Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 80

Thread: 2018 US Open - Game and Talk.

  1. #31
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Perhaps an overreaction after Koepka made the U.S. Open look like the Barbasol Championship last year.
    When the best in the world are signing +7 cards I think that's a fair assumption.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

  2. #32
    Known Heterosexual RC Vikings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Rexburg, Idaho
    Posts
    8,069

    Default

    I like a hard U.S. Open, it sets it apart from every other Quad Cities Open on the calendar. The Masters is good entertainment because guys can make a run at the leader on that course but at the U. S. Open I like watching the leaders just try and hang on. Last year watching Koepka tear through that course was a little boring.

    Friday early afternoon and I think this tournament is already decided.

  3. #33
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    I like a hard U.S. Open, it sets it apart from every other Quad Cities Open on the calendar. The Masters is good entertainment because guys can make a run at the leader on that course but at the U. S. Open I like watching the leaders just try and hang on. Last year watching Koepka tear through that course was a little boring.

    Friday early afternoon and I think this tournament is already decided.
    DJ hasn't been great at holding leads in the past. He did it last week in Memphis, but that's not the same kind of pressure he'll face this weekend. Plenty of guys have shown that you can triple bogey any random hole on this course.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  4. #34
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,626

    Default

    Rory +13 (total) through 13 holes today. Brutal.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  5. #35

    Default

    Fox's golf coverage is so awful. I like Azinger, but everything else is so bargain basement.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  6. #36
    Major disappointment The_Tick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    5,535

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Fox's golf coverage is so awful. I like Azinger, but everything else is so bargain basement.
    Agreed. I can't wait until I'm watching at home tomorrow and the sound will be as if it was coming through a tin can. And then there's the "FOX echo" that they get every time.

  7. #37
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,626

    Default

    Cut line moving to +8. Spieth needs a birdie in one of the last 3 holes to make it.
    Last edited by falafel; 06-15-2018 at 03:46 PM.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  8. #38
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    DJ hasn't been great at holding leads in the past. He did it last week in Memphis, but that's not the same kind of pressure he'll face this weekend. Plenty of guys have shown that you can triple bogey any random hole on this course.
    Ian Poulter with a triple on 17 and bogey on 18 to prove my point. Was one stroke back of DJ on 17, now 5 strokes back at +1.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  9. #39
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,626

    Default

    Although this course is hard as hell, we've seen some straight dumb mistakes from players. Poulter's skulled sand shot + bad pitch + bad chip. Spieth's chunked chip on 18 leads to bogey on 18 and a missed cut.

    And of course, Tiger's triple on the first hole. Bad approach + bad chip + bad putt.

    Then the mocking from Wendy's.

    Last edited by falafel; 06-15-2018 at 05:35 PM.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  10. #40
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,690

    Default

    Here's the halfway leader board.

    http://www.espn.com/golf/leaderboard

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  11. #41
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,690

    Default

    The wheels have come off of Phil... sad.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOcyWiIG9Ow
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-16-2018 at 12:49 PM.

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  12. #42
    Invisible Swordsman DrumNFeather's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Knee Deep in the Hoopla
    Posts
    8,851

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clackamascoug View Post
    The wheels have come off of Phil... sad.
    Sportswriters on Twitter are calling it a disgrace...slight overreaction.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  13. #43

    Default 2018 US Open - Game and Talk.

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Sportswriters on Twitter are calling it a disgrace...slight overreaction.
    No kidding. In his post-round interview with Curtis Strange, CS basically implies that Phil has greatly disrespected the game and asks him if there is anything he wants to say to his golf admirers:

    ”What do you say to those people who love and admire you? Do you regret what you’ve done?”

    Lol. Oh brother. Now Joe Buck can’t stop talking about it. I feel disrespected as a golf fan having to experience this US Open through this garbage Fox Sports lens.
    Last edited by Donuthole; 06-16-2018 at 02:08 PM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  14. #44
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Sportswriters on Twitter are calling it a disgrace...slight overreaction.

    Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    I think it's pretty bad. Especially for one of the game's ambassadors at arguably the biggest tournament of the year.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  15. #45
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,690

    Default

    It's more embarrassing than a disrespect to the game. When we're done mentally with a round... I imagine most golfers have "disrespected" the game at some point by picking up a ball without the final putt going in the hole, hitting it back towards the hole before it stops, or hitting the ball off the green with an angry swipe. It happens. It's unfortunate a great ambassador of golf got caught on TV.

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  16. #46
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,690

    Default

    My golf buddy Bob is there.. and we've been texting. From the spectators standpoint he was not aware that the course has become unplayable and wasn't aware of the Phil situation.

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  17. #47

    Default

    Zach Johnson, possibly the most earnest, genuine guy on the tour says the course is lost. So what does FOX do?

    They bring in the former director of the USGA to say “no it’s not, because it’s not as bad as 2004.” And that’s the extent of the analysis from him on that point. He then goes on to spend a full minute discussing how he would have disqualified Phil for what he did.

