No announcement yet.

2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i think i said it earlier in the thread - this isn't rocket science. byu doesn't have very good players. they have Childs and sometimes Haws. outside of those two, they have nobody. that's how you get games like Illinois State where it comes down to a missed FT or two or a TO or two to decide a game. you should never have to worry about a couple FTs or TOs to decide wins/losses against a team like Illinois State.

this group of "role players" is the worst i can remember, perhaps back before the Steve Cleveland days. and yes, tooblue, that includes the "MVP".
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      i think i said it earlier in the thread - this isn't rocket science. byu doesn't have very good players. they have Childs and sometimes Haws. outside of those two, they have nobody. that's how you get games like Illinois State where it comes down to a missed FT or two or a TO or two to decide a game. you should never have to worry about a couple FTs or TOs to decide wins/losses against a team like Illinois State.

this group of "role players" is the worst i can remember, perhaps back before the Steve Cleveland days. and yes, tooblue, that includes the "MVP".
      They would appear to have better players if they could make more open three point shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
        They would appear to have better players if they could make more open three point shots.
        of course there is a reason they can't make more open threes.

because they aren't very good.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

of course there is a reason they can't make more open threes.

because they aren't very good.
          Well, something still doesn't make sense. HS players not good enough to play in college can still make more than 10%. Good church ball players can shoot better than that. I'm thinking it's talent underperforming more than bad talent. Or it's a major confidence issue.
          Last edited by BlueK; 11-29-2018, 11:29 AM.

Comment

Well, something still doesn't make sense. HS players not good enough to play in college can still make more than 10%. Good church ball players can shoot better than that. I'm thinking it's talent underperforming more than bad talent. Or it's a major confidence issue.
            there is a difference between making threes in an empty gym, a church ball game, a hs game and making them against good D1 athletes. you say, but they are open - what is the difference? the difference is the pressure. the difference is that even if you are open, you have a 6'7" athlete running at you. it still comes down to talent. and even if they are "open", an "open" three in a church ball game is simply different than an "open" three in a D1 game which is different still than an open three in a NBA game.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

there is a difference between making threes in an empty gym, a church ball game, a hs game and making them against good D1 athletes. you say, but they are open - what is the difference? the difference is the pressure. the difference is that even if you are open, you have a 6'7" athlete running at you. it still comes down to talent. and even if they are "open", an "open" three in a church ball game is simply different than an "open" three in a D1 game which is different still than an open three in a NBA game.
              Ok, but so far their percentages are all worse than last year except for Haws and Seljaas who have improved. They didn't switch levels, so what else is going on?

3pt %:
              Cannon:
              last year: .326
              this year: .214

Hardnett:
              this year: .261

Nixon:
              last year: .238
              this year: .077

Childs:
              last year: .313
              this year: .318

Bergersen:
              last year: .400 (only 10 attempts)

Seljaas:
              last year: .295
              this year: .366

Haws:
              last year: .309
              this year: .362
              Last edited by BlueK; 11-29-2018, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Ok, but so far their percentages are all worse than last year except for Haws and Seljaas who have improved. They didn't switch levels, so what else is going on?

3pt %:
                Cannon:

Hardnett:
                this year: .261

Nixon:
                last year: .238
                this year: .077

Childs:
                last year: .313
                this year: .318

Bergersen:
                last year: .400 (only 10 attempts)

Seljaas:
                last year: .295
                this year: .366

Haws:
                last year: .309
                this year: .362
                Looks like Childs has a slight improvement.

I'm kind of shocked that Bergersen was 40% last year - even if it was just 10 shots. My recollection was that the few times he got into games, he was quick on the trigger and consistently missed badly.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

i think i said it earlier in the thread - this isn't rocket science. byu doesn't have very good players. they have Childs and sometimes Haws. outside of those two, they have nobody. that's how you get games like Illinois State where it comes down to a missed FT or two or a TO or two to decide a game. you should never have to worry about a couple FTs or TOs to decide wins/losses against a team like Illinois State.

Many here seem to wish it not be the case, but that is BYU's roster. It is what Rose has to work with and there is no one else is to blame but Rose for putting it together.

As for the worst roster talent wise that can be remembered, that's a ridiculous statement. The problem is, this is the least coachable roster that I can remember.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                    Many here seem to wish it not be the case, but that is BYU's roster. It is what Rose has to work with and no one else is to blame but Rose for putting it together.

As for the worst roster talent wise that can be remembered, that's a ridiculous statement. The problem is, this is the least coachable roster that I can remember.
                    of course that isn't what i said, but it's not important.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

of course that isn't what i said, but it's not important.
                      I understand you said role players, but that's precisely the problem isn't it. There is only one role player, or at least one guy capable and willing to play a role.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                        I understand you said role players, but that's precisely the problem isn't it. There is only one role player, or at least one guy capable and willing to play a role.
                        hardnett isn't the only one. i think baxter and harding are doing a pretty good job as well but they are just freshmen - they have a ways to go.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

hardnett isn't the only one. i think baxter and harding are doing a pretty good job as well but they are just freshmen - they have a ways to go.
                          This is BYU's roster ...

The Star player:

Childs

The Demi-star player(s):

Haws
                          Harding (looks like he could eventually be better than Haws)

The wanna-be star players, who should be role players, but struggle to accept their fate:

Hardnett
                          Emery (in fairness, the jury is still out)

The actual role players:

Nixon
                          Cannon

The I believe I'm at least a demi-star player, but just aren't:

Seljass
                          Baxter

The players who are wasting their chance to play a role of some kind:

Bergersen
                          Lee
                          Last edited by tooblue; 11-29-2018, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• Not sure I agree that Haws is a Demi-star player.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• This team sucks.
                              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                              -Turtle
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                This team sucks.
                                Of course they suck. This isn't a team that requires a lot of analysis to explain why they don't play well.
                                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Working...
                                X