X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HBO's Documentary - Believer

Has anyone watched this yet?

https://www.hbo.com/documentaries/believer

It debuted on June 20th, and follows Dan Reynolds, the lead singer of Imagine Dragons, who was raised LDS, served a mission, etc., as well as the lead singer of the Neon Trees, Tyler Glenn, also raised LDS, served a mission, openly gay and out now and the concert they wanted to put on to raise awareness for the LGBTQ youth suicides in Utah called Loveloud (which is now an annual thing...or at least is happening again this year).

I watched it last week and thought it was pretty interesting. It primarily features Reynolds, his wife, and Glenn, but also features several parents of LGBTQ youth who've sadly killed themselves. It also features Dehlin, who, shockingly doesn't really add much to the documentary (other than some grandstanding), but whatever. In any event, I found it to be interesting and worth watching, though it naturally doesn't necessarily paint the church in the best light, though the church did put out a pretty supportive statement about the concert, which seemed to please Reynolds.

All in all I would say it is worth a watch.
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post

It debuted on June 20th, and follows Dan Reynolds, the lead singer of Imagine Dragons, who was raised LDS, served a mission, etc., as well as the lead singer of the Neon Trees, Tyler Glenn, also raised LDS, served a mission, openly gay and out now and the concert they wanted to put on to raise awareness for the LGBTQ youth suicides in Utah called Loveloud (which is now an annual thing...or at least is happening again this year).

I watched it last week and thought it was pretty interesting. It primarily features Reynolds, his wife, and Glenn, but also features several parents of LGBTQ youth who've sadly killed themselves. It also features Dehlin, who, shockingly doesn't really add much to the documentary (other than some grandstanding), but whatever. In any event, I found it to be interesting and worth watching, though it naturally doesn't necessarily paint the church in the best light, though the church did put out a pretty supportive statement about the concert, which seemed to please Reynolds.

I've heard about it, but have little interest in watching it.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
      I've heard about it, but have little interest in watching it.
      Dare I ask...why?

I know some folks are mad about it because they think it is more about Dan's personal journey than anything else, but I didn't necessarily get that feel from it.
      "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Comment

Dare I ask...why?
        Not made by the church.
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Dare I ask...why?

I know some folks are mad about it because they think it is more about Dan's personal journey than anything else, but I didn't necessarily get that feel from it.
          Cog Dis is a bitch.
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Not made by the church.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

I caught some of it. Did they mention Reynolds divorce? I like Imagine Dragons and I like the concept of Loveloud. The portion I watched I felt Reynolds came across with an annoying amount of self worth. I did find the parents to be powerful and their comments carried the parts I watched.
              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

I watched it. I thought it was great — too bad that Dan Reynolds and his wife are getting divorced. That’s the sad part. It was not mentioned in the movie at all.

Comment

Dare I ask...why?

It just doesn't seem interesting to me. Nothing more than that really.
                  As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                  --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

I overheard some chatter about this doc in the office break room today. Apparently there is a portion of the show that focuses on a kid at BYU who had sex with his gf and was kicked out for 5 years? That sounds like some selective fact sharing, but I wanted to ask those here who have watched it what the specific details were that were in the documentary on that issue.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      Not made by the church.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        I overheard some chatter about this doc in the office break room today. Apparently there is a portion of the show that focuses on a kid at BYU who had sex with his gf and was kicked out for 5 years? That sounds like some selective fact sharing, but I wanted to ask those here who have watched it what the specific details were that were in the documentary on that issue.
                        Kicked out for 5 years?

I am calling BS on that story.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Kicked out for 5 years?

I am calling BS on that story.
                          Exactly. My guess is he was kicked out with a specific set of things to do before he could enroll again, and probably a 1 or 2 semester suspension. Because he was pissed off, he tried to transfer without complying. But when he found out that there was no way around getting his credits transferred without complying, he finally agreed to re-enroll. 5 years later. Something like that is my guess.
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

BTW, what does the church have against LGTBQ's? I love them...

IMG_0959.jpg

They forgot to add the Queso on this one, however... Not as good.
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Bands with mormons or former mormons in them bug me. Except the killers.
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Working...
                              X