2018 BYU Football Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    mangum has a lot of heaps in him - you'd think he'd shine a bit more at least in practice.
    I don't see any Heaps in him. I see a gunslinger who has had to learn three different offenses, on top of dealing with a variety of other issues. That being said, maybe Wilson really is that hard to outshine, which is a huge positive IMO.
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-14-2018, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
      I think Mangum is a head case and we have seen what he has to offer, which is not much. If they are equal I go with Wilson.

I was listening to the interview with Roderick from yesterday and he was saying that the WRs think no one says they are any good. You know what. They aren't any good until they prove it. In face they have been one of the worst WR corps in D1 football. I am guessing Navy and Army who catch a combined total of 4 passes per game have better wide receivers. Hey BYU WRs, you freaking suck.
      Ouch ... you've got a bit of a mean streak in you today.
      Last edited by tooblue; 08-14-2018, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        I read that Critchlow not getting snaps was due to the rotation they are using for practice so his turn just didn’t come up. Grimes said no one should read anything into it...but of course we will because we are fans.
        Didn’t Grimes say Critchlow was the next great QB at BYU. If he can’t even crack the two deep Mangum and Wilson must look like the second coming of McMahon or you can’t trust a word he says.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
          Didn’t Grimes say Critchlow was the next great QB at BYU. If he can’t even crack the two deep Mangum and Wilson must look like the second coming of McMahon or you can’t trust a word he says.
          That was Lamb.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
            That was Lamb.
            That makes a little more sense.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
              In the majority of clips, I have seen, Wilson is always in shotgun. In contrast, Mangum is often shown either under center, or in shotgun. From what I understand of Grimes philosophy, his offense strives for balance in all facets; giving the defense a lot of different looks, lining up in a variety of ways, shifting and changing the tempo.

I don’t have any skin in the game. I want the best QB to play. But maybe the freshmans’ footwork, especially under center, is limiting. All things being mostly equal (which appears to be the case), you start the senior with more experience. It may seem like a little thing, but better footwork can suggest there is a QB in this race who is more comfortable in more diverse in-game situations.
              I don't know how you can say that Tanner has good footwork. He's always looked like his ankles are fused (or wrapped really tightly), and he has a really stiff gait. He doesn't seem fluid at all to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                I don't know how you can say that Tanner has good footwork. He's always looked like his ankles are fused (or wrapped really tightly), and he has a really stiff gait. He doesn't seem fluid at all to me.
                If he is consistently operating under center, he has good footwork. It's a lot harder than it looks. It comes with a lot of coaching and reps. Also, I'm not sure where you get that he isn't fluid. Mangum has good mobility. He was hobbled by injures last year, long before his season ending injury.

Look, If you have a whole slate of plays in your playbook that require your QB be under centre, but have a QB who isn't used to being under centre, and needs more time to develop his footwork, don't you play the QB that gives you the best opportunity to be varied (per your philosophy) in your attack?

It will be interesting to see how a first year OC manages the situation.
                Last edited by tooblue; 08-14-2018, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                  If he is consistently operating under center, he has good footwork. It's a lot harder than it looks. It comes with a lot of coaching and reps. Also, I'm not sure where you get that he isn't fluid. Mangum has good mobility. He was hobbled by injures last year, long before his season ending injury.

Look, If you have a whole slate of plays in your playbook that require your QB be under centre, but have a QB who isn't used to being under centre, and needs more time to develop his footwork, don't you play the QB that gives you the best opportunity to be varied (per your philosophy) in your attack?

It will be interesting to see how a first year OC manages the situation.
                  Wilson took exactly zero snaps under center in high school. IT is probably a work in progress and not something that BYU really wants to throw at him right now.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    Wilson took exactly zero snaps under center in high school. IT is probably a work in progress and not something that BYU really wants to throw at him right now.
                    What do you think, junkie? You okay with considering Wilson as a starter this season?

