Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 157

Thread: NBA 2018-2019 Season

  1. #121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    I got to see my boy Trae take on my other boy Blake at State Farm Arena last night. I was lucky(?) enough to be there for the 50th anniversary of the franchise and the associated party. Observations:

    1. Hawks are one sorry-ass team wholly lacking in even seventh-grade fundamentals.

    2. Trae has completely lost the confidence that made him invincible in high school and in half of his college year. You can tell he already knows the ball is going to brick while he’s still squaring up for the shot, or he passes when he’s wide open to avoid the shot altogether.

    3. Blake is just way too cool to care about basketball.

    4. Lil Scrappy and his DJ friend love Atanta. (I know because they said so 1000x in the halftime show but my goodness they’re terrible rappers.)

    5. Atlanta is one trashy town.
    my hope for Trae Young is that his passing/playmaking skills can get him through until he regains confidence and gets his shooting back. there was nothing more fun in sports last year than watch TY dominate teams in November and December with his shooting and facilitating. just hope that shot starts falling sooner rather than later.

    he's currently sitting at 4th in the league in assists per 48 (8th overall), so that part of his game is still strong.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  2. #122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    he's currently sitting at 4th in the league in assists per 48 (8th overall), so that part of his game is still strong.
    Yes. The loss of confidence to take the open shot is translating to assists on the stat sheet. I honestly think he needs a sports psych to get past whatever is going on in his head. He’s also going to need a much better head coach. Pierce is awful.

  3. #123

    Default

    i thought lebron was having a down year. i'm pretty dumb.

    despite averaging the fewest minutes of his career so far - 35.1 - he has his highest PPG average - 27.6, since his final season, first stint in Cleveland when he was 25.

    passed Wilt for 5th on the all time scoring list last night and is just 200 assists out of 10th place on the all-time assist list.

    i have a post on CB from about 3 years ago where i say he could realistically finish top 3 scoring and top 7 assists. Today, it's clear that if he plays for about 3 more years after this, he could finish #1 overall in scoring and #3 in assists.

    Currently, nobody in the all time top 25 in scoring is in the all time top 25 in assists - and this dude could be #1 and #3 respectively, when he hangs it up.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  4. #124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i thought lebron was having a down year. i'm pretty dumb.

    despite averaging the fewest minutes of his career so far - 35.1 - he has his highest PPG average - 27.6, since his final season, first stint in Cleveland when he was 25.

    passed Wilt for 5th on the all time scoring list last night and is just 200 assists out of 10th place on the all-time assist list.

    i have a post on CB from about 3 years ago where i say he could realistically finish top 3 scoring and top 7 assists. Today, it's clear that if he plays for about 3 more years after this, he could finish #1 overall in scoring and #3 in assists.

    Currently, nobody in the all time top 25 in scoring is in the all time top 25 in assists - and this dude could be #1 and #3 respectively, when he hangs it up.
    Something needs to happen to his career prior to him hitting top 10 in assists. It is important that no one else make it into the top 10 ever again. Very important.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  5. #125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Something needs to happen to his career prior to him hitting top 10 in assists. It is important that no one else make it into the top 10 ever again. Very important.
    jimmer never got passed on the all time assist list by lebron james.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  6. #126

    Default

    and down goes carmelo. who is going to be the dumbass gm who picks him up?

    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  7. #127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    and down goes carmelo. who is going to be the dumbass gm who picks him up?

    I think it will be a smart GM who also wants Zion Williamson.

  8. #128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti View Post
    I think it will be a smart GM who also wants Zion Williamson.
    touche'
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  9. #129

    Default

    after another GS loss without Curry, GS is now 2-4 this season without Steph. They are 10-2 with Steph. Last season they were 41-10 with Steph, 17-14 without. okay, they are better with Steph Curry, not breaking news, but here's the real kicker: GS is 21-0 in their last 21 games that Steph Curry has played, but Kevin Durant has not played.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  10. #130
    Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Pleasanton, CA
    Posts
    11,977

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    after another GS loss without Curry, GS is now 2-4 this season without Steph. They are 10-2 with Steph. Last season they were 41-10 with Steph, 17-14 without. okay, they are better with Steph Curry, not breaking news, but here's the real kicker: GS is 21-0 in their last 21 games that Steph Curry has played, but Kevin Durant has not played.
    All true. Draymond (when his head's straight) is more vital to the Warrior's success than is KD. Without Curry and Green, GS is ordinary at best. It will be interesting to see what the team does to retain their free agents next year. I hope greater effort is devoted to the retention of Thompson (although I like Durant).

  11. #131

    Default

    Gordon Hayward benched:

    Brad Stevens isn't going to get any tonight after that decision.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

    He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

  12. #132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Gordon Hayward benched:

    Brad Stevens isn't going to get any tonight after that decision.
    1-6 FGs, 4 points. with the jazz sucking ass, hayward's pathetic play is one of my favorite story lines of the NBA season so far.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  13. #133

    Default

    Trae Young finished with 25 pts, 17 assists last night. he's pretty special as a playmaker - if he could shoot, he'd be an all-star as a rookie. and while that is a big IF, it was his thing coming out of HS and the first half of his frosh season at OU. it's a shame he's at the point where shooting is in his head and he hasn't been able to figure it out. the shooting talent is there.

    Young is currently 3rd in the league in assists and is playing less minutes per game than anybody else in the top 10.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  14. #134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Trae Young finished with 25 pts, 17 assists last night. he's pretty special as a playmaker - if he could shoot, he'd be an all-star as a rookie. and while that is a big IF, it was his thing coming out of HS and the first half of his frosh season at OU. it's a shame he's at the point where shooting is in his head and he hasn't been able to figure it out. the shooting talent is there.

    Young is currently 3rd in the league in assists and is playing less minutes per game than anybody else in the top 10.
    He has been solid. Still like Doncic better long term.

    How about KEmba following up a 60 point game with 43.

    The NBA is full of great story lines this year. Wizards have decided to put everyone on the block. The Kings are 9-8 with a roster full of kids who should be in college. Buddy Hield shooting a blistering 44% from 3. De'Aron Fox is not far behind that.

    Markelle Fultz continues to change his free throw motion and now he is seeing another shoulder specialist.

    Kawhi is all the way back.

    Jazz suck.

    Zach Lavine, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Devin Booker are the next big numbers on bad team guys.

    Love the NBA.
    *Banned*

  15. #135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    He has been solid. Still like Doncic better long term.

    How about KEmba following up a 60 point game with 43.

    The NBA is full of great story lines this year. Wizards have decided to put everyone on the block. The Kings are 9-8 with a roster full of kids who should be in college. Buddy Hield shooting a blistering 44% from 3. De'Aron Fox is not far behind that.

    Markelle Fultz continues to change his free throw motion and now he is seeing another shoulder specialist.

    Kawhi is all the way back.

    Jazz suck.

    Zach Lavine, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Devin Booker are the next big numbers on bad team guys.

    Love the NBA.
    agree, a ton of interesting story lines. in addition to those you mentioned,

    how about the pelicans and how explosive they can be on offense with Mirotic, Brow, Etwan Moore (who is sizzling hot), Holiday and Julius Randle having a great year as the 6th man.

    Also, Jaren Jackson as the youngest player in the league putting up 14 ppg and 3 blocks per game in November, starting for a Grizzlies team that is tied for 1st in the west - which is a story in it's own right.

    read somewhere this morning about whether the Spurs should trade for Wall. I'm not a big fan of Wall, but that might actually be a decent fit - thought not sure who they'd have to part ways with to get him.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  16. #136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    agree, a ton of interesting story lines. in addition to those you mentioned,

    how about the pelicans and how explosive they can be on offense with Mirotic, Brow, Etwan Moore (who is sizzling hot), Holiday and Julius Randle having a great year as the 6th man.

    Also, Jaren Jackson as the youngest player in the league putting up 14 ppg and 3 blocks per game in November, starting for a Grizzlies team that is tied for 1st in the west - which is a story in it's own right.

    read somewhere this morning about whether the Spurs should trade for Wall. I'm not a big fan of Wall, but that might actually be a decent fit - thought not sure who they'd have to part ways with to get him.
    The problem with John Wall is his salary jump after this season.

