Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 BYU Football Camp

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I will be honest, I don't see a ton of talent on this team.

QB: Mangum has underachieved in his 7 years at BYU. Wilson seems to have talent but any time you start a true freshman, no matter how good they are it means you lack depth.
    RB: Squally will do great against bad teams, get stifled against everyone else. He is huge this year, if he makes one cut and gets downfield like Jamaal did then we might be ok. The fact that Hoge is already 2nd string is a problem.
    WR: they all suck. Dylan Collie was the 4th best WR at Hawaii last year and he will be our best wideout this year.
    TE: Bushman and MLP should be ok.
    OL: If we have Empey, Hoge and healthy Lui in the middle, we might be ok. The tackles are a huge question mark for me. Hoyt, Shoaf and Brady Christensen don't excite me.

DL: Shit show, Corbins is highly overrated
    LB: We are going to get ran all over with a smaller Butch, and a converted safety in Zayne playing LB. Remember the Matt Hadley experiment at LB last year? Also Takitaki is not good in the run game.

DB: Wilcox is Mike Davis 2.0. Always in position, never makes plays. Shelton makes goatnapper look tall. Safeties should be ok.

I think we are staring at 5-7 wins no matter the QB. So why not start Wilson and let him take his lumps? If you start Wilson you do risk losing Jaren Hall. I also think Ed Lamb said Critchlow was the future just to keep him from transferring.
    Given cj’s track record, this means we are going to kick ass!!
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

QB: Mangum has underachieved in his 7 years at BYU. Wilson seems to have talent but any time you start a true freshman, no matter how good they are it means you lack depth.
    RB: Squally will do great against bad teams, get stifled against everyone else. He is huge this year, if he makes one cut and gets downfield like Jamaal did then we might be ok. The fact that Hoge is already 2nd string is a problem.
    WR: they all suck. Dylan Collie was the 4th best WR at Hawaii last year and he will be our best wideout this year.
    OL: If we have Empey, Hoge and healthy Lui in the middle, we might be ok. The tackles are a huge question mark for me. Hoyt, Shoaf and Brady Christensen don't excite me.

LB: We are going to get ran all over with a smaller Butch, and a converted safety in Zayne playing LB. Remember the Matt Hadley experiment at LB last year? Also Takitaki is not good in the run game.

DB: Wilcox is Mike Davis 2.0. Always in position, never makes plays. Shelton makes goatnapper look tall. Safeties should be ok.

I think we are staring at 5-7 wins no matter the QB. So why not start Wilson and let him take his lumps? If you start Wilson you do risk losing Jaren Hall. I also think Ed Lamb said Critchlow was the future just to keep him from transferring.
    Thanks for the writeup. Seems pretty believable considering what the team did last year.

Which do you think has more long-term upside - Wilson or Hall?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    his track record only sucks with respect to his Utah predictions...
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Its called football purgatory. We were not baptized into a power conference before we died. Lets hope our mormon boys can do some serious work for the dead.
    Being mediocre is less fun when you lose to Utah every year.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Pre-Historic Man

News from Criddle says Zach Wilson will start. Not a great sign.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Thanks for the writeup. Seems pretty believable considering what the team did last year.

Which do you think has more long-term upside - Wilson or Hall?
    I was really high on Hall in high school. But he is a good enough athlete he can play anywhere. I think Wilson might be more athletic than Hall, he played in a pass heavy system that put up a lot of points. I think he is the better play long term. With the front half of this schedule, he might not look very good for awhile. If the coaches choose Wilson they will have to ride it out and not play the rotating qb game.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    News from Criddle says Zach Wilson will start. Not a great sign.

Ugh ... I think we are looking at 4 - 5 wins.

Quote Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
    Great writeup. Thanks! I do feel quite a bit more comfortable on the OL with Grimes in place. He's a pretty special coach. If the OL is working then it's a force multiplier for everything else on the offense. Which we'll clearly need considering the deficiencies in the D.

As long as 1 of those 5-7 wins is against Utah then I'm happy.
    This is the key. Grimes and Pugh have to improve the O-line play. Especially against P-5 teams. If we can establish the line of scrimmage, run the ball effectively, that will take a lot of pressure off Wilson and/or Mangum. It will also keep our defense off the field. One thing BYU will always struggle with is depth. The more we can keep guys fresh, the better we will be. I am high on Grimes and Pugh when it comes to developing the O-line. Grimes play calling will be where the biggest learning curve comes in. I think he has been around enough offenses he knows what he wants to run and what formations and schemes will work. It is a matter of execution and calling the right plays against the right defense.
    *Banned*

Realistic: 5 wins
    - McNeese State
    - Hawaii
    - Northern Illinois
    - UMass
    - NMSU

Optimistic: 6 wins
    - add Utah State

Blue-eyed goggles: 7 wins
    - In order to win 7 we would need to beat one of AZ, Wisconsin, Washington, Boise State or Utah on the road, or beat Cal at home. I'm always hopeful, but not optimistic.

Pure fantasy: 8+ wins.
    If this happens Grimes should get a statue on the quad next to Brother Brigham himself.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Realistic: 5 wins
    - McNeese State
    - Hawaii
    - Northern Illinois
    - UMass
    - NMSU

Optimistic: 6 wins
    - add Utah State

Blue-eyed goggles: 7 wins
    - In order to win 7 we would need to beat one of AZ, Wisconsin, Washington, Boise State or Utah on the road, or beat Cal at home. I'm always hopeful, but not optimistic.

