Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NBA 2018-2019 Season

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    You really don't know why?
    Because they are pissy little prima donnas who refuse to accept the consequence of a true free agent market?
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    Because they are pissy little prima donnas who refuse to accept the consequence of a true free agent market?
    I doubt that is the exact reason they are upset. At least, I don't think they are thinking int market terms. I think they just want good competition. It used to be a player's personal pride would prevent him from doing what Boogie (and before him, KD) did.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I doubt that is the exact reason they are upset. At least, I don't think they are thinking int market terms. I think they just want good competition. It used to be a player's personal pride would prevent him from doing what Boogie (and before him, KD) did.

Wilt Chamberlain did just about the same thing. So did Lew Alcindor/Kareem. (not to mention Bron Bron to Miami.) Boston once won 8 CONSECUTIVE championships. So the Warriors winning and KD or Boogie moving really are nothing new. It seems to me that the loss of pride is not in those who move to good teams but in those who whine about it like spoiled little children.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Wilt Chamberlain did just about the same thing. So did Lew Alcindor/Kareem. (not to mention Bron Bron to Miami.) Boston once won 8 CONSECUTIVE championships. So the Warriors winning and KD or Boogie moving really are nothing new. It seems to me that the loss of pride is not in those who move to good teams but in those who whine about it like spoiled little children.
    Nothing new. Maybe. Mabye not. Did any of those guys assemble 5 all-stars in their prime, with at least two of those all-stars taking less money to make it happen? This feels like Boogie buying a ring for himself.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Regardless of the right or wrong of the moves or the player perceptions... the bottom line is the the NBA is becoming less and less interesting with the listing of player movement disenfranchising half of the league. They're killing the goose who's laying the golden eggs.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    Regardless of the right or wrong of the moves or the player perceptions... the bottom line is the the NBA is becoming less and less interesting with the listing of player movement disenfranchising half of the league. They're killing the goose who's laying the golden eggs.
    This is an entirely subjective view and may be correct, overall, although I am not sure it is true in general and I know it is not true for me.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Nothing new. Maybe. Mabye not. Did any of those guys assemble 5 all-stars in their prime, with at least two of those all-stars taking less money to make it happen? This feels like Boogie buying a ring for himself.
    Boogie is actually gambling a bit, IMO. According to his agent, he had received exactly zero offers prior to his agent contacting the warriors to let them know he would play for the MLE. He did not take less money ecause he had een offered exactly zero prior to talking to the dus. His thinking, I am guessing, is that he was not going to get the sort of max contract he wants with his currently rehabbing achilles injury and so he p[lans to make his 5.3 million, take his sweet time rehabing, because the Warriors dont really care if he plays much in the regular season, and then show himself in the playoffs so he cabn cash in next season somewhere else for a max payout. In the mean time he might have a won a ring,. But there is a risk that he doesnt heal completely, or is no longer as explosive, or that he simply needs more time to get back to 100% so he risks losing the max deal and maybe a lot more (if, for example, he were to suffre some other injury).
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Karl Malone and Gary Payton did this very thing in 2003 with the Lakers. Tried to buy themselves a title late in their careers, even though they got their butts kicked by the Pistons in the finals. I don't remember the faux-outrage at the time about them doing the same.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Karl Malone and Gary Payton did this very thing in 2003 with the Lakers. Tried to buy themselves a title late in their careers, even though they got their butts kicked by the Pistons in the finals. I don't remember the faux-outrage at the time about them doing the same.
    Both were well past their primes. Not the same thing. Lots of aging stars end up chasing rings at the end of their careers.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Both were well past their primes. Not the same thing. Lots of aging stars end up chasing rings at the end of their careers.
    whatever. So there is supposed to be some pride-based rule about not getting the deal that you like the most in free agency if it means creating a super team unless you are "past your prime"? This just shows how silly this sort of criticism is. Look, The Warriors are good because they were very lucky in the draft. They got three guys that no one, including the warriors, knew would be that good. Then they got one free agent. A guy who could go ANYWHERE and who decided he didnt want to stay in OKC (and who would, really) and play next to a hall of fame ball hog when he could live in the bay area and win championships.

You know what else Payton and Malone didnt have? A ruptured achilles. This whole "Boogie ruined basketball" narrative just seems silly to me.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

It’s because the stars aren’t going to their teams. Jazz fans always complain about this. Houston fans are doing it this year. OKC complained when KD left but seemed fine with it when PG and Carmelo signed with them...without them realizing their team still wouldn’t be very good.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

whatever. So there is supposed to be some pride-based rule about not getting the deal that you like the most in free agency if it means creating a super team unless you are "past your prime"? This just shows how silly this sort of criticism is. Look, The Warriors are good because they were very lucky in the draft. They got three guys that no one, including the warriors, knew would be that good. Then they got one free agent. A guy who could go ANYWHERE and who decided he didnt want to stay in OKC (and who would, really) and play next to a hall of fame ball hog when he could live in the bay area and win championships.

You know what else Payton and Malone didnt have? A ruptured achilles. This whole "Boogie ruined basketball" narrative just seems silly to me.
    This argument isn't that nuanced. Fans like to see parity, not super teams. The regular season is going to be largely meaningless if we all know that the Warriors are going to go to the Finals again. There's nothing wrong with fans (and players) wanting some parity.

I'm not advancing the "Boogie ruined basketball" narrative, nor do I agree that the narrative is that heavy-handed. I know Boogie is injured. But let's not pretend that, even injured, he's not worth more than the MLE.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

This argument isn't that nuanced. Fans like to see parity, not super teams. The regular season is going to be largely meaningless if we all know that the Warriors are going to go to the Finals again. There's nothing wrong with fans (and players) wanting some parity.

