Just Hanging Around - the thread for hammocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Hanging Around - the thread for hammocks

I saw a "deal of the day" on Amazon a few months ago and figured there was little risk in spending $17 on a double hammock (regularly $26):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It got its first use a few weeks ago at our ward's Priesthood Commemoration camping trip. My wife and daughters first learned of its existence at a camping trip last weekend. I slept in the hammock with my sleeping bag and was warmer and more comfortable than on most camping trips in a tent. When I wasn't sleeping in it, the hammock was pretty much constantly occupied by the other family members. So far, it looks like a worthy purchase even though we don't really have suitable trees for backyard use.

So do we have any hammock campers among us? What gear do you use? Any tricks of the trade?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Bringing a hammock home was a requirement for all returning missionaries in Brazil (and probably all of Latin America, I imagine). Mine has been sitting folded up on a closet shelf at my parents' house for almost 20 years. It was a pretty sweet double hammock, though.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

My daughter is totally into hammocking
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Comment

When I was in the Army, l slept in a hammock every time I went to the field - much more comfortable than the cots they issued us

I haven't used one since.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

thought this was going to be a handbag thread.
          Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
            I thought it was going to be about banana hammocks.

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post
              My daughter is totally into hammocking
              Know what gear she uses? Any tricks of the trade?
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

My Chill Gorilla rainfly arrived the other day:
                https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075GKPZ98..._lJ8JFXadRT7xh

I wish my back yard had a couple of trees properly spaced for hammock hanging. It would make testing out gear a lot easier.

Planning to go hammock camping/backpacking with my son this weekend.
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

During my 12-year run of serving in YM/Boy Scouts, I often slept in a hammock on camp outs and week long scout camp. I used a Hennessy hammock (link: https://hennessyhammock.com/?gclid=E...AAEgK_yfD_BwE#) that has a built-in bug net. For most summer camping, I didn't need any insulation underneath but for non-summer camping, having insulation under one's body in a hammock is a must. Otherwise, one will get cold quickly. Similar to sleeping on cold ground without a sleeping pad. For insulation, I used an old inflatable sleeping pad that was punctured and no longer inflated. I've used a hammock on a few backpacking trips but have gone back to a tent now. An advantage of backpacking with a hammock is that one doesn't need cleared, level ground that a tent requires. So sloped, rocky, or scrubbed brush terrain works fine as long a there are trees. A disadvantage is that one actually needs trees for a hammock which can be scarce above treeline. I decided to go back to a backpacking tent after getting caught in a storm above tree line on the continental divide trail. But in my travels, I regularly run into "hangers" who preach the gospel of hammocking and try to reactivate me.

In my back yard I have a nice rope hammock I purchased at the $30 or less store at Roatan Island, Honduras on a Caribbean cruise last winter. It's hung in the backyard next to the deck under plenty of shade and gets regular use by the whole family. Wish I had more leisure time to just relax in my hammock.
                  “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
                  "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

Comment

Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                    In my back yard I have a nice rope hammock I purchased at the $30 or less store at Roatan Island, Honduras on a Caribbean cruise last winter. It's hung in the backyard next to the deck under plenty of shade and gets regular use by the whole family. Wish I had more leisure time to just relax in my hammock.
                    I'm guessing that since you bought it in Honduras that this rope hammock doesn't have the spreader bars typical of rope hammocks in the US.

I tested out my new rain fly yesterday in a local park. You all will probably not be surprised to learn that I really struggled with the guy lines. I figured out how to attach them to either the grommets on the rain fly or to the tree, but not to both. Or, rather, I could connect to both but not without losing the tensioning capability of the guy line. I figured I'd need some caribeaners or something to connect them.

Some guys in the park noticed my struggles and took pity on me, demonstrating a way to connect to both without additional hardware. Their method entailed removing the line from part of the tensioner and lacing it through the grommets, then putting it back through the tensioner and tying the loose end of the line to the tree.

To save time in the future, I'm just going to use the carribeaner method.
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

this was a really good joke that wasn’t fully appreciated. i would like a refund.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

this was a really good joke that wasn’t fully appreciated. i would like a refund.
                        No refunds without receipts.
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                        X