    Did I mention this guy was the director of the USGA in 2004? You know, when the US Open was last played at Shinnecock, and is widely regarded as the worst US Open in the last 50 years because of how they maintained the course?
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  18. #48
    Senior Member Clark Addison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Beautiful South
    Posts
    7,207

    Default

    What is more brutal? Th course, the coverage, or the gallery?

  19. #49
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
    What is more brutal? Th course, the coverage, or the gallery?
    The four guys following DJ... and yelling into the mics on purpose... they should kick them out.


    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Zach Johnson, possibly the most earnest, genuine guy on the tour says the course is lost. So what does FOX do?

    They bring in the former director of the USGA to say “no it’s not, because it’s not as bad as 2004.” And that’s the extent of the analysis from him on that point. He then goes on to spend a full minute discussing how he would have disqualified Phil for what he did.

    Did I mention this guy was the director of the USGA in 2004? You know, when the US Open was last played at Shinnecock, and is widely regarded as the worst US Open in the last 50 years because of how they maintained the course?
    I thought the same thing... Fox is still terrible... but at least they got rid of Greg Norman.... could you imagine listening to him today?
    Last edited by clackamascoug; 06-16-2018 at 05:08 PM.

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  20. #50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    No kidding. In his post-round interview with Curtis Strange, CS basically implies that Phil has greatly disrespected the game and asks him if there is anything he wants to say to his golf admirers:

    ”What do you say to those people who love and admire you? Do you regret what you’ve done?”

    Lol. Oh brother. Now Joe Buck can’t stop talking about it. I feel disrespected as a golf fan having to experience this US Open through this garbage Fox Sports lens.
    So much this. I feel more disrespected by the fox coverage than Phil losing his composure and taking a two stroke penalty. It is hilarious though that he was so frustrated with the bullshit pin placements and greens that he did something like that.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

  21. #51

    Default

    Mike Davis: I'm basically perfect but a little bit of wind turned the course I to a disaster.

    How about not making every US Open about yourself.

  22. #52
    Senior Member Clark Addison's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    The Beautiful South
    Posts
    7,207

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    No kidding. In his post-round interview with Curtis Strange, CS basically implies that Phil has greatly disrespected the game and asks him if there is anything he wants to say to his golf admirers:

    ”What do you say to those people who love and admire you? Do you regret what you’ve done?”

    Lol. Oh brother. Now Joe Buck can’t stop talking about it. I feel disrespected as a golf fan having to experience this US Open through this garbage Fox Sports lens.
    Joe Buck with a sanctimonious overreaction?

    Did anyone ask him if this was more egregious than Randy Moss pretending to drop his pants and moon the fans, which Joe felt the need to spend the rest of the game condemning?

  23. #53

    Default 2018 US Open - Game and Talk.

    Whatever happened to FOX being the no spin zone?

    JT: The wind dried the course out and made it really hard. They probably should have moved the pins a couple paces more towards the middle, but maybe the USGA didn’t realize the wind was going to make the course nearly unplayable. I’m surprised I shot 4 over and I’m still in this thing.

    Joe Buck: I loved that interview. I liked hearing JT talk about how the course was fair and I love how he wasn’t complaining about it.
    Last edited by Donuthole; 06-16-2018 at 08:30 PM.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  24. #54
    Local Character clackamascoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frog Pond Grange
    Posts
    6,690

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Whatever happened to FOX being the no spin zone?

    JT: The wind dried the course out and made it really hard. They probably should have moved the pins a couple paces more towards the middle, but maybe the USGA didn’t realize the wind was going to make the course nearly unplayable. I’m surprised I shot 4 over and I’m still in this thing.

    Joe Buck: I loved that interview. I liked hearing JT talk about how the course was fair and I love how he wasn’t complaining about it.
    I laughed out loud when I heard him say that, and wondered who hand their hand up his butt manipulating his mouth. Guy is a joke...

    When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream


  25. #55

    Default

    The fifth interview in a row mentions the ridiculous greens:

    Brooks Koepka: The greens are borderline unplayable. Hopefully they water them a bunch tonight so we can play some golf tomorrow.

    Joe Buck:

    (FYI, we call that an adoptive admission in the legal world, Joe, and it’s 100% admissible evidence.)
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  26. #56
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  27. #57
    Senior Member Katy Lied's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Center of the Salt Lake Valley
    Posts
    8,561

    Default

    Finau and Berger barely made the cut, and now are in the top 2. That is how bad the winds are: tee off early and the course almost plays normally. I am cheering for Finau, but he will probably do terrible after a late tee.

    I predict one of these early tee timers to do very well: Phil, Ricki, Hideki, Jason.

    Am thrilled that the fireman made the cut.

  28. #58
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,626

    Default

    I need more Paul Azinger in my golf coverage. He has some great phrases.

    Chamber of Conference weather.
    There's not a cat in the country that could lick that beard.
    You could build a super Walmart between those two shots.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  29. #59
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,626

    Default

    Ha.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

  30. #60
    Where's Wallace? Surfah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    V to the izz-A.
    Posts
    33,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Ha.
    LOL.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •