Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 LastLast

Thread: 2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Our unathletic white guy teams in the past competed well mainly because of excellent three throw and three point shooting. WTF has happened in the last five years in those two areas?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by HBCoug View Post
    Solid win that they tried very hard to give away. The final defensive set in regulation was comical as has been mentioned, but let's discuss free throws. Look, I don't expect Luke to make free throws. Going 0-2 from the line in crunch time was expected and frankly I think we should show encouragement to him every time his sneakers are tied correctly and he's out there getting good exercise most importantly. I can deal with Yo going 1-2 - he's not a great shooter and certainly doesn't have a pure stroke. But for dudes like Seljaas to miss the front end of a crucial 1 and 1 and for Emery to brick the front end of what would've forced USD into a rushed 3 after going the length of the court is unacceptable. Unathletic white dudes have one job and that is to be great free throw shooters. Haws is really the only guy I trust to take critical foul shots and yet our team is full of unathletic white dudes. Cannon? 53% from the stripe. Emery? 72% Harding? 65%. You guys have one job.
    Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Our unathletic white guy teams in the past competed well mainly because of excellent three throw and three point shooting. WTF has happened in the last five years in those two areas?
    Preach!
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Pathetic FT shooting at the end of regulation notwithstanding, that was a nice win. Only the second home loss this year for SD. This year's BYU team has had some head-scratching pathetic games, but one thing they have done is perform well in close games. We have closed out a lot of tight games this year and they deserve credit for that.

TJ is having a helluva year. Remember when tooblue said he was a cancer and the main problem on the team? Good times.
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 02-15-2019 at 10:56 AM.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Pathetic FT shooting at the end of regulation notwithstanding, that was a nice win. Only the second home loss this year for SD. This year's BYU team has had some head-scratching pathetic games, but one thing they have done well is perform well in close games. We have closed out a lot of tight games this year and they deserve credit for that.

TJ is having a helluva year. Remember when tooblue said he was a cancer and the main problem on the team? Good times.
    I was really down on TJ last year and beginning of this year, but he has definitely turned it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Pathetic FT shooting at the end of regulation notwithstanding, that was a nice win. Only the second home loss this year for SD. This year's BYU team has had some head-scratching pathetic games, but one thing they have done well is perform well in close games. We have closed out a lot of tight games this year and they deserve credit for that.

Just in time too. We needed someone to step up when the team MVP went down with a flurry of DNPs - Coach's Decision.

Quote Originally Posted by HBCoug View Post
    Just in time too. We needed someone to step up when the team MVP went down with a flurry of DNPs - Coach's Decision.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    I was really down on TJ last year and beginning of this year, but he has definitely turned it around.
    I was in this group as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Omaha 680 View Post
    Kinda does seem like they're just throwing 'em up sometimes, right?

Childs is giving Cannon an earful for that forced pass.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Way to close it out, BYU. Nice job with free throws.

Quote Originally Posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    Way to close it out, BYU. Nice job with free throws.
    Yep Seljaas and Baxter were solid and 18/21 FTs isn’t bad. Fun last 10 minutes. The 1-3-1 with Baxter at the top kind of worked this time.

20 wins in the regular season could still happen with just winning 2 home games. No bad losses yet in conference. I’m liking this team more and more. Sign me up for NIT tickets!

I took the family to the game. Really fun last ten minutes. Go Cougs!

If Yoeli sticks around for his senior year, Jesse Wade is almost as good as Dave Rose thinks he is and nobody gets hurt next year BYU could actually have a good team.

Why in the name of all that is holy would Yoeli go pro somewhere for next year?
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    If Yoeli sticks around for his senior year, Jesse Wade is almost as good as Dave Rose thinks he is and nobody gets hurt next year BYU could actually have a good team.

Because it’s so damn hard to turn down 60k in a meddling German league.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    Because it’s so damn hard to turn down 60k in a meddling German league.
    Yeah. Those German cagers need to mind their own business.
    "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

"Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

Jesse looks really good in practice. He hits a lot of shots and has very active hands.

College basketball just seems like it would be more enjoyable to me than bouncing around the European minor leagues. In Yoeli's case I don't think finishing out his eligibility hurts him. He won't be that old since he didn't do the mission and didn't redshirt. If he comes back, both he and his wife can play out their eligibility and both get their degrees. It didn't hurt Brandon Davies' pro career to play his senior year. He's done well in Europe. I can understand leaving early for those who are NBA first round picks. Other than that select group, I don't really see the benefit.
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-19-2019 at 07:25 AM.