    2019/20- 38 mill
    2020/21- 41 mill
    2012/22- 44 mill
    2022/23- 47 mill

    SPurs would never pay that for him.


    Beal is getting 25-27-29 the next 3 years as well.
    Porter 26-27-28 over the next 3.

    Mahinmi- 16 per over the next 2


    Wiz are in big trouble. Not sure how you unload those deals.
    *Banned*

  17. #137

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    The problem with John Wall is his salary jump after this season.

    2019/20- 38 mill
    2020/21- 41 mill
    2012/22- 44 mill
    2022/23- 47 mill

    SPurs would never pay that for him.


    Beal is getting 25-27-29 the next 3 years as well.
    Porter 26-27-28 over the next 3.

    Mahinmi- 16 per over the next 2


    Wiz are in big trouble. Not sure how you unload those deals.
    ouch - hadn't looked at those salaries. they are screwed.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  18. #138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    it's a shame he's at the point where shooting is in his head and he hasn't been able to figure it out. the shooting talent is there.
    Yeah, I hope he bounces back. It's the look in his eyes that worries me the most.

    I'm wearing a thunder jersey at work today. (Do not want to be here!) Chief is not amused.

  19. #139

    Default

    Does anyone know when they’ll drop this year’s Xmas jerseys? I can’t find them anywhere and they’ve always been available by now in the past.

  20. #140
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,612

    Default

    Seemd like there are a lot more 125+ point games this year. Several each day. And not just one team having a crazy day. Lots of times both teams are over 120. Houston and DC both scored 130+ tonight against each other.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  21. #141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Seemd like there are a lot more 125+ point games this year. Several each day. And not just one team having a crazy day. Lots of times both teams are over 120. Houston and DC both scored 130+ tonight against each other.
    Analytics. Teams are shooting the most efficient shots at a higher rate than ever before. It's also the reason for increased parity. Everybody is playing smart offensive basketball, so a team like Dallas that was supposed to suck can dominate a team like Houston that was supposed to be great. Conversely, NBA defenses are struggling to defend these efficient offenses.

    Additionally, with the emphasis on shooting that we've seen in the last 10 or so years, guys are better shooters than ever before. Increasingly all five guys on the court can shoot- with obvious exceptions. But in general guys are better shooters overall and better from 3 pt range.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  22. #142
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,612

    Default

    Hmm, makes sense. Thanks.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  23. #143
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,612

    Default

    The Bulls fire Fred Hoiberg and give the job to Jim Boylen. Bring back BoylenOver!!!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  24. #144

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    The Bulls fire Fred Hoiberg and give the job to Jim Boylen. Bring back BoylenOver!!!
    Obvious tank-job

  25. #145

    Default

    Markelle Fultz is such a mess. I wonder how much longer he’ll play.

  26. #146
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,612

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Obvious tank-job
    First loss is in the books tonight!
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  27. #147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babs View Post
    Markelle Fultz is such a mess. I wonder how much longer he’ll play.
    bizarre situation there, to be sure.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  28. #148
    вот так штука CardiacCoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The SLC
    Posts
    10,286

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    bizarre situation there, to be sure.
    Rick Ankiel, basketball version. But Fultz can’t move to the outfield.

  29. #149

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Rick Ankiel, basketball version. But Fultz can’t move to the outfield.
    chuck knoblauch is another i thought of.

    but now they are saying it is a shoulder issue - Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and they think it can be treated with therapy. though it is so strange that this dude has had access to the best medical folks money can buy for 2 or 3 years now and they are just figuring this out.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  30. #150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    chuck knoblauch is another i thought of.

    but now they are saying it is a shoulder issue - Thoracic Outlet Syndrome and they think it can be treated with therapy. though it is so strange that this dude has had access to the best medical folks money can buy for 2 or 3 years now and they are just figuring this out.
    Same thing that Nick Emery had surgery for. First rib resection.

    Fultz has to be a neurological issue. Too big of a motor mess to just be psychological, imo.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •