Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    You really don't know why?
    Because they are pissy little prima donnas who refuse to accept the consequence of a true free agent market?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by creekster View Post
      Because they are pissy little prima donnas who refuse to accept the consequence of a true free agent market?
      I doubt that is the exact reason they are upset. At least, I don't think they are thinking int market terms. I think they just want good competition. It used to be a player's personal pride would prevent him from doing what Boogie (and before him, KD) did.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I doubt that is the exact reason they are upset. At least, I don't think they are thinking int market terms. I think they just want good competition. It used to be a player's personal pride would prevent him from doing what Boogie (and before him, KD) did.

Wilt Chamberlain did just about the same thing. So did Lew Alcindor/Kareem. (not to mention Bron Bron to Miami.) Boston once won 8 CONSECUTIVE championships. So the Warriors winning and KD or Boogie moving really are nothing new. It seems to me that the loss of pride is not in those who move to good teams but in those who whine about it like spoiled little children.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Wilt Chamberlain did just about the same thing. So did Lew Alcindor/Kareem. (not to mention Bron Bron to Miami.) Boston once won 8 CONSECUTIVE championships. So the Warriors winning and KD or Boogie moving really are nothing new. It seems to me that the loss of pride is not in those who move to good teams but in those who whine about it like spoiled little children.
          Nothing new. Maybe. Mabye not. Did any of those guys assemble 5 all-stars in their prime, with at least two of those all-stars taking less money to make it happen? This feels like Boogie buying a ring for himself.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Regardless of the right or wrong of the moves or the player perceptions... the bottom line is the the NBA is becoming less and less interesting with the listing of player movement disenfranchising half of the league. They're killing the goose who's laying the golden eggs.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
              Regardless of the right or wrong of the moves or the player perceptions... the bottom line is the the NBA is becoming less and less interesting with the listing of player movement disenfranchising half of the league. They're killing the goose who's laying the golden eggs.
              This is an entirely subjective view and may be correct, overall, although I am not sure it is true in general and I know it is not true for me.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Nothing new. Maybe. Mabye not. Did any of those guys assemble 5 all-stars in their prime, with at least two of those all-stars taking less money to make it happen? This feels like Boogie buying a ring for himself.
                Boogie is actually gambling a bit, IMO. According to his agent, he had received exactly zero offers prior to his agent contacting the warriors to let them know he would play for the MLE. He did not take less money ecause he had een offered exactly zero prior to talking to the dus. His thinking, I am guessing, is that he was not going to get the sort of max contract he wants with his currently rehabbing achilles injury and so he p[lans to make his 5.3 million, take his sweet time rehabing, because the Warriors dont really care if he plays much in the regular season, and then show himself in the playoffs so he cabn cash in next season somewhere else for a max payout. In the mean time he might have a won a ring,. But there is a risk that he doesnt heal completely, or is no longer as explosive, or that he simply needs more time to get back to 100% so he risks losing the max deal and maybe a lot more (if, for example, he were to suffre some other injury).
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Karl Malone and Gary Payton did this very thing in 2003 with the Lakers. Tried to buy themselves a title late in their careers, even though they got their butts kicked by the Pistons in the finals. I don't remember the faux-outrage at the time about them doing the same.

Comment

Originally posted by bluegoose View Post
                    Karl Malone and Gary Payton did this very thing in 2003 with the Lakers. Tried to buy themselves a title late in their careers, even though they got their butts kicked by the Pistons in the finals. I don't remember the faux-outrage at the time about them doing the same.
                    Both were well past their primes. Not the same thing. Lots of aging stars end up chasing rings at the end of their careers.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Both were well past their primes. Not the same thing. Lots of aging stars end up chasing rings at the end of their careers.
                      whatever. So there is supposed to be some pride-based rule about not getting the deal that you like the most in free agency if it means creating a super team unless you are "past your prime"? This just shows how silly this sort of criticism is. Look, The Warriors are good because they were very lucky in the draft. They got three guys that no one, including the warriors, knew would be that good. Then they got one free agent. A guy who could go ANYWHERE and who decided he didnt want to stay in OKC (and who would, really) and play next to a hall of fame ball hog when he could live in the bay area and win championships.

You know what else Payton and Malone didnt have? A ruptured achilles. This whole "Boogie ruined basketball" narrative just seems silly to me.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

It’s because the stars aren’t going to their teams. Jazz fans always complain about this. Houston fans are doing it this year. OKC complained when KD left but seemed fine with it when PG and Carmelo signed with them...without them realizing their team still wouldn’t be very good.
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

whatever. So there is supposed to be some pride-based rule about not getting the deal that you like the most in free agency if it means creating a super team unless you are "past your prime"? This just shows how silly this sort of criticism is. Look, The Warriors are good because they were very lucky in the draft. They got three guys that no one, including the warriors, knew would be that good. Then they got one free agent. A guy who could go ANYWHERE and who decided he didnt want to stay in OKC (and who would, really) and play next to a hall of fame ball hog when he could live in the bay area and win championships.

You know what else Payton and Malone didnt have? A ruptured achilles. This whole "Boogie ruined basketball" narrative just seems silly to me.
                          This argument isn't that nuanced. Fans like to see parity, not super teams. The regular season is going to be largely meaningless if we all know that the Warriors are going to go to the Finals again. There's nothing wrong with fans (and players) wanting some parity.

I'm not advancing the "Boogie ruined basketball" narrative, nor do I agree that the narrative is that heavy-handed. I know Boogie is injured. But let's not pretend that, even injured, he's not worth more than the MLE.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This argument isn't that nuanced. Fans like to see parity, not super teams. The regular season is going to be largely meaningless if we all know that the Warriors are going to go to the Finals again. There's nothing wrong with fans (and players) wanting some parity.

I'm not advancing the "Boogie ruined basketball" narrative, nor do I agree that the narrative is that heavy-handed. I know Boogie is injured. But let's not pretend that, even injured, he's not worth more than the MLE.
                            IS he worth more? His agent said today he had received zero offers. ZERO. He contacted the Warriors and told them he would be willing to play for the MLE. IF you get zero offers then maybe you shouldnt pretend you are worth more than, well, whatever you can find.
                            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Why are so many players whining about Boogie's move? It's called being a free agent. He can go wherever he wants. He wants to get healthy so he can get a true max contract? He wants to win a ring? He wants to live in the bay area instead of NOLA (NOLA is fun to visit but man that heat and humidity...). He can do whatever he wants. He can take less, or more. This is the right that all players want. And the right that they will all have unless they give it up by signing contracts/extensions. So Boogie bets on himself for a year at 5.3 million. So what?
                              uh because the warriors have all all stars in starting lineup. and most players dont lose on on 10 to 15 million per year just to go to the warriors

Comment

IS he worth more? His agent said today he had received zero offers. ZERO. He contacted the Warriors and told them he would be willing to play for the MLE. IF you get zero offers then maybe you shouldnt pretend you are worth more than, well, whatever you can find.
                                Oh brother. Its not like free agency is over. Maybe he was asking for a max contract and got ZERO max offers? So he decided to get a ring while he rehabs and then gets his next big contract.

Or, you could be right, and a 25 ppg big man coming off an all-star year is probably worth the MLE only.Those guys are a dime a dozen.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X