like the best QB. Mangum our too much air on a few passes. The good news is that the receivers were able to high point the ball Mitch Mathews style.
    Last edited by Green Monstah; 08-07-2018 at 08:59 AM.

During media time, Wilson apparently looked like the best QB. Mangum our too much air on a few passes. The good news is that the receivers were able to high point the ball Mitch Mathews style.
    No way they start the freshman, right? That would be crazy. I thought they got rid of Coach Ty.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I find it interesting that Critchlow did not get any reps in media time. Wonder if he is just getting some rest or if it actually means something.

In the few clips that were shown on YouTube and Twitter from yesterday's practice, Wilson looked best to me. Critchlow's release seemed odd - not sure if it's always been like that or if it was just a small sample size that I'm over-analyzing.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    I find it interesting that Critchlow did not get any reps in media time. Wonder if he is just getting some rest or if it actually means something.
    I read that Critchlow not getting snaps was due to the rotation they are using for practice so his turn just didn’t come up. Grimes said no one should read anything into it...but of course we will because we are fans.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I read that Critchlow not getting snaps was due to the rotation they are using for practice so his turn just didn’t come up. Grimes said no one should read anything into it...but of course we will because we are fans.
    Of course.

I have been following the camp more closely this year, and it has been fun, but expectations are not very high at this point.

But,I have been given my parents season tickets, so I am going to try and at least make the Cal game.

Default Wilson under center?

In the majority of clips, I have seen, Wilson is always in shotgun. In contrast, Mangum is often shown either under center, or in shotgun. From what I understand of Grimes philosophy, his offense strives for balance in all facets; giving the defense a lot of different looks, lining up in a variety of ways, shifting and changing the tempo.

I don’t have any skin in the game. I want the best QB to play. But maybe the freshmans’ footwork, especially under center, is limiting. All things being mostly equal (which appears to be the case), you start the senior with more experience. It may seem like a little thing, but better footwork can suggest there is a QB in this race who is more comfortable in more diverse in-game situations.
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-14-2018 at 07:19 AM.

mangum has a lot of heaps in him - you'd think he'd shine a bit more at least in practice.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    In the majority of clips, I have seen, Wilson is always in shotgun. In contrast, Mangum is often shown either under center, or in shotgun. From what I understand of Grimes philosophy, his offense strives for balance in all facets; giving the defense a lot of different looks, lining up in a variety of ways, shifting and changing the tempo.

I don’t have any skin in the game. I want the best QB to play. But maybe the freshmans’ footwork, especially under center, is limiting. All things being mostly equal (which appears to be the case), you start the senior with more experience. It may seem like a little thing, but better footwork can suggest there is a QB in this race who is more comfortable in more diverse in-game situations.
    I think Mangum is a head case and we have seen what he has to offer, which is not much. If they are equal I go with Wilson.

I was listening to the interview with Roderick from yesterday and he was saying that the WRs think no one says they are any good. You know what. They aren't any good until they prove it. In face they have been one of the worst WR corps in D1 football. I am guessing Navy and Army who catch a combined total of 4 passes per game have better wide receivers. Hey BYU WRs, you freaking suck.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    mangum has a lot of heaps in him - you'd think he'd shine a bit more at least in practice.
    I don't see any Heaps in him. I see a gunslinger who has had to learn three different offenses, on top of dealing with a variety of other issues. That being said, maybe Wilson really is that hard to outshine, which is a huge positive IMO.
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-14-2018 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    I think Mangum is a head case and we have seen what he has to offer, which is not much. If they are equal I go with Wilson.

I was listening to the interview with Roderick from yesterday and he was saying that the WRs think no one says they are any good. You know what. They aren't any good until they prove it. In face they have been one of the worst WR corps in D1 football. I am guessing Navy and Army who catch a combined total of 4 passes per game have better wide receivers. Hey BYU WRs, you freaking suck.
    Ouch ... you've got a bit of a mean streak in you today.
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-14-2018 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Didn’t Grimes say Critchlow was the next great QB at BYU. If he can’t even crack the two deep Mangum and Wilson must look like the second coming of McMahon or you can’t trust a word he says.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Didn’t Grimes say Critchlow was the next great QB at BYU. If he can’t even crack the two deep Mangum and Wilson must look like the second coming of McMahon or you can’t trust a word he says.
    That was Lamb.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    That was Lamb.
    That makes a little more sense.

I don't know how you can say that Tanner has good footwork. He's always looked like his ankles are fused (or wrapped really tightly), and he has a really stiff gait. He doesn't seem fluid at all to me.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
    I don't know how you can say that Tanner has good footwork. He's always looked like his ankles are fused (or wrapped really tightly), and he has a really stiff gait. He doesn't seem fluid at all to me.
    If he is consistently operating under center, he has good footwork. It's a lot harder than it looks. It comes with a lot of coaching and reps. Also, I'm not sure where you get that he isn't fluid. Mangum has good mobility. He was hobbled by injures last year, long before his season ending injury.

