2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    "cager" = arcane. Lol. Just stop already.
    I took at stab at the google machine and found this S.I. article, from 1991:

Here is the pop quiz for today. A cager is:

1) a lion tamer
    2) a four-wall handball player
    3) a basketball player.

If you answered 3, then you're a fan of a certain age—gray, or at least graying at the temples—because a quarter century ago, basketball players were often called "cagers" and their sport was the "cage game" in the newspapers. The terms were useful shorthand for harried headline writers, most of whom probably had no idea how they had originated.

The words go back to basketball's Stone Age and the first professional players.
    https://www.si.com/vault/1991/11/11/...-from-the-fans

A quarter century before 1991 was 1966! I know some of you were watching professional basketball in 1966, but I still had to watch from the P.E.L. for another 13 years before I joined the Saturdays Warriors and the veil wiped my knowledge of the term "cager" from my memory.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

It is a very common term.

Wait until falafel hears the word "gridiron".
      And note that "cindermen" isn't a reference to firefighters. I liked sportswriters of old who would come up with endless synonyms for routine sports terms.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        And note that "cindermen" isn't a reference to firefighters. I liked sportswriters of old who would come up with endless synonyms for routine sports terms.
        I am guessing the term "pigskin" also generates tons of confusion.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

I am guessing the term "pigskin" also generates tons of confusion.
          I am legitimately in the dark about cindermen. I even tried looking it up.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            I am legitimately in the dark about cindermen. I even tried looking it up.
            somebody who runs track?
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              somebody who runs track?
              Yes. They run on cinder tracks.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                somebody who runs track?
                Correct, because that's what high school and other tracks were composed of, or so I was told. I believe "thinclads" has also been applied to those who run competitively.

I did a google search and the first result was a 1962 Harvard Crimson article about the track team.
                Last edited by PaloAltoCougar; 10-17-2018, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Count me in as one who never heard of "cagers" in reference to basketball. I was in the PE until around the same time as falafel, for what it's worth.

I do know that edgy motorcycle riders condescendingly refer to any automobile driver as a cager.
                  "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                  "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                  This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                  "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                  "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

It is a very common term.
                    Maybe for you, PAC and BYU71.
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      Maybe for you, PAC and BYU71.
                      And a bunch of young sportswriters, apparently.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Correct, because that's what high school and other tracks were composed of, or so I was told. I believe "thinclads" has also been applied to those who run competitively.

I did a google search and the first result was a 1962 Harvard Crimson article about the track team.
                        My kids school is so poor they can't even afford cinders. They run on dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          My kids school is so poor they can't even afford cinders. They run on dirt.
                          We had a dirt track in junior high and then graduated to something else in high school. When I first ran on BYU's track, I loved the bouncy feel you had when you ran.
                          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I was very familiar with the term "cagers" but was unaware of the etymology. I had always assumed that the "cage" was the basketball net.

My middle school had a cinder track so I was up to speed on that one.

Comment

This dude just committed to BYU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h3xhRhq9TU

He totally rattles in his free throw attempt in his first highlight. Sorry for the spoiler.

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                                This dude just committed to BYU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9h3xhRhq9TU

He totally rattles in his free throw attempt in his first highlight. Sorry for the spoiler.
                                Interesting. I couldn't find much on him. Is this a big deal? Did he choose us over any big name schools? Watching the video, I'm not sure what to think. He plays small for a 7 footer, crouching down on his turn arounds and not really utilizing his body and length. But then he looked decisive and powerful on a couple of his moves. First impression is that I'm not holding my breath for this guy to be a star. But, cool. 7 ft Chinese basketball player is interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X