Ocasio-Cortez, a poor [wo]man’s Bernie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queue the video...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

Queue the video...

Convening a Select Committee on a Green New Deal will save lives. Make it so.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Queue the video...

Never gets old.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Is AOC teh dumbest person elected to Congress? I'd say no since there is that one guy that thought Guam was going to capsize. Sheila Jackson Lee is also in Congress. Biden was a buffoon, but he was a likable buffoon. Maybe Michelle Bachman?
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            Is AOC teh dumbest person elected to Congress? I'd say no since there is that one guy that thought Guam was going to capsize. Sheila Jackson Lee is also in Congress. Biden was a buffoon, but he was a likable buffoon. Maybe Michelle Bachman?
            No, she is just the most active on social media. That means we get the most exposure with the least filtering.
            τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

AOC discovers that congress is exempt from eating their own dog food, aka Obamacare....

I wonder how long it will take her to figure out that she is also exempt from insider trading.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This young, woefully inexperienced, naive, pretty much irrelevant member of Congress is the sure downfall of our country and probably all of civilization. Also the caravan is an invading force full of criminals and thugs coming here to KILL you. Panic and run for your lives if you want to survive! Gotta love Fox NOISE!

A little bit of an overreaction to her from right wing media, I think. She comes from an ultra-liberal district where barely any Republicans live, and just happened to catch the old-school traditional liberal sleeping during the primary. Sure, anyone who puts themselves out there for public office kind of deserves it to some degree. Can't help but thinking she's even more of a lightning rod because she's Hispanic and female though.
                Last edited by BlueK; 12-03-2018, 11:04 AM.

Comment

AOC figures out how to pay for 2/3rds of her Medicare for All plan...

Or not:

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This newly elected group gives me some hope.

https://theintercept.com/2018/12/03/...congress-trip/

RASHIDA TLAIB, A Democratic representative-elect from Michigan, belongs to a cohort of incoming members of Congress who’ve vowed to upend the status quo — even on third-rail issues in Washington like the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. To that end, Tlaib is planning to lead a congressional delegation to the Israeli-occupied West Bank, she told The Intercept. Her planned trip is a swift rebuke of a decades-old tradition for newly elected members: a junket to Israel sponsored by the education arm of the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, known as AIPAC, the powerful pro-Israel lobby group.
                    You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                    Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                    You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

AOC figures out how to pay for 2/3rds of her Medicare for All plan...
                      Maybe, just maybe, people are calling her dumb not because she is a woman or hispanic, but because she is really and truly dumb. Intelligence as a criteria for congress has never been that important. Being young, attractive, likeable and energetically enthusiastic are all just as or even more important.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        Maybe, just maybe, people are calling her dumb not because she is a woman or hispanic, but because she is really and truly dumb. Intelligence as a criteria for congress has never been that important. Being young, attractive, likeable and energetically enthusiastic are all just as or even more important.
                        She's by far not the only dumb one in there.

But she is getting a disproportionate amount of attention right now from both sides for being young, enthusiastic and attractive. It's positive attention from the liberals and negative from the conservatives. But I also think it's a fact that being Hispanic among the Trump brand of "conservatives" these days is about as popular as being LDS among ultra-conservative evangelicals. I don't think you can ignore that as a factor among that crowd.
                        Last edited by BlueK; 12-03-2018, 01:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          That's cute you don't see racism as a factor.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                            Its cute that you imply stupidity isn't a factor. Because she has said some really stupid things.

I never said it could be excluded as a factor. But it is just as likely that her surprising grass roots victory coupled with her remarkably obtuse comments about political processes and financial realities are the cause of the focus on her as her race. I actually think she is clever in a some ways, as she knows how to get her face on the camera and seems to understand how to build alliances and draw focus on her issues.

Here's the thing: The evidence, as in actual printed things one can point to that she has said, that she is not smart about some very fundamental issues and that she is driven by her conclusions regardless of reality, is compelling and substantial. The evidence that she is only noticed because she is a woman and a minority is much less compelling and almost all, if not exclusively, inferential. I don't see a lot of unduly negative attention being given to the other women and minority newly elected congress persons. WHat's the difference? They aren't saying really dumb things is the most obvious answer.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post

I’m sure many think she’s dumb because they are racist. I think she’s dumb because she says/tweets dumb or false things.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

I’m sure many think she’s dumb because they are racist. I think she’s dumb because she says/tweets dumb or false things.
                                That seems to be the thing to do these days to get elected.

Comment

Working...
                                X