Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Ocasio-Cortez, a poor [wo]manís Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    That article is a load of crap. It starts out by repeating the lie that people were upset by the dancing video and goes down from there.
    Some people in the Twitterverse said the dancing video was evidence she didn't the background she claimed she did.

I'm sure plenty of Republicans were upset by the dancing video. And not for the reasons articulated by the villains in the Paramount Pictures feature film Footloose.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by frank ryan View Post
    Some people in the Twitterverse said the dancing video was evidence she didn't the background she claimed she did.
    Who cares if one or two idiots on twitter said that? OAC, democratic leaders, and a bunch of talking heads in the media claimed that there was a huge negative response by the right to the dancing video. That is complete nonsense.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Please pass a constitutional amendment so Rep AOC can run for president...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

girls political ideas are coo-coo for cocoa puffs but I like her desire to be anti establishment
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Please pass a constitutional amendment so Rep AOC can run for president...

Yeah, lots of people were excited to see Trump run for President too.

But I guess you are the Steve Bannon type who wants to burn the whole institution down so I guess it fits.
    Last edited by beefytee; 01-09-2019 at 01:02 PM.

Who cares if one or two idiots on twitter said that? OAC, democratic leaders, and a bunch of talking heads in the media claimed that there was a huge negative response by the right to the dancing video. That is complete nonsense.
    Sure it’s exagerated but it wasn’t a non-response. I’m sure Ted’s feed was all abuzz.

Sure it’s exagerated but it wasn’t a non-response. I’m sure Ted’s feed was all abuzz.
    This is a tendency that I hate. People cherry pick some nutjob response on social media, retweet it like crazy, and then pretend that it was significant or normative somehow. It is lazy, dishonest, and divisive.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

This is a tendency that I hate. People cherry pick some nutjob response on social media, retweet it like crazy, and then pretend that it was significant or normative somehow. It is lazy, dishonest, and divisive.
    That’s fair but we have a whole thread devoted to all that with the fascism on campus stuff. It’s people retweeting nut jobs as well as nut jobs and bots retweeting nut jobs. I mostly stay off Twitter.

That’s fair but we have a whole thread devoted to all that with the fascism on campus stuff. It’s people retweeting nut jobs as well as nut jobs and bots retweeting nut jobs. I mostly stay off Twitter.
    Apples and oranges.

Thatís fair but we have a whole thread devoted to all that with the fascism on campus stuff. Itís people retweeting nut jobs as well as nut jobs and bots retweeting nut jobs. I mostly stay off Twitter.
    It's a real problem with our sense-making apparatus having been tampered with. It's nearly impossible to tell the difference between some idea that is being significantly accepted/rejected and something being ridiculously amplified for propaganda/political purposes. The mechanisms for mass indoctrination of a people through propaganda are a very-well studied and practiced discipline. This is not a secret, the cold war allowed for plenty of time for these skills to be developed, practiced, and honed. We are all guilty of adopting world views based at least partly on the misinformation campaigns of self-interested parties.

If we're going to move forward, we are going to have to learn to be more adept at recognizing the symptoms of ideologies. As Haidt stated in the Joe Rogan, podcast, "nuance" is his word of 2019.

Here's my favorite depiction:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by swampfrog; 01-09-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Apples and oranges.
    If you say so.

Heh... AOC learns about employer taxes:

Ocasio-Cortez's campaign fined by state for failing to carry workers' comp coverage

The campaign for new Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, who has made helping the working class and poor her top priority, was fined by the state for not carrying workersí compensation coverage for a month last year.
    ďThe employer did not have the required workersí compensation coverage from March 31, 2018, to April 30, 2018, and was issued a final penalty of $1,500, which was paid,Ē state Workers Compensation Board spokeswoman Melissa Stewart said. ďThis coverage is vital to ensuring workers are protected for on-the-job injuries.Ē
    [...]
    https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...110-story.html

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    It cracks me up when they say that the USA had its highest marginal top tax rate in the 50s and still had incredible growth as if we are somehow in a similar period now The two periods are not even close to relatable. In the 50s the USA was coming out of the war as well as a decades long depression and the dynamics of the economy had changed so dramatically that almost nothing could have stopped the necessary growth.

