2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    I think folks don't like Nixon because he isn't great. Right now he is the best option to play alongside Yoeli as our 2nd "big" but that role for him is likely only going to exist as long as it takes Baxter to get some experience and develop. I don't know how long it will take but likely Baxter's minutes will likely continue to increase as time goes by.

I would think that both Harding and Baxter will be starters next year even if everyone returns- which is doubtful unfortunately as I think BYU could be a legitimately good team next year if Yoeli doesn't bolt. A starting 5 of Yoeli, Baxter, Connor, TJ and Hardnett with Emery, Seljaas, Nixon and Lee coming off the bench would be a really good BYU hoops team.
    This. Nixon is not great, but he's marginally better than the other options right now. I like tooblue's definition of him as a glue guy. I'm fine with him starting over Worthington. He's at about the same level defensively but is better offensively. Baxter looks to have a lot more natural ability, but is still working through acclimating to D-1 basketball.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Has Bergerson made a 3 pointer yet this season?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
        Has Bergerson made a 3 pointer yet this season?
        Turns out he was 3-9 before tonight’s game. But every time he shoots from 3 I cringe. I suppose it could be worse. Cannon was 1-10 before tonight.

Comment

• He had a wide open look from the corner there before the half.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Haws shooting 4/6 from three. The rest of the team is 0/10. 25% isn’t going to cut it against Houston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Where is Nixon when we need him? Besides giving up 5 threes to Allie?

*Banned*

Comment

• Well, this doesn't appear to be very awesome.

Comment

• Switched the team
                  Mvp off Allie. Gives up two baskets inside to Brady.

*Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    Where is Nixon when we need him? Besides giving up 5 threes to Allie?

Yoeli was guarding Alley on many of those threes because of switch offs - at least 3 of the 5.

Comment

• Yoeli played like crap this game. Crap passing out of the double team. Crap rebounding. Crap shots. Sat much of the second half on the bench not because of foul trouble but because he sucked.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        Yoeli played like crap this game. Crap passing out of the double team. Crap rebounding. Crap shots. Sat much of the second half on the bench not because of foul trouble but because he sucked.
                        It was a bit of a disappointment this past game. I still have hope that Baxter and Harding will develop, but other than Yoeli and TJ it looked to me like everybody else on the team was not only unable to score but flat out scared to try. Tough to have a good college hoops team with only two scoring threats. I really think/hope that Nick Emery is good enough to be a consistent scorer.

With all the whining about BYU coaches, often without a grasp on the reality of who/what BYU is and perhaps more importantly what the institution wants to be, I am hesitant to do down this road but should BYU be better than it has been the past few years? Rose seems to me to have two very distinct periods in his BYU coaching tenure, one in which he overachieved BYU's historical performance and another where he has underachieved. Likely the amplitudes of both the peak and valley are similar in how far they differ from the historical average. However, I believe the biggest independent variable in causing the underachievement has been the turnover/guys going pro before their eligibility is expired. Perhaps, I have yet to understand the changing sands with respect to kids jumping to pro contracts in Europe, the Far East, the Middle East, South America or wherever else they are going but for BYU to be as good as they can be somehow the program needs to figure out a way to incentivize kids to stay in Provo for four years. BYU is not doing as well as it did before, within the entire body of college hoops, so somehow this dynamic of professional ball around the world has not seemed to degrade every other program to a similar corresponding degree. To be good BYU needs kids to develop, for example look at how good TJ finally is becoming as an upperclassman for example - he was one that many had written off of ever being legitimately good and now it appears he is finding that realm. After these many underachieving years to have a team where 8 of the 13 players are upperclassmen, most with significant experience in the program and then to only have 3, giving Nick Emery the benefit of the doubt, legitimate scoring threats is a problem, IMO. That problem is further compounded if one of those 3 would rather play as a pro for what $80,000/yr in Tel Aviv instead of spending a senior year in Provo on a team that may have a chance to finally win a game in the NCAA tourney. If Yoeli goes pro after this year I see it difficult for BYU to be any better next year than they are this. Then Baxter will develop well enough next year to likely jump to a pro league somewhere after getting married and playing 3 years in Provo. As I said perhaps similar to football the changing sands of the world make it impossible for BYU to ever be good as anyone they can recruit good enough to go pro someplace is doing it before being done in Provo and the cycle starts over with BYU only reaching a frustrating level of mediocrity.
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                          It was a bit of a disappointment this past game. I still have hope that Baxter and Harding will develop, but other than Yoeli and TJ it looked to me like everybody else on the team was not only unable to score but flat out scared to try. Tough to have a good college hoops team with only two scoring threats. I really think/hope that Nick Emery is good enough to be a consistent scorer.

