LDS contributions to culture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS contributions to culture

“Makes reason stare” is such a fine phrase. It’s Shakespearean. Vivid in its imagery, and getting the point across in a concise, arresting way. And what more important point is there ever to make? I sometimes say makes reason stare, but am careful not to overuse it. Someone has to really be acting foolishly. So far as I can tell, the phrase originated in Mormonism, and pretty much only folks raised in LDS culture use it. But the meaning requires no explanation. Mitt Romney has been quoted saying it. I think Eliza Snow originated the phrase. It deserves much wider use. Of course, how ironic that this phrase came from LDS.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

My favorite quote from an LDS dude:

"There is sex out there so exquisite that if you had an inkling of what you are missing you would be crushed under an intolerable weight of despair and regret."
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      “Makes reason stare” is such a fine phrase. It’s Shakespearean. Vivid in its imagery, and getting the point across in a concise, arresting way. And what more important point is there ever to make? I sometimes say makes reason stare, but am careful not to overuse it. Someone has to really be acting foolishly. So far as I can tell, the phrase originated in Mormonism, and pretty much only folks raised in LDS culture use it. But the meaning requires no explanation. Mitt Romney has been quoted saying it. I think Eliza Snow originated the phrase. It deserves much wider use. Of course, how ironic that this phrase came from LDS.

For once we agree, sort of, about something. I have used this phrase from time to time since I was around 15. I even had one of my former partners start using it.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

i guess tennis shoes among the nephites is pretty cool
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Mormons put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp.
          Mormons put the ram in the rama lama ding dong.
          Mormons put the bop in the bop shoo bop shoo bop.
          Mormons put the dip in the dip da dip da dip.
          Mormons made your baby fall in love with you.

Comment

Working...
          X