Granted, Iím not opposed to a higher marginal tax rate on income above $10mm but the arguments being made for it are dumb. And AOC is not smart just because she can parrot lines that Krugman and his friends are feeding her.
    Also, they were in the midst of the Korean War, right? I could be wrong, but government arms spending has to be a significant boost to the economy.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    Heh... AOC learns about employer taxes:

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/pol...110-story.html

Sitting on pins and needles for her next clerical error.

Ocasio-Cortez: System that allows billionaires is ‘immoral’

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez said in an interview on Monday that she believes a system that allows people to become billionaires is “immoral.”

The New York Democrat made the statement while responding to a question from writer Ta-Nehisi Coates at a Martin Luther King Jr. Day event in Harlem.
    [...]
    https://nypost.com/2019/01/22/ocasio...es-is-immoral/

Yeah, let that immoral Jeff Bezos pay for the immoral wall!
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    ... but I like her his desire to be anti establishment
    This is what a lot of sane, not-stupid people said about Trump. Look where that got us.

"Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    This is what a lot of sane, not-stupid people said about Trump. Look where that got us.
    Iíd love to see AOC and Trump debate economic policy. The combined IQ would probably not break 100.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, ďspectator discipleshipĒ is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Nothing matters anyway. The world is ending in 12 years

Default Ocasio-Cortez, a poor [wo]manís Bernie

Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    True. I donít vote for people that are coo coo for Cocoa Puffs, as such, neither Trump or AOC would ever get my vote. All I said was I like her moxie despite her being wrong about pretty much everything (in my opinion). Same could be said for Trump. He gets more of my ire because he currently has more influence. Also there is more evidence of Trump being a truly despicable human. AOC (while seeming dumb and naive) does not appear to have the same character flaws, so there is that difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post

only if we don't address climate change. so 12 years from now when we're still plugging along, she can claim we addressed climate change - though not enough!
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post

Eat, drink, and be merry... For tomorrow we die!

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

So weird watching Repubs point the finger at Ocasio-Cortez. "She's so crazy. She's an idiot. Did you hear what she said?!?"

Ummm, excuse me?

dBeJZJZ.jpg
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed mostówatching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    So weird watching Repubs point the finger at Ocasio-Cortez. "She's so crazy. She's an idiot. Did you hear what she said?!?"

Ummm, excuse me?

dBeJZJZ.jpg
    #whatabouttrump!

Ummm, excuse me?
    I don't think she's crazy or an idiot on her own merits. She's a very young female member of Congress. They don't award people seats in the House as participation trophies. Argue with her ideas if they seem outlandish, but the exaggerated chauvinistic dismissiveness is eye-rollingly stupid.
    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I don't think she's crazy or an idiot on her own merits. She's a very young female member of Congress. They don't award people seats in the House as participation trophies. Argue with her ideas if they seem outlandish, but the exaggerated chauvinistic dismissiveness is eye-rollingly stupid.
    The notion that any criticism of her outlandish ideas is a result of chauvinism is eye-rollingly stupid.

Saying she's crazy and an idiot is, largely a response to her ideas.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I wish there was a way for her to run for president in 2020.... Of course, she could run in 2024 after Drumpf's second term!
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Ummm, excuse me?

dBeJZJZ.jpg
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

#whatabouttrump!
    Ha.

More like #whataboutallthosedopeyrepubsandothersthatvotedfor andcontinuetosupporttrumpandhisstupidassideasandap proachtogoverningandmanagingwhoshouldtakeagoodlook intthemirrorwhentheygonutsaboutrepresentativeocasi o-cortez.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed mostówatching BYU lose."