Comment

Watched a few of his games on-line last season, and that certainly is true from what I saw. I read a rumour that they are purposely keeping him in the gun, to always keep the defence in front of him. Makes sense, but also it's got to be a little frustrating for an OC who may want to have his whole playbook available to him. Then again, if he is the real deal, and with a young O-line and unproven receiving corps, maybe that's what the team will need to be successful.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                        What do you think, junkie? You okay with considering Wilson as a starter this season?
                        I will be honest, I don't see a ton of talent on this team.

QB: Mangum has underachieved in his 7 years at BYU. Wilson seems to have talent but any time you start a true freshman, no matter how good they are it means you lack depth.
                        RB: Squally will do great against bad teams, get stifled against everyone else. He is huge this year, if he makes one cut and gets downfield like Jamaal did then we might be ok. The fact that Hoge is already 2nd string is a problem.
                        WR: they all suck. Dylan Collie was the 4th best WR at Hawaii last year and he will be our best wideout this year.
                        TE: Bushman and MLP should be ok.
                        OL: If we have Empey, Hoge and healthy Lui in the middle, we might be ok. The tackles are a huge question mark for me. Hoyt, Shoaf and Brady Christensen don't excite me.

DL: Shit show, Corbins is highly overrated
                        LB: We are going to get ran all over with a smaller Butch, and a converted safety in Zayne playing LB. Remember the Matt Hadley experiment at LB last year? Also Takitaki is not good in the run game.

DB: Wilcox is Mike Davis 2.0. Always in position, never makes plays. Shelton makes goatnapper look tall. Safeties should be ok.

I think we are staring at 5-7 wins no matter the QB. So why not start Wilson and let him take his lumps? If you start Wilson you do risk losing Jaren Hall. I also think Ed Lamb said Critchlow was the future just to keep him from transferring.
                        *Banned*

Comment

So based on what we are seeking from fall camp thus far, what is the realistic expectation to have for this year? Is 6 wins a good year?

Comment

QB: Mangum has underachieved in his 7 years at BYU. Wilson seems to have talent but any time you start a true freshman, no matter how good they are it means you lack depth.
                            RB: Squally will do great against bad teams, get stifled against everyone else. He is huge this year, if he makes one cut and gets downfield like Jamaal did then we might be ok. The fact that Hoge is already 2nd string is a problem.
                            WR: they all suck. Dylan Collie was the 4th best WR at Hawaii last year and he will be our best wideout this year.
                            OL: If we have Empey, Hoge and healthy Lui in the middle, we might be ok. The tackles are a huge question mark for me. Hoyt, Shoaf and Brady Christensen don't excite me.

LB: We are going to get ran all over with a smaller Butch, and a converted safety in Zayne playing LB. Remember the Matt Hadley experiment at LB last year? Also Takitaki is not good in the run game.

DB: Wilcox is Mike Davis 2.0. Always in position, never makes plays. Shelton makes goatnapper look tall. Safeties should be ok.

I think we are staring at 5-7 wins no matter the QB. So why not start Wilson and let him take his lumps? If you start Wilson you do risk losing Jaren Hall. I also think Ed Lamb said Critchlow was the future just to keep him from transferring.
                            That's a depressing outlook, but I am not surprised about the lack of talent.

What is your impression of Grimes? Will he be able to get the maximum out of this bunch? What is Mangum's mental state and do you believe his depression is under control?
                            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Great writeup. Thanks! I do feel quite a bit more comfortable on the OL with Grimes in place. He's a pretty special coach. If the OL is working then it's a force multiplier for everything else on the offense. Which we'll clearly need considering the deficiencies in the D.

As long as 1 of those 5-7 wins is against Utah then I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                                That's a depressing outlook, but I am not surprised about the lack of talent.

What is your impression of Grimes? Will he be able to get the maximum out of this bunch? What is Mangum's mental state and do you believe his depression is under control?
                                Its called football purgatory. We were not baptized into a power conference before we died. Lets hope our mormon boys can do some serious work for the dead.
                                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                                X