2018 Giro; Oy vey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 Giro; Oy vey!

Anyone following the Giro at all? Dumolin with the big win in Stage 1 and Froome already down 37 seconds after fewer than 10k. Stage 2 was for the sprinters, but the pink jersey moved to Rohan Denis. Interestingly, the race's first 3 stages are in Israel. It is, I think, the first time a Grand Tor has started in a country outside of Europe. It has made for some interesting backgrounds and also has resulted in this tour having 3 rest days instead of just two, which also explains why it started on a Friday instead of a Saturday or Sunday as is often the case.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Stage two passed near our home.

IMG_0645.jpg

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0647.jpg

IMG_0648.jpg

IMG_0649.jpg
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

IMG_0650.jpg

IMG_0651.jpg

IMG_0652.jpg

Lot's of patriotic Israelis out for the event.

IMG_0626.jpg

They obviously view this and similar events held here as legitimizing the nation. Lots of discussion at work on Friday about how some rich Israeli gave the Giro 90 millio euros to bring the first three stages to the Israel.

Tour de France - check
      Giro d'Italia - check

I've even seen the Tour of Utah in person, which was fun.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Thanks noah for the pictures.

I follow Pinot and ten Dam on Strava and their average speed was mid 27's mph for a 145 miles. It's amazing how fast these guys are.
        Last edited by RC Vikings; 05-06-2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Nice pics, MBN. My morning conversation with the missus (an avid cyclist):

Me: MBN posted some nice photos of the Giro this morning. The peloton essentially went past his house!

Her: That's nice, but I thought he lived in Japan. When did they move to Italy?

Me: Actually, he lives in Tel Aviv.

Her: This day is getting off to a very strange start.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
            Nice pics, MBN. My morning conversation with the missus (an avid cyclist):

Me: MBN posted some nice photos of the Giro this morning. The peloton essentially went past his house!

Her: That's nice, but I thought he lived in Japan. When did they move to Italy?

Me: Actually, he lives in Tel Aviv.

Her: This day is getting off to a very strange start.
            Very odd to see pics for the Giro from Italy. Great pics though and I had no idea MBN moved to Israel. That boy gets around.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

The fans on stage three were very friendly, it appears, offering all of their best to the cyclists.

PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

The final hour of racing turned into a high-speed gauntlet as high winds funneled down a narrow desert valley. Gusting winds kicked up desert sand and propelled the peloton up to 70kph into the closing kilometers. A string of round-abouts, speed bumps and rough roads made for a harrowing finale to three days of racing in Israel.
                Read more at http://www.velonews.com/2018/05/giro...4eKgWHWMAQ6.99

Sounds like a terrible last day in the Middle East.

Comment

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                  The final hour of racing turned into a high-speed gauntlet as high winds funneled down a narrow desert valley. Gusting winds kicked up desert sand and propelled the peloton up to 70kph into the closing kilometers. A string of round-abouts, speed bumps and rough roads made for a harrowing finale to three days of racing in Israel.

Wow.
                  "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Yeah, roads here can be kinda spotty. But much, much better that any of the neighbors. And they love speed bumps. I guess they are a cheap way to control speed.

It's a long dusty road from Be'er Sheva to Eilat. A very impressive view as you descend from Mitzpe Ramon, but other than that, a whole lot of nothing. The wind whipping up the dust and sand must have been no fun at all.

Comment

Froome is having a tough Giro, I hope this is the end.

Comment

Froome is having a tough Giro, I hope this is the end.
                        Not so fast. Holy smokes, Froome went solo for the last 80k and blew everyone else away, taking the race lead by 40 seconds over Tom Dumolin. Simon Yates, the race leader going into today, had nothing left and lost 38 minutes. Crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                          Not so fast. Holy smokes, Froome went solo for the last 80k and blew everyone else away, taking the race lead by 40 seconds over Tom Dumolin. Simon Yates, the race leader going into today, had nothing left and lost 38 minutes. Crazy.
                          I just saw that. He must have found his inhaler.

Comment

I just saw that. He must have found his inhaler.
                            Ha ha ha, maybe. But velonews also had an article about how Team Sky had planned for the stage, and it actually worked out.

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbiker View Post
                              Ha ha ha, maybe. But velonews also had an article about how Team Sky had planned for the stage, and it actually worked out.
                              It sure did look Landis-esque. And given that his salbutamol case is still pending it is not the best of looks for him. I hope he is clean.
                              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                              X