Pure fantasy: 8+ wins.
    If this happens Grimes should get a statue on the quad next to Brother Brigham himself.
    Preseason top 25:

Wisconsin #3
    Washington #4
    Arizona #19
    Boise #25

It's looking good.
    *Banned*

Pre-Historic Man

Preseason top 25:

Wisconsin #3
    Washington #4
    Arizona #19
    Boise #25

It's looking good.
    Why do you believe Grimes stepped into this mess? He wasn't getting offers to move up?

He sure stepped into a situation that has a lot of downside but not much upside.
    Last edited by Topper; 08-14-2018 at 05:21 PM.

Why do you believe Grimes stepped into this mess? He wasn't getting offers to move up?

He should stepped into a situation that has a lot of downside but not much upside.
    Its his chance to be an OC and call plays. Also BYU opened the checkbook. He will get time to turn things around. It may not be with Kalani, but Grimes will get some time unless he is successful and moves up.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    MoLAUre. It would be nice if you kept quiet while interesting people are posting. Thank you.

Pre-Historic Man

MoLAUre. It would be nice if you kept quiet while interesting people are posting. Thank you.
    Is that LAUte's evil twin?

You attending any of fall camp or is your take based on what's publicly available?

I guess we don't know what we have with Gunner, yet. People hoping he's Austin Collie 2.0.

Simon looking sucky, too?

I didn't watch the interview but apparently Merrill Hoge isn't a big fan of the position switch for Beau. Seemed only a matter of time before he brought in some fire.

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    You attending any of fall camp or is your take based on what's publicly available?

I guess we don't know what we have with Gunner, yet. People hoping he's Austin Collie 2.0.

Simon looking sucky, too?
    Gunner is injured. I thought CJ was attending practices.

I didn't watch the interview but apparently Merrill Hoge isn't a big fan of the position switch for Beau. Seemed only a matter of time before he brought in some fire.
    I think Beau received a fair shot last year. For Merrill to publicly call Ed Lamb a weasel. Then bash BYUs offense saying the playbook looks like something he would run in 12th grade is pretty bad. Beau at best was 3rd on the depth chart behind Wilson and Mangum. Probably 4th behind Critchlow based on last year and Hall beat out Critchlow. So he might have actually been 5th. The fact that his dad would rather have him 5th string QB instead of 2nd string RB that's a bit ridiculous.

I get being a protective parent but he comes off real bad in that interview. You can't bash the offense and call it gimmicky. Then rip the rest of the team saying they will be "highly overmatched" 4 of the first 5 games. We already know that. But you are a douche for saying it.
    *Banned*

I think Beau received a fair shot last year. For Merrill to publicly call Ed Lamb a weasel. Then bash BYUs offense saying the playbook looks like something he would run in 12th grade is pretty bad. Beau at best was 3rd on the depth chart behind Wilson and Mangum. Probably 4th behind Critchlow based on last year and Hall beat out Critchlow. So he might have actually been 5th. The fact that his dad would rather have him 5th string QB instead of 2nd string RB that's a bit ridiculous.

I get being a protective parent but he comes off real bad in that interview. You can't bash the offense and call it gimmicky. Then rip the rest of the team saying they will be "highly overmatched" 4 of the first 5 games. We already know that. But you are a douche for saying it.
    From the sound of his comments it sound like he thinks his kid should be starting. Sigh.

Beau putting out the fire with a lot of class.

DkrnyfEVsAAQu7n.jpg
    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by originalsocal View Post
    From the sound of his comments it sound like he thinks his kid should be starting. Sigh.
    If he wanted him to start he should have directed him to his alma mater, Idaho State is always looking for a few good players.

Quote Originally Posted by Copelius View Post
    Beau putting out the fire with a lot of class.

DkrnyfEVsAAQu7n.jpg
    Wow, great response by Hoge.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Wow, great response by Hoge.
    Agree. Very impressive.

Apparently, Wilson outplayed Tanner in the scrimmage today.

The one surprise report is that the D-line dominated the O-line. This probably should make me happy, but mostly makes me sad. I thought the o-line was a big strength and the D-line was a glaring weakness on this team.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Pre-Historic Man

What do those of you watch camp or follow the changes more closely think of the five or so position changes on defense, moving the CBs to Safety, Zayne Anderson to flash Linebacker, whatever that is, and Takitaki back to OLB. That's only four. Hadley moved to offense. It seems as if it creates a lot of inexperience at the positions which the defensive players will be playing. Any cause for concern?

What do those of you watch camp or follow the changes more closely think of the five or so position changes on defense, moving the CBs to Safety, Zayne Anderson to flash Linebacker, whatever that is, and Takitaki back to OLB. That's only four. Hadley moved to offense. It seems as if it creates a lot of inexperience at the positions which the defensive players will be playing. Any cause for concern?
    Overall, we’re thin at backer, and I think Anderson will be good against the pass. TBD on stopping the run. I’ve heard good things about his camp Overall.

Takitaki worries me. He’s a bit of a one trick pony, so we’ll see how he does at run defense and in coverage. .

Do not care about Hadley. If he sees the field in either side if the ball, it’s a really bad sign. Same for Jacobsen.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

It feels weird to have a camp with so little hype. It will feel weird to have expectations set during camp met during the season.