Look, If you have a whole slate of plays in your playbook that require your QB be under centre, but have a QB who isn't used to being under centre, and needs more time to develop his footwork, don't you play the QB that gives you the best opportunity to be varied (per your philosophy) in your attack?

It will be interesting to see how a first year OC manages the situation.
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-14-2018 at 09:54 AM.

If he is consistently operating under center, he has good footwork. It's a lot harder than it looks. It comes with a lot of coaching and reps. Also, I'm not sure where you get that he isn't fluid. Mangum has good mobility. He was hobbled by injures last year, long before his season ending injury.

Look, If you have a whole slate of plays in your playbook that require your QB be under centre, but have a QB who isn't used to being under centre, and needs more time to develop his footwork, don't you play the QB that gives you the best opportunity to be varied (per your philosophy) in your attack?

It will be interesting to see how a first year OC manages the situation.
    Wilson took exactly zero snaps under center in high school. IT is probably a work in progress and not something that BYU really wants to throw at him right now.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Wilson took exactly zero snaps under center in high school. IT is probably a work in progress and not something that BYU really wants to throw at him right now.
    What do you think, junkie? You okay with considering Wilson as a starter this season?

Watched a few of his games on-line last season, and that certainly is true from what I saw. I read a rumour that they are purposely keeping him in the gun, to always keep the defence in front of him. Makes sense, but also it's got to be a little frustrating for an OC who may want to have his whole playbook available to him. Then again, if he is the real deal, and with a young O-line and unproven receiving corps, maybe that's what the team will need to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    What do you think, junkie? You okay with considering Wilson as a starter this season?
    I will be honest, I don't see a ton of talent on this team.

QB: Mangum has underachieved in his 7 years at BYU. Wilson seems to have talent but any time you start a true freshman, no matter how good they are it means you lack depth.
    RB: Squally will do great against bad teams, get stifled against everyone else. He is huge this year, if he makes one cut and gets downfield like Jamaal did then we might be ok. The fact that Hoge is already 2nd string is a problem.
    WR: they all suck. Dylan Collie was the 4th best WR at Hawaii last year and he will be our best wideout this year.
    TE: Bushman and MLP should be ok.
    OL: If we have Empey, Hoge and healthy Lui in the middle, we might be ok. The tackles are a huge question mark for me. Hoyt, Shoaf and Brady Christensen don't excite me.

DL: Shit show, Corbins is highly overrated
    LB: We are going to get ran all over with a smaller Butch, and a converted safety in Zayne playing LB. Remember the Matt Hadley experiment at LB last year? Also Takitaki is not good in the run game.

DB: Wilcox is Mike Davis 2.0. Always in position, never makes plays. Shelton makes goatnapper look tall. Safeties should be ok.

I think we are staring at 5-7 wins no matter the QB. So why not start Wilson and let him take his lumps? If you start Wilson you do risk losing Jaren Hall. I also think Ed Lamb said Critchlow was the future just to keep him from transferring.
    *Banned*

So based on what we are seeking from fall camp thus far, what is the realistic expectation to have for this year? Is 6 wins a good year?

Pre-Historic Man

QB: Mangum has underachieved in his 7 years at BYU. Wilson seems to have talent but any time you start a true freshman, no matter how good they are it means you lack depth.
    RB: Squally will do great against bad teams, get stifled against everyone else. He is huge this year, if he makes one cut and gets downfield like Jamaal did then we might be ok. The fact that Hoge is already 2nd string is a problem.
    WR: they all suck. Dylan Collie was the 4th best WR at Hawaii last year and he will be our best wideout this year.
    OL: If we have Empey, Hoge and healthy Lui in the middle, we might be ok. The tackles are a huge question mark for me. Hoyt, Shoaf and Brady Christensen don't excite me.

LB: We are going to get ran all over with a smaller Butch, and a converted safety in Zayne playing LB. Remember the Matt Hadley experiment at LB last year? Also Takitaki is not good in the run game.

DB: Wilcox is Mike Davis 2.0. Always in position, never makes plays. Shelton makes goatnapper look tall. Safeties should be ok.

I think we are staring at 5-7 wins no matter the QB. So why not start Wilson and let him take his lumps? If you start Wilson you do risk losing Jaren Hall. I also think Ed Lamb said Critchlow was the future just to keep him from transferring.
    That's a depressing outlook, but I am not surprised about the lack of talent.

What is your impression of Grimes? Will he be able to get the maximum out of this bunch? What is Mangum's mental state and do you believe his depression is under control?
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Great writeup. Thanks! I do feel quite a bit more comfortable on the OL with Grimes in place. He's a pretty special coach. If the OL is working then it's a force multiplier for everything else on the offense. Which we'll clearly need considering the deficiencies in the D.

As long as 1 of those 5-7 wins is against Utah then I'm happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    That's a depressing outlook, but I am not surprised about the lack of talent.

What is your impression of Grimes? Will he be able to get the maximum out of this bunch? What is Mangum's mental state and do you believe his depression is under control?
    Its called football purgatory. We were not baptized into a power conference before we died. Lets hope our mormon boys can do some serious work for the dead.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...