Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: 2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    TJ Haws. What a waste of talent. He took a step forward last year, but that was back to bullshit fancy pants basketball. Five turnovers and it seemed like 10. If there's a difficult dribble, pass, or shot, he knows how to make it more difficult. Takes an easy left handed layup and turns it into a scoop shot high off the back board. You don't get points for degree of difficulty. Why TJ?
    TO me he looks like he has never adjusted to the fact that unlike HS, in college he is at best marginally athletic and often one of the least athletic people on the floor. He keeps thinking he can do things he did in HS but it doesnt work in D1 ball.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Quote Originally Posted by creekster View Post
    TO me he looks like he has never adjusted to the fact that unlike HS, in college he is at best marginally athletic and often one of the least athletic people on the floor. He keeps thinking he can do things he did in HS but it doesnt work in D1 ball.
    He came with the reputation of being more athletic than his brother and he was more of a star in HS than Tyler was. His driving game hasn't translated so well to the college one. But he can still be an effective player for us if he can pick his spots better and doesn't try to do more than he can. Other aspects of his game have improved though. He's improved his defense, rebounds well and will probably lead the team in assists. A lot of his problem is also that he probably can't meet the expectations he came with.
    Last edited by BlueK; 11-07-2018 at 03:22 PM.

Looking to be in town Friday night and may take my girls to the UVU game. Any better place to get tickets than the ticket office? Where's DDD when I need him?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    He came with the reputation of being more athletic than his brother and he was more of a star in HS than Tyler was. His driving game hasn't translated so well to the college one. But he can still be an effective player for us if he can pick his spots better and doesn't try to do more than he can. Other aspects of his game have improved though. He's improved his defense, rebounds well and will probably lead the team in assists. A lot of his problem is also that he probably can't meet the expectations he came with.
    his shooting hasn't translated either.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Pre-Historic Man

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    He has mastered the turnover game though, there's that.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

TJ actually had 7 turnovers, for some reason one of them was marked as a team turnover, and then he threw that pass off of Dalton Nixons foot and they gave that turnover to Nixon.

Martin locked him down. He was longer, quicker, more athletic. TJ didn't know what to do. He should have stayed around the perimeter and shot spot up threes.

Also Jashire is officially the guy where the ball movement goes to die. How many times did he hold the ball at the top of the key and jab step, before launching an ill advised three. He should never lead our team in shots.

Again Bergerson is not a D-1 player.

Love Baxter.

Harding is Toolson 2.0, he will play a nice role this year.

Kolby Lee runs like a mongol.

Luke continues to miss bunnies inside.

This team needs Nick Emery.

Seljaas actually had 5 really good looks from deep in the first 10 minutes (only made 2, but I can live with 40%) Nevada adjusted and he couldn't get a shot off after that.

Nevada was the better team. We weren't going to win that game. I am glad for the most part we kept it close. But if we can't hit from 3, it is going to be a really long season.
    Last edited by cougjunkie; 11-08-2018 at 01:35 PM.
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    As a freshman he shot 40% from 3. Last year it dropped 10 points from that in Schroyer's offense. It's too early for this year to tell if he can go back to his earlier success. Maybe he can't, but I'm still going to hope for a couple more games that changing to a more traditional Rose offense will help his shot. I still think he takes a lot of heat from the fans because he came with even higher expectations than his brother and because he looks goofy.
    Last edited by BlueK; 11-08-2018 at 12:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    As a freshman he shot 40% from 3. Last year it dropped 10 points from that in Schroyer's offense. It's too early for this year to tell if he can go back to his earlier success. Maybe he can't, but I'm still going to hope for a couple more games that changing to a more traditional Rose offense will help his shot. I still think he takes a lot of heat from the fans because he came with even higher expectations than his brother and because he looks goofy.
    I haven't seen the team yet this year, is he still sporting that lesbian haircut?

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    I haven't seen the team yet this year, is he still sporting that lesbian haircut?
    No. Thank goodness.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    No. Thank goodness.
    I think you two and BlueK are talking about different players.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    I think you two and BlueK are talking about different players.
    Whoops. Yes.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Whoops. Yes.
    As ugly as Zac's haircut was, he was still a way more attractive lesbian than TJ could ever hope to be.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    As ugly as Zac's haircut was, he was still a way more attractive lesbian than TJ could ever hope to be.

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    TJ actually had 7 turnovers, for some reason one of them was marked as a team turnover, and then he threw that pass off of Dalton Nixons foot and they gave that turnover to Nixon.

Martin locked him down. He was longer, quicker, more athletic. TJ didn't know what to do. He should have stayed around the perimeter and shot spot up threes.