I'm not advancing the "Boogie ruined basketball" narrative, nor do I agree that the narrative is that heavy-handed. I know Boogie is injured. But let's not pretend that, even injured, he's not worth more than the MLE.
    IS he worth more? His agent said today he had received zero offers. ZERO. He contacted the Warriors and told them he would be willing to play for the MLE. IF you get zero offers then maybe you shouldnt pretend you are worth more than, well, whatever you can find.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Why are so many players whining about Boogie's move? It's called being a free agent. He can go wherever he wants. He wants to get healthy so he can get a true max contract? He wants to win a ring? He wants to live in the bay area instead of NOLA (NOLA is fun to visit but man that heat and humidity...). He can do whatever he wants. He can take less, or more. This is the right that all players want. And the right that they will all have unless they give it up by signing contracts/extensions. So Boogie bets on himself for a year at 5.3 million. So what?
    uh because the warriors have all all stars in starting lineup. and most players dont lose on on 10 to 15 million per year just to go to the warriors

IS he worth more? His agent said today he had received zero offers. ZERO. He contacted the Warriors and told them he would be willing to play for the MLE. IF you get zero offers then maybe you shouldnt pretend you are worth more than, well, whatever you can find.
    Oh brother. Its not like free agency is over. Maybe he was asking for a max contract and got ZERO max offers? So he decided to get a ring while he rehabs and then gets his next big contract.

Or, you could be right, and a 25 ppg big man coming off an all-star year is probably worth the MLE only.Those guys are a dime a dozen.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Oh brother. Its not like free agency is over. Maybe he was asking for a max contract and got ZERO max offers? So he decided to get a ring while he rehabs and then gets his next big contract.

Or, you could be right, and a 25 ppg big man coming off an all-star year is probably worth the MLE only.Those guys are a dime a dozen.
    Who cares? He can do whatever he wants is the point. He is worth whatever someone will pay but he gets to go wherever he wants among those offers. Nonetheless, the agent said he had received ZERO offers. No counters, no responses. Is that true? No idea. But to me it simply doesn't matter.

Btw, I am sure you realize that Boogie carries a lot of baggage. I, for one, cannot stand him. But he can do what he wants.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    uh because the warriors have all all stars in starting lineup. and most players dont lose on on 10 to 15 million per year just to go to the warriors
    So? They could.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Time to camp HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar

I respect Boogie taking a pretty huge gamble. If he’s the brooding, malcontent he seems the Warriors don’t win the title next year and he cost himself 30 million? If they win and Steve Kerr, Steph and KD sing his praises he has a ring and a max deal wherever he wants to go. Ballsy, I like it.
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Who cares? He can do whatever he wants is the point. He is worth whatever someone will pay but he gets to go wherever he wants among those offers. Nonetheless, the agent said he had received ZERO offers. No counters, no responses. Is that true? No idea. But to me it simply doesn't matter.

Btw, I am sure you realize that Boogie carries a lot of baggage. I, for one, cannot stand him. But he can do what he wants.
    Lots of people care. You seem to care quite a bit, for one.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Lots of people care. You seem to care quite a bit, for one.
    I admit I care that there are so many lame arguments against what he is doing.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I respect Boogie taking a pretty huge gamble. If he’s the brooding, malcontent he seems the Warriors don’t win the title next year and he cost himself 30 million? If they win and Steve Kerr, Steph and KD sing his praises he has a ring and a max deal wherever he wants to go. Ballsy, I like it.
    Agreed.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    I watched a fair number of Kings games with Cousins while Jimmer was there. While Cousins is a very good player, I didn't think of him as All-Star level. He averaged pretty good numbers but seemed to be neutralized by taller defenders. Since he was mostly playing the 5, he was often facing off against taller guys. I don't think I saw him in any Pelican games this season, but I imagine he was probably playing the majority of his minutes at the 4 with Davis at the 5. That was probably a much better fit for his skill set. I wonder what position Golden State is expecting him to play.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

It's a good move by the Warriors too... keeps Booger from going to the Lakers and helping them.

Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    It's a good move by the Warriors too... keeps Booger from going to the Lakers and helping them.
    Um, he’ll be a laker next season
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    Um, he’ll be a laker next season
    I'm trying hard to spin this in my direction... but I have to admit you're right.

UPDATE TWO HOURS LATER

My son just told me that LBJ vetoed Booger to the Lakers. With Mcgee, Lance Stephenson, and Rondo... LBJ thinks so little of Booger that he didn't want him and cast him off to the Warriors.
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 07-03-2018 at 07:51 PM.

Saying now Boogie turned down 2 years/$40M from the Pelicans at the end of the season. Guess all he could get was that MLE.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-peli...004515477.html

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Looks like Kawhi is going to Toronto in exchange for DeMar Rosen (and some other stuff). Kawhi has said he has no interest in being in Toronto. This could get interesting.

Lots of NBA players tweeting about the lack of loyalty in the NBA, especially in response to Rosen's trade. Have they never heard of trades before?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Looks like Kawhi is going to Toronto in exchange for DeMar Rosen (and some other stuff). Kawhi has said he has no interest in being in Toronto. This could get interesting.

Lots of NBA players tweeting about the lack of loyalty in the NBA, especially in response to Rosen's trade. Have they never heard of trades before?
    GFY
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    GFY
    lol

This response made me think Andre Miller was somehow involved.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Ah, Mr. Rosen. The great Jewish hope.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock