2018 BYU Football Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
    I will be honest, I don't see a ton of talent on this team.

QB: Mangum has underachieved in his 7 years at BYU. Wilson seems to have talent but any time you start a true freshman, no matter how good they are it means you lack depth.
    RB: Squally will do great against bad teams, get stifled against everyone else. He is huge this year, if he makes one cut and gets downfield like Jamaal did then we might be ok. The fact that Hoge is already 2nd string is a problem.
    WR: they all suck. Dylan Collie was the 4th best WR at Hawaii last year and he will be our best wideout this year.
    TE: Bushman and MLP should be ok.
    OL: If we have Empey, Hoge and healthy Lui in the middle, we might be ok. The tackles are a huge question mark for me. Hoyt, Shoaf and Brady Christensen don't excite me.

DL: Shit show, Corbins is highly overrated
    LB: We are going to get ran all over with a smaller Butch, and a converted safety in Zayne playing LB. Remember the Matt Hadley experiment at LB last year? Also Takitaki is not good in the run game.

DB: Wilcox is Mike Davis 2.0. Always in position, never makes plays. Shelton makes goatnapper look tall. Safeties should be ok.

I think we are staring at 5-7 wins no matter the QB. So why not start Wilson and let him take his lumps? If you start Wilson you do risk losing Jaren Hall. I also think Ed Lamb said Critchlow was the future just to keep him from transferring.
    Given cj’s track record, this means we are going to kick ass!! :rockon2:
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

QB: Mangum has underachieved in his 7 years at BYU. Wilson seems to have talent but any time you start a true freshman, no matter how good they are it means you lack depth.
      RB: Squally will do great against bad teams, get stifled against everyone else. He is huge this year, if he makes one cut and gets downfield like Jamaal did then we might be ok. The fact that Hoge is already 2nd string is a problem.
      WR: they all suck. Dylan Collie was the 4th best WR at Hawaii last year and he will be our best wideout this year.
      OL: If we have Empey, Hoge and healthy Lui in the middle, we might be ok. The tackles are a huge question mark for me. Hoyt, Shoaf and Brady Christensen don't excite me.

LB: We are going to get ran all over with a smaller Butch, and a converted safety in Zayne playing LB. Remember the Matt Hadley experiment at LB last year? Also Takitaki is not good in the run game.

DB: Wilcox is Mike Davis 2.0. Always in position, never makes plays. Shelton makes goatnapper look tall. Safeties should be ok.

I think we are staring at 5-7 wins no matter the QB. So why not start Wilson and let him take his lumps? If you start Wilson you do risk losing Jaren Hall. I also think Ed Lamb said Critchlow was the future just to keep him from transferring.
      Thanks for the writeup. Seems pretty believable considering what the team did last year.

Which do you think has more long-term upside - Wilson or Hall?
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        his track record only sucks with respect to his Utah predictions...
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          Its called football purgatory. We were not baptized into a power conference before we died. Lets hope our mormon boys can do some serious work for the dead.
          Being mediocre is less fun when you lose to Utah every year.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

News from Criddle says Zach Wilson will start. Not a great sign.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              Thanks for the writeup. Seems pretty believable considering what the team did last year.

Which do you think has more long-term upside - Wilson or Hall?
              I was really high on Hall in high school. But he is a good enough athlete he can play anywhere. I think Wilson might be more athletic than Hall, he played in a pass heavy system that put up a lot of points. I think he is the better play long term. With the front half of this schedule, he might not look very good for awhile. If the coaches choose Wilson they will have to ride it out and not play the rotating qb game.
              *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                News from Criddle says Zach Wilson will start. Not a great sign.

Ugh ... I think we are looking at 4 - 5 wins.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  Great writeup. Thanks! I do feel quite a bit more comfortable on the OL with Grimes in place. He's a pretty special coach. If the OL is working then it's a force multiplier for everything else on the offense. Which we'll clearly need considering the deficiencies in the D.

As long as 1 of those 5-7 wins is against Utah then I'm happy.
                  This is the key. Grimes and Pugh have to improve the O-line play. Especially against P-5 teams. If we can establish the line of scrimmage, run the ball effectively, that will take a lot of pressure off Wilson and/or Mangum. It will also keep our defense off the field. One thing BYU will always struggle with is depth. The more we can keep guys fresh, the better we will be. I am high on Grimes and Pugh when it comes to developing the O-line. Grimes play calling will be where the biggest learning curve comes in. I think he has been around enough offenses he knows what he wants to run and what formations and schemes will work. It is a matter of execution and calling the right plays against the right defense.
                  *Banned*

Comment

Realistic: 5 wins
                    - McNeese State
                    - Hawaii
                    - Northern Illinois
                    - UMass
                    - NMSU

Optimistic: 6 wins
                    - add Utah State

Blue-eyed goggles: 7 wins
                    - In order to win 7 we would need to beat one of AZ, Wisconsin, Washington, Boise State or Utah on the road, or beat Cal at home. I'm always hopeful, but not optimistic.

Pure fantasy: 8+ wins.
                    If this happens Grimes should get a statue on the quad next to Brother Brigham himself.

Comment

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                      Realistic: 5 wins
                      - McNeese State
                      - Hawaii
                      - Northern Illinois
                      - UMass
                      - NMSU

Optimistic: 6 wins
                      - add Utah State

Blue-eyed goggles: 7 wins
                      - In order to win 7 we would need to beat one of AZ, Wisconsin, Washington, Boise State or Utah on the road, or beat Cal at home. I'm always hopeful, but not optimistic.

Pure fantasy: 8+ wins.
                      If this happens Grimes should get a statue on the quad next to Brother Brigham himself.
                      Preseason top 25:

Wisconsin #3
                      Washington #4
                      Arizona #19
                      Boise #25

It's looking good.
                      *Banned*

Comment

Preseason top 25:

Wisconsin #3
                        Washington #4
                        Arizona #19
                        Boise #25

It's looking good.
                        Why do you believe Grimes stepped into this mess? He wasn't getting offers to move up?

He sure stepped into a situation that has a lot of downside but not much upside.
                        Last edited by Topper; 08-14-2018, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
                          Why do you believe Grimes stepped into this mess? He wasn't getting offers to move up?

He should stepped into a situation that has a lot of downside but not much upside.
                          Its his chance to be an OC and call plays. Also BYU opened the checkbook. He will get time to turn things around. It may not be with Kalani, but Grimes will get some time unless he is successful and moves up.
                          *Banned*

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                            MoLAUre. It would be nice if you kept quiet while interesting people are posting. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                              MoLAUre. It would be nice if you kept quiet while interesting people are posting. Thank you.
                              Is that LAUte's evil twin?

Comment

You attending any of fall camp or is your take based on what's publicly available?

I guess we don't know what we have with Gunner, yet. People hoping he's Austin Collie 2.0.

Simon looking sucky, too?

Comment

Working...
                                X