Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yanny or Laurel

Default Yanny or Laurel

I only hear Laurel at regular speed. My wife hears Yanny. My 10 year-old also hears Yanny. My 7 and 5 year-olds hear Laurel. I've tried headphones and different devices.

When it's slowed down 20% or more I hear Yanny. So do my younger two kids. My wife still can't hear Laurel when it's sped up by 40%.
    Last edited by Color Me Badd Fan; 05-16-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Yanny. I only hear Laurel when the pitch is elevated. Ditto for my wife. My son hears Laurel unless the pitch is very low.

So weird. And cool.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yanny. I only hear Laurel when the pitch is elevated. Ditto for my wife. My son hears Laurel unless the pitch is very low.

So weird. And cool.
    I edited my first post. My younger two kids hear Laurel
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

I hear laurel. Wife hears yanny. We were both exasperated the other could not hear it the way we did. Very strange.

Is there a video or audio attached to your post?
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Yanny for me and my kids.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Is there a video or audio attached to your post?

https://www.popsci.com/yanny-laurel-...vidence#page-2
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Laurel for me and Yanny for the rest of my house. I haven’t been able to do anything that makes it sound like Yanny to me. It’s very clearly Laurel every time. I almost feel like the Yanny crowd is just trying to make me feel stupid.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

I hear Yanny every time.

Quote Originally Posted by falafel View Post
    Yanny for me and my kids.
    Wow, I just had a full reversal. Before I only heard yanny. Now I hear Laurel clear as day.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

It's not exactly yanny to me. I'm not hearing the "n" sound in the middle. It's more like "yeah-e".
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by CJF View Post
    Laurel for me and Yanny for the rest of my house. I haven’t been able to do anything that makes it sound like Yanny to me. It’s very clearly Laurel every time. I almost feel like the Yanny crowd is just trying to make me feel stupid.
    LOL @ CJF!

Its Laurel...duh
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Yanny for everyone in my household except one daughter. She's obviously defective.

I hear both at the same time.

"I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Quote Originally Posted by Commando View Post
    I hear both at the same time.
    Yep. (Though admittedly, the n sounds more like an m to me. Yammy and Laurel. Or even a muddled w. Yawwy)
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    LOL @ CJF!
    I KNEW IT!
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

I can hear them both now the Yanny is lighter and kind of in the background for me. If I listen through my crappy computer speakers I hear Laurel if I am close and Yanny if I am more than 5 feet away. I can literally hear it transition as I step away.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    I can hear them both now the Yanny is lighter and kind of in the background for me. If I listen through my crappy computer speakers I hear Laurel if I am close and Yanny if I am more than 5 feet away. I can literally hear it transition as I step away.
    I just tried that - putting my ear right next to the speaker I hear laurel. As I move back I hear Yanny.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Yanny. I don't hear anything resembling an L or an R. I hear ee-annie.

yanny
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

"Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    It's not exactly yanny to me. I'm not hearing the "n" sound in the middle. It's more like "yeah-e".
    Just listened to the clip through my computer speakers and it was pretty clearly "laurel". Previously was listening through my phone.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

I hear laurel, wife yanny

I hear yanny. This is way more interesting than gray/pink dress. I can't hear L or R at all.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

I find it changes based on the quality of the speakers.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

OK, check out this video:

Once you isolate the two components and then listen again, I can hear both at the same time.

pretty crazy. On the headphones at work, it sounded like yanny. On my phone and home computer, it sounds like laurel.

Check this out:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...el-debate.html

Use the slider to emphasize different parts of the sound wave. Now I hear both parts clearly. Crazy how the brain just picks up one or the other initially.

I tried that yesterday. Went from hearing only yanny to either depending on slider position and direction to only laurel.

I wonder how I'd react initially if there were no word suggested before I heard the clip.