Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    How is a fly rod more efficient on a stream (Did I mention I'm a beginner)?
    Efficiency is the number of casts and the amount of bait time on the water. Fly fishing is a really fast in and out because the "bait" is floating on top. Fishing with conventional would require a bobber and a weighted hook and bait... more cumbersome to load and unload the casting process and trolling the pool of water.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Lebowski nailed it. Learning how to do it right is important and don't mess around with a half ass introduction unless you want to discourage them from enjoying it. Find a fishing friend or hire a guide. Given where you live, I would just jump into fly fishing. A fly rod is a much more efficient way to cover a stream and you have many great trout streams in your neck of the woods. Some pics of my son and I fishing thewest walker last summer in BigPiney's neck of the woods.

Attachment 8775

Attachment 8776
    Here's a song that features the Walker River in the opening lines...

Last edited by clackamascoug; 05-09-2018 at 12:47 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
    Lebowski nailed it. Learning how to do it right is important and don't mess around with a half ass introduction unless you want to discourage them from enjoying it. Find a fishing friend or hire a guide. Given where you live, I would just jump into fly fishing. A fly rod is a much more efficient way to cover a stream and you have many great trout streams in your neck of the woods. Some pics of my son and I fishing the west walker last summer in BigPiney's neck of the woods.

Attachment 8775

Attachment 8776
    Still waiting on a DM to go Fly Fishing...

As I was perusing their website last night looking for licensure info and the such, I found that the Department of Fish and Game runs a program called "Take Me Fishing". They park a trailer at one of several local ponds/lakes for four hours up to three times a week. While they are there, no licenses or anything are required. They also provide fishing rods and such that can be used during the event.

So I took my 10-year-old daughter to the event today at Marianne Williams Pond. She practiced using a couple different types of reels. The simple button closed reel style had a bobber and worm bait. The open reel type had a shiny lure. With the open reel lure, she reeled in a stocked rainbow trout (that had been hooked by one of the F&G employees). While we were debating whether or not to take it home, it worked its way off the hook, dropping back into the pond.

While my daughter was casting the line, I was casting questions at the employees about fish, fishing, etc. I learned a lot but still feel like I know very little about it.

They had started putting everything away by the time we were set to leave. Before they let us go, though, they gave her a new fishing pole, tackle box, and a hook/bobber set. She was on cloud nine.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
    Still waiting on a DM to go Fly Fishing...
    Sorry man. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dyslexics are teople poo...