So am I correct that BYU is one win away from clinching the #2 seed in the conf. tourney, which earns a bye into the semi-finals? Man, what coulda been. OT losses vs. Ill. St. and UNLV and an egg at Weber St. are pretty much keeping us from being on the good side of the tourney bubble.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    So am I correct that BYU is one win away from clinching the #2 seed in the conf. tourney, which earns a bye into the semi-finals? Man, what coulda been. OT losses vs. Ill. St. and UNLV and an egg at Weber St. are pretty much keeping us from being on the good side of the tourney bubble.
    we would be in the conversation at least. This is a good site that compiles the W/L records of the top 100 or so teams on the NCAA NET ranking against the 4 quadrants.

BYU is now #75 on the NET with the following records against each quadrant. Utah is at #101, so being a neutral site game they would be a Q2 win for us by moving up one spot. If we had won those bad December games (including SDSU), we'd be 10-0 vs. Q3 and our profile would actually blend right in with what teams on the bubble have. We have a chance to pick up another Q2 win against USF.

Q1: 0-6
    Q2: 3-0
    Q3: 6-4
    Q4: 9-0

Here are TCU's numbers, currently projected as a 10 seed by Joe Lunardi:

Q1: 1-6
    Q2: 5-3
    Q3: 6-0
    Q4: 5-0

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/net-nitty

Obviously we're not in the at large discussion for the NCAA tournament, but I'm curious as to how the NIT committee will look at those bad losses of ours. Since they came early in the season, I don't think they'll carry a ton of weight with them, meaning we can probably earn a pretty decent seeding if we keep winning. Plus, I wonder if they give consideration to the fact that Emery wasn't with us yet, sort of how they might look at an injury. Now that he's back it may help us.
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-19-2019 at 11:12 AM.

This team managed to be the first one to avoid the dreaded bad loss to a WCC team. It's not really possible anymore for that to happen in the regular season at this point, since USD doesn't qualify as one of those, being a top 100 team. In the conference tournament under the new format it doesn't look very likely we even end up playing against a lower ranked WCC opponent again. If we're the 2 seed, we go straight to the semis to most likely play the #3 seed, barring them losing in a huge upset in the previous round. Even if we were to slip all the way down to the 4 seed, which is as far down as we can go now, before Gonzaga we are likely to face USD again who probably won't lose to the 8 or 9 team.
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-19-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Anyone know if D-hole is correct?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    It's not exactly correct. But we have the advantage for sure with having one fewer loss and one fewer game remaining. We most likely eliminate USF from 2nd by beating them Thursday. If we beat USF and USD we clinch 2nd if SMC loses in their last game of the season hosting Gonzaga. And that only matters if SMC wins their other 3 remaining games leading up to it. If SMC wins out, including upsetting Gonzaga, and we go 2-1 then they tie us for 2nd and win the tiebreaker by virtue of going 1-1 vs. Gonzaga.

Currently:
    BYU 10-3
    USF 8-4
    SMC 8-4
    Last edited by BlueK; 02-19-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    They have to beat USF for sure. That might clinch it. But if their only win is SD, they can definitely fall below the 2 seed.

Quote Originally Posted by beefytee View Post
    They have to beat USF for sure. That might clinch it. But if their only win is SD, they can definitely fall below the 2 seed.
    Jeff Sagarin now has a "recent" rating that gives more weight to more recent results. Under that formula we're about a 7 point favorite over USF. Under his overall rating we would be favored by about 2 points. In both cases this is factoring in for home court advantage.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

Can somebody explain why the USF coach called that timeout at the end of the first half to allow Haws to get the long 3?

I don’t get it.

BYU is looking strong so far this half.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
    Can somebody explain why the USF coach called that timeout at the end of the first half to allow Haws to get the long 3?

I don’t get it.
    I don’t get it either.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Baxter is a difference maker.

At the beginning of conference play I thought 20 regular season wins was the absolute ceiling for this team and looks like they will get there.

Turnover city right now.

Quote Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post

I don’t get it.
    Coach didn't get it either. Admitted he was kicking himself for that one.