With all the whining about BYU coaches, often without a grasp on the reality of who/what BYU is and perhaps more importantly what the institution wants to be, I am hesitant to do down this road but should BYU be better than it has been the past few years? Rose seems to me to have two very distinct periods in his BYU coaching tenure, one in which he overachieved BYU's historical performance and another where he has underachieved. Likely the amplitudes of both the peak and valley are similar in how far they differ from the historical average. However, I believe the biggest independent variable in causing the underachievement has been the turnover/guys going pro before their eligibility is expired. Perhaps, I have yet to understand the changing sands with respect to kids jumping to pro contracts in Europe, the Far East, the Middle East, South America or wherever else they are going but for BYU to be as good as they can be somehow the program needs to figure out a way to incentivize kids to stay in Provo for four years. BYU is not doing as well as it did before, within the entire body of college hoops, so somehow this dynamic of professional ball around the world has not seemed to degrade every other program to a similar corresponding degree. To be good BYU needs kids to develop, for example look at how good TJ finally is becoming as an upperclassman for example - he was one that many had written off of ever being legitimately good and now it appears he is finding that realm. After these many underachieving years to have a team where 8 of the 13 players are upperclassmen, most with significant experience in the program and then to only have 3, giving Nick Emery the benefit of the doubt, legitimate scoring threats is a problem, IMO. That problem is further compounded if one of those 3 would rather play as a pro for what $80,000/yr in Tel Aviv instead of spending a senior year in Provo on a team that may have a chance to finally win a game in the NCAA tourney. If Yoeli goes pro after this year I see it difficult for BYU to be any better next year than they are this. Then Baxter will develop well enough next year to likely jump to a pro league somewhere after getting married and playing 3 years in Provo. As I said perhaps similar to football the changing sands of the world make it impossible for BYU to ever be good as anyone they can recruit good enough to go pro someplace is doing it before being done in Provo and the cycle starts over with BYU only reaching a frustrating level of mediocrity.
                          Huh? What is is about BYU that makes guys going professional early more problematic than at other programs?
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• that game exposed byu. they have one really good player in Childs, and another in Haws, who, if he's hitting can be pretty good. outside of those two, nobody would would be a lock to start - perhaps even a lock to be in a 7 or 8 man rotation on any other decent D1 team.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Huh? What is is about BYU that makes guys going professional early more problematic than at other programs?
                              I had same thought. It dilutes the college game, but we're not at a disadvantage relative to other schools. College football definitely has had dynamics that is killing the program. Basketball, not so much. Utah is kicking our butt in in-state recruiting, when we seemed to have about a 10 year run of dominating them. We're getting Timpview's best player every year, while Utah is taking the best in the state. That's one dynamic that's changed, but I don't know that it's institution related.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                that game exposed byu. they have one really good player in Childs, and another in Haws, who, if he's hitting can be pretty good. outside of those two, nobody would would be a lock to start - perhaps even a lock to be in a 7 or 8 man rotation on any other decent D1 team.
                                I'm wishing Seljaas would have transferred. If he can't shoot, and worse won't shoot, he's a waste of space on the floor.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X