2018 BYU Football Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 BYU Football Camp

While we were all busy discussing Urban Meyer, fall camp started last week.

From everything I'm hearing, Zach Wilson is really putting the pressure on Mangum and Critchlow to up their game. In limited highlight videos, he's had some of the better passes.

Keeping in mind that the video comes from the last 30 minutes of practice, but Mangum doesn't look good to me. From what I've seen, he is not hitting his receivers in stride.

Other notes:

Hoge moving to RB and working with the 1s;

Trevion Greene being carted off the field with some sort of serious injury (as a sidenote, I saw a lot of tape on this guy last season. Unless he's improved in leaps and bounds, this is the one dude in the backfield that is expendable).

Gunner Romney being sidelined with an injury.

Dylan Collie looking good.

Whispers are that the starting O-line is looking good.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

At this point I have no confidence in the QB play. Critchlow looked ok against UNLV last year, but was a dumpster fire against Umass. I'm not sure if there is any comeback for Mangum. Wilson may look good, but he is a freshman. Not optimistic.

The RB situation isn't ideal either. I'm super bummed about Ula Tolutau and I hope he doesn't end up in SLC.

I'm hearing the same optimistic reports out of Provo as I do every August. I've been fooled every season for the past 7 years by this. Maybe this year I'll temper expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
      While we were all busy discussing Urban Meyer, fall camp started last week.

From everything I'm hearing, Zach Wilson is really putting the pressure on Mangum and Critchlow to up their game. In limited highlight videos, he's had some of the better passes.

Keeping in mind that the video comes from the last 30 minutes of practice, but Mangum doesn't look good to me. From what I've seen, he is not hitting his receivers in stride.

Other notes:

Hoge moving to RB and working with the 1s;

Trevion Greene being carted off the field with some sort of serious injury (as a sidenote, I saw a lot of tape on this guy last season. Unless he's improved in leaps and bounds, this is the one dude in the backfield that is expendable).

Gunner Romney being sidelined with an injury.

Dylan Collie looking good.

Whispers are that the starting O-line is looking good.
      Where are you seeing the video footage?
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        Where are you seeing the video footage?
        I had a friend who sent me practice film. He went 1-on-1with Greene a lot and it usually didn’t end well for Greene.

That said, Greene got some pub for his improvement, so maybe it is a l big loss. Either way, I feel bad for the kid.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post
          At this point I have no confidence in the QB play. Critchlow looked ok against UNLV last year, but was a dumpster fire against Umass. I'm not sure if there is any comeback for Mangum. Wilson may look good, but he is a freshman. Not optimistic.

The RB situation isn't ideal either. I'm super bummed about Ula Tolutau and I hope he doesn't end up in SLC.

I'm hearing the same optimistic reports out of Provo as I do every August. I've been fooled every season for the past 7 years by this. Maybe this year I'll temper expectations.
          From what I hear, Ulu is still in Utah Valley. If he were going to Utah, I think we would ha e heard the news already.

Comment

Looks like the QB derby may be down to Wilson and Mangum.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-co...terback-derby/

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
              Looks like the QB derby may be down to Wilson and Mangum.

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-co...terback-derby/
              During media time, Wilson apparently looked like the best QB. Mangum our too much air on a few passes. The good news is that the receivers were able to high point the ball Mitch Mathews style.
              Last edited by Green Monstah; 08-07-2018, 08:59 AM.

Comment

During media time, Wilson apparently looked like the best QB. Mangum our too much air on a few passes. The good news is that the receivers were able to high point the ball Mitch Mathews style.
                No way they start the freshman, right? That would be crazy. I thought they got rid of Coach Ty.
                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I find it interesting that Critchlow did not get any reps in media time. Wonder if he is just getting some rest or if it actually means something.

Comment

In the few clips that were shown on YouTube and Twitter from yesterday's practice, Wilson looked best to me. Critchlow's release seemed odd - not sure if it's always been like that or if it was just a small sample size that I'm over-analyzing.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                      I find it interesting that Critchlow did not get any reps in media time. Wonder if he is just getting some rest or if it actually means something.
                      I read that Critchlow not getting snaps was due to the rotation they are using for practice so his turn just didn’t come up. Grimes said no one should read anything into it...but of course we will because we are fans.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        I read that Critchlow not getting snaps was due to the rotation they are using for practice so his turn just didn’t come up. Grimes said no one should read anything into it...but of course we will because we are fans.
                        Of course.

I have been following the camp more closely this year, and it has been fun, but expectations are not very high at this point.

But,I have been given my parents season tickets, so I am going to try and at least make the Cal game.

Comment

Wilson under center?

In the majority of clips, I have seen, Wilson is always in shotgun. In contrast, Mangum is often shown either under center, or in shotgun. From what I understand of Grimes philosophy, his offense strives for balance in all facets; giving the defense a lot of different looks, lining up in a variety of ways, shifting and changing the tempo.

I don’t have any skin in the game. I want the best QB to play. But maybe the freshmans’ footwork, especially under center, is limiting. All things being mostly equal (which appears to be the case), you start the senior with more experience. It may seem like a little thing, but better footwork can suggest there is a QB in this race who is more comfortable in more diverse in-game situations.
                          Last edited by tooblue; 08-14-2018, 07:19 AM.

Comment

mangum has a lot of heaps in him - you'd think he'd shine a bit more at least in practice.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                              In the majority of clips, I have seen, Wilson is always in shotgun. In contrast, Mangum is often shown either under center, or in shotgun. From what I understand of Grimes philosophy, his offense strives for balance in all facets; giving the defense a lot of different looks, lining up in a variety of ways, shifting and changing the tempo.

I don’t have any skin in the game. I want the best QB to play. But maybe the freshmans’ footwork, especially under center, is limiting. All things being mostly equal (which appears to be the case), you start the senior with more experience. It may seem like a little thing, but better footwork can suggest there is a QB in this race who is more comfortable in more diverse in-game situations.
                              I think Mangum is a head case and we have seen what he has to offer, which is not much. If they are equal I go with Wilson.

I was listening to the interview with Roderick from yesterday and he was saying that the WRs think no one says they are any good. You know what. They aren't any good until they prove it. In face they have been one of the worst WR corps in D1 football. I am guessing Navy and Army who catch a combined total of 4 passes per game have better wide receivers. Hey BYU WRs, you freaking suck.

Comment

Working...
                              X