Also Jashire is officially the guy where the ball movement goes to die. How many teams did he hold the ball at the top of the key and jab step, before launching an ill advised three. He should never lead our team in shots.

Again Bergerson is not a D-1 player.

Love Baxter.

Harding is Toolson 2.0, he will play a nice role this year.

Kolby Lee runs like a mongol.

Luke continues to miss bunnies inside.

This team needs Nick Emery.

Seljaas actually had 5 really good looks from deep in the first 10 minutes (only made 2, but I can live with 40%) Nevada adjusted and he couldn't get a shot off after that.

Nevada was the better team. We weren't going to win that game. I am glad for the most part we kept it close. But if we can't hit from 3, it is going to be a really long season.
    Pretty much agree. Doesn't Harding have more length than Toolson, though?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

yikes. NCAA dropped the hammer on BYU.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...tudent-athlete

Division I membership-approved infractions penalty guidelines were used to prescribe the following measures:

Two years of probation from Nov. 9, 2018, through Nov. 8, 2020.
    A vacation of records in which the student-athlete participated while ineligible.
    A reduction of one men’s basketball scholarship, served during the earliest possible academic year (self-imposed by the university).
    Recruiting restrictions detailed in the public report.
    A disassociation of one of the boosters (self-imposed by the university).
    A $5,000 fine (self-imposed by the university).
    BYU's response:

https://byucougars.com/story/m-baske...to-NCAA-Review

“The vacation-of-records penalty is extremely harsh and unprecedented given the details of the case. For more than two decades, the NCAA has not required an institution to vacate games in similar cases where the COI found there was no institutional knowledge of or involvement in the violation by either the coaching staff or other university personnel. In fact, this sanction includes the most severe vacation-of-record penalty ever imposed in the history of NCAA Division I basketball for infractions that included no institutional knowledge or involvement. In addition, in the case most similar to this situation, appropriate penalties were imposed, but no wins were vacated. BYU believes the vacation-of-records penalty is unfair and not consistent with recent NCAA precedent. The university plans to appeal the decision.”
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

What a joke.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

LOL. If this exact same silly scenario happens at Duke, Kentucky, Kansas or even mid level power conference basketball schools like Texas, Washington or Arizona State, does the NCAA even bat an eye?

This game is difficult to watch.
    -Turtle

Our offense. What in the world is it?

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Our offense. What in the world is it?
    Dribble. Brick. Dribble. Turnover. Repeat.
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    This game is difficult to watch.
    Yes, it is.
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Start hitting shots to go up 8 and then......

We are not fun.

Would be nice if Yo would post up more than brick 3s.

Quote Originally Posted by SCcoug View Post
    Would be nice if Yo would post up more than brick 3s.
    the timing and selection of these shots has been crazy
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

We didn't make it to the game tonight. Caught a few minutes on the radio just before halftime and was kind of glad not to be there.

What happened?
    - Goatnapper'96

Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    We didn't make it to the game tonight. Caught a few minutes on the radio just before halftime and was kind of glad not to be there.

What happened?
    I didn’t catch the game but SVP just made fun of the ginger Holy Ghost for turning it over with 8 seconds left up 12 which allowed Toolsen to score and thus beat the spread.
    "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Quote Originally Posted by Blueintheface View Post
    I didn’t catch the game but SVP just made fun of the ginger Holy Ghost for turning it over with 8 seconds left up 12 which allowed Toolsen to score and thus beat the spread.
    It was kind of bush league. Game was over. BYU was dribbling out the clock to end the game. Then they jump on TJ, steal the ball and lay it in with .5 second left. I don't think Rose appreciated it either. He gave Pope the Randy Bennett handshake.
    -Turtle

Two games in:

Hardnett ... So far it appears he is merely going to have a good year—nuts.
    Haws ... No change—he determines whether or not this team makes the Big Dance
    Seljass ... Can we trade him and Bergersen for Jake Toolson?
    Worthington ... yup
    Childs ... Still BYU's best player, still young in a basketball years sense, still not a legit NBA prospect
    Nixon ... still MVP—BYU doesn't beat UVU without him
    Bergersen ... He is a D1 player, but see above
    Cannon ... too bad Wade is not eligible
    Baxter ... Raaaaw, but he will definitely contribute this season and that's exciting
    Harding ... Wish he was more Jimmy Balderson—maybe with more time?
    Emery ... That is a lot of growing up to do—here's hoping he can still be that spark plug
    Lee ... He'll continue to take some of Worthington's limited minutes
    The rest ... we need a little more 'Dastrup on the bench' from them
    Last edited by tooblue; 11-10-2018 at 08:00 PM.