Ocasio-Cortez, a poor [wo]man’s Bernie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That article is a load of crap. It starts out by repeating the lie that people were upset by the dancing video and goes down from there.
    Some people in the Twitterverse said the dancing video was evidence she didn't the background she claimed she did.

Comment

• I'm sure plenty of Republicans were upset by the dancing video. And not for the reasons articulated by the villains in the Paramount Pictures feature film Footloose.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
        Some people in the Twitterverse said the dancing video was evidence she didn't the background she claimed she did.
        Who cares if one or two idiots on twitter said that? OAC, democratic leaders, and a bunch of talking heads in the media claimed that there was a huge negative response by the right to the dancing video. That is complete nonsense.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Please pass a constitutional amendment so Rep AOC can run for president...

Lots of great responses.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• girls political ideas are coo-coo for cocoa puffs but I like her desire to be anti establishment
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              Please pass a constitutional amendment so Rep AOC can run for president...

Lots of great responses.
              Yeah, lots of people were excited to see Trump run for President too.

But I guess you are the Steve Bannon type who wants to burn the whole institution down so I guess it fits.
              Last edited by beefytee; 01-09-2019, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Who cares if one or two idiots on twitter said that? OAC, democratic leaders, and a bunch of talking heads in the media claimed that there was a huge negative response by the right to the dancing video. That is complete nonsense.
                Sure it’s exagerated but it wasn’t a non-response. I’m sure Ted’s feed was all abuzz.

Comment

Sure it’s exagerated but it wasn’t a non-response. I’m sure Ted’s feed was all abuzz.
                  This is a tendency that I hate. People cherry pick some nutjob response on social media, retweet it like crazy, and then pretend that it was significant or normative somehow. It is lazy, dishonest, and divisive.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

This is a tendency that I hate. People cherry pick some nutjob response on social media, retweet it like crazy, and then pretend that it was significant or normative somehow. It is lazy, dishonest, and divisive.
                    That’s fair but we have a whole thread devoted to all that with the fascism on campus stuff. It’s people retweeting nut jobs as well as nut jobs and bots retweeting nut jobs. I mostly stay off Twitter.

Comment

That’s fair but we have a whole thread devoted to all that with the fascism on campus stuff. It’s people retweeting nut jobs as well as nut jobs and bots retweeting nut jobs. I mostly stay off Twitter.
                      Apples and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        It's a real problem with our sense-making apparatus having been tampered with. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference between some idea that is being significantly accepted/rejected and something being ridiculously amplified for propaganda/political purposes. The mechanisms for mass indoctrination of a people through propaganda are a very-well studied and practiced discipline. This is not a secret, the cold war allowed for plenty of time for these skills to be developed, practiced, and honed. We are all guilty of adopting world views based at least partly on the misinformation campaigns of self-interested parties.

If we're going to move forward, we are going to have to learn to be more adept at recognizing the symptoms of ideologies. As Haidt stated in the Joe Rogan, podcast, "nuance" is his word of 2019.

Here's my favorite depiction:

Attached Files
                        Last edited by swampfrog; 01-09-2019, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Apples and oranges.
                          If you say so.

Comment

• Heh... AOC learns about employer taxes:

Ocasio-Cortez's campaign fined by state for failing to carry workers' comp coverage

The campaign for new Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who has made helping the working class and poor her top priority, was fined by the state for not carrying workers’ compensation coverage for a month last year.
                            “The employer did not have the required workers’ compensation coverage from March 31, 2018, to April 30, 2018, and was issued a final penalty of $1,500, which was paid,” state Workers Compensation Board spokeswoman Melissa Stewart said. “This coverage is vital to ensuring workers are protected for on-the-job injuries.”
                            [...]
                            https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...110-story.html

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              It cracks me up when they say that the USA had its highest marginal top tax rate in the 50s and still had incredible growth as if we are somehow in a similar period now The two periods are not even close to relatable. In the 50s the USA was coming out of the war as well as a decades long depression and the dynamics of the economy had changed so dramatically that almost nothing could have stopped the necessary growth.

Granted, I’m not opposed to a higher marginal tax rate on income above $10mm but the arguments being made for it are dumb. And AOC is not smart just because she can parrot lines that Krugman and his friends are feeding her.
                              Also, they were in the midst of the Korean War, right? I could be wrong, but government arms spending has to be a significant boost to the economy.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                Heh... AOC learns about employer taxes:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...110-story.html

Sitting on pins and needles for her next clerical error.

Comment

Working...
                                X