NBA 2018-2019 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
    What is the record for scoring in a half? That's got to be in the neighborhood, doesn't it?
    My son looked it up. The record is 107 points set by Phoenix in 1990. The warriors’ 92 was second.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• I read on twitter that Klay had 52 points on 52 touches. He only dribbled the ball 56 times and touched the ball for a total of 96 seconds.

Comment

• Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
        I read on twitter that Klay had 52 points on 52 touches. He only dribbled the ball 56 times and touched the ball for a total of 96 seconds.
        Damn.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I read on twitter that Klay had 52 points on 52 touches. He only dribbled the ball 56 times and touched the ball for a total of 96 seconds.
          And he only played 27 minutes.

Not surprisingly, he had zero assists.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
            And he only played 27 minutes.

Not surprisingly, he had zero assists.
            So selfish.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              So selfish.
              in all seriousness, based on the stat above he shot it on about 60% of his touches. that is off the charts chucking. granted when you are scoring 52 points on 29 shots it is exceptional chucking, but even Chuck Person would be jealous of that rate of chucking.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

i watch an unhealthy amount of basketball and have for 40 years and i'm still not sure what that really means. now, it seems clear that 56 dribbles on 52 touches is a low number but i'm not sure how it compares to the average spot up shooter - like a Kyle Korver or say, Steve Kerr back in the day over the course of a given game.

iirc, when he dropped 37 in a quarter a few years ago, it seems he only dribbled it something like 12 times.
                Last edited by smokymountainrain; 10-30-2018, 12:01 PM.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• One of the things I like most about the Warriors the past few years is their unselfishness, and the obvious delight they take in the success of their teammates. At halftime, Curry asked what the record was for most threes in a game (he apparently didn't know he was the recordholder with 13). He then said they needed to make sure Klay broke it.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/BaileyCarlin/sta...542293504?s=19
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                      One of the things I like most about the Warriors the past few years is their unselfishness, and the obvious delight they take in the success of their teammates. At halftime, Curry asked what the record was for most threes in a game (he apparently didn't know he was the recordholder with 13). He then said they needed to make sure Klay broke it.
                      Of course it is very easy to be unselfish when you are always winning awards, games and championships. I wonder how they would do if they werent winning? I doubt we will ever find out.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                        I wonder how they would do if they werent winning? I doubt we will ever find out.
                        Spoken like a true Jazz fan.

Comment

• Going into the season I was curious to see how Gordon Hayward would integrate into the Celtics with the breakout seasons from Tatum and Brown while he was gone. 3 weeks into the season, Hayward's usage rate is at 20%, under where it was in his 3rd year with the Jazz and down from 27% the year he was an all-star. Kyrie's usage is also down to the lowest of his career at 25.7%. His other numbers are down accordingly, although not nearly as much as Hayward's. Tatum's usage is up slightly, Brown has maintained, Horford is down, and Morris is up a bit. I don't see where additional possessions will come from for Hayward.

Hayward also hasn't been very good thus far, even with the touches he's getting. Coming back from that injury is going to take a while. But even if he gets back to his previous levels of efficiency, I doubt he's going to get the touches needed to get back to his previous levels of production. I think his ceiling at this point may be a max contract guy averaging 15, 6, and 4 who won't be anywhere near all-star weekend. But the Celtics will get away with that because they have high value guys on rookie deals.

As a Jazz fan who never saw Mitchell as a Hayward replacement because we could have had them both, I am pleased that his career might flop in Boston and that he'll forfeit millions of dollars for leaving.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                            Going into the season I was curious to see how Gordon Hayward would integrate into the Celtics with the breakout seasons from Tatum and Brown while he was gone. 3 weeks into the season, Hayward's usage rate is at 20%, under where it was in his 3rd year with the Jazz and down from 27% the year he was an all-star. Kyrie's usage is also down to the lowest of his career at 25.7%. His other numbers are down accordingly, although not nearly as much as Hayward's. Tatum's usage is up slightly, Brown has maintained, Horford is down, and Morris is up a bit. I don't see where additional possessions will come from for Hayward.

Hayward also hasn't been very good thus far, even with the touches he's getting. Coming back from that injury is going to take a while. But even if he gets back to his previous levels of efficiency, I doubt he's going to get the touches needed to get back to his previous levels of production. I think his ceiling at this point may be a max contract guy averaging 15, 6, and 4 who won't be anywhere near all-star weekend. But the Celtics will get away with that because they have high value guys on rookie deals.

As a Jazz fan who never saw Mitchell as a Hayward replacement because we could have had them both, I am pleased that his career might flop in Boston and that he'll forfeit millions of dollars for leaving.
                            to add to this and provide some numbers, Hayward is averaging 10, 6 and 2. the 10 ppg is the lowest since his rookie year. He's shooting 40% FGs and 32% 3pt with a TS% of 48% - which is the lowest of his career. PER of 12 which is the lowest since his rookie year. this is a max contract guy. either way, i agree that his ceiling as a scorer, with this team as it has developed, is about 15 ppg. to top it off, if the playoffs started today, i'm taking Kawhi and the Raptors over Boston in a 7 game series.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daryl_Morey

from wikipedia - first paragraph accurately describes Daryl Morey:

He is a strong proponent of analytical methods, having created the "true shooting percentage" statistic, and co-founded the annual MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. Morey's basketball philosophy, heavily reliant on analytics, favors three-point field goals over mid-range jumpers.
                              prior to Morey signing Carmelo Anthony, Carmelo's PER had dropped for 5 straight seasons - last year bottoming out at 12.7 which well below league average. Carmelo's TS% for 4 straight seasons has been at 53% (once again, below average) or lower, bottoming out last year at 50%. Defensive analytic measures are even less kind to Carmelo. unsurprisingly, Carmelo is at a new career low for PER at 11 and his TS% is 51%.

Bottom line, analytics, advanced metrics hate Carmelo Anthony, guy who over his career has been largely known as a mid range scorer. i might even call him the poster child for a NBA player who could be wildly overrated if not for analytics. Advanced metrics allow us to see him for who he really is.

Houston had the best record in the league last year and are now sitting at 4-6 a day after Carmelo's 1-11 shooting performance against his former team.

I mean, wtf? morey of all people. how does this happen?
                              I'm like LeBron James.
                              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Babs View Post
                                After laying an egg in the first three quarters, Trae helped the Hawks come back from 26 points back to beat the Mavs. He looked positively average as a rookie today but stepped his game up when it mattered.
                                I got to see my boy Trae take on my other boy Blake at State Farm Arena last night. I was lucky(?) enough to be there for the 50th anniversary of the franchise and the associated party. Observations:

1. Hawks are one sorry-ass team wholly lacking in even seventh-grade fundamentals.

2. Trae has completely lost the confidence that made him invincible in high school and in half of his college year. You can tell he already knows the ball is going to brick while he’s still squaring up for the shot, or he passes when he’s wide open to avoid the shot altogether.

3. Blake is just way too cool to care about basketball.

4. Lil Scrappy and his DJ friend love Atanta. (I know because they said so 1000x in the halftime show but my goodness they’re terrible rappers.)

5. Atlanta is one trashy town.

Comment

Working...
                                X