Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 427

Thread: 2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

  1. #31

    Default

    Some utes were telling me it was going to be multiple years of probation for the program with scholarship cuts, postseason bans, and who knows what else. What happened?

  2. #32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Topper View Post
    Taysomsbitch isn't taken.

  3. #33

    Default

    Alright BYU, it's time to release the whole schedule please.

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    Alright BYU, it's time to release the whole schedule please.
    https://byucougars.com/schedule/m-basketball/2018-2019

    Emery gets to play against USU and Utah

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    https://byucougars.com/schedule/m-basketball/2018-2019

    Emery gets to play against USU and Utah
    I'm happy for him and the team, but honestly, do you think he'll ever be what he was? Something like this seems to take a toll on players' performance.

    "Outlined against a blue, gray
    October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
    Grantland Rice, 1924

  6. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    I'm happy for him and the team, but honestly, do you think he'll ever be what he was? Something like this seems to take a toll on players' performance.
    Let's face it, Emery was never really that great. So in this case, I have every expectation that he'll be exactly what he was.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

  7. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
    Let's face it, Emery was never really that great. So in this case, I have every expectation that he'll be exactly what he was.
    He was all-conference as a freshman.

  8. #38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
    I'm happy for him and the team, but honestly, do you think he'll ever be what he was? Something like this seems to take a toll on players' performance.
    His personal issues already took a toll during his sophomore year. His mental state could very well be much better this year which could/should translate into his play on the court. We'll see how it goes.

  9. #39

    Default

    Jesse Wade from Gonzaga announced he is transferring to BYU.

  10. #40
    Striving for mediocrity Art Vandelay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    9,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    Jesse Wade from Gonzaga announced he is transferring to BYU.
    Kid rode the pine at the Kennel, and was likely to get even less PT in the future. Odds are he will be a contributor, if not starter in Provo. Good indicator of how far apart the two programs are.

  11. #41

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Kid rode the pine at the Kennel, and was likely to get even less PT in the future. Odds are he will be a contributor, if not starter in Provo. Good indicator of how far apart the two programs are.
    Know who else rode the pine as a freshman?

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas.../rui-hachimura

  12. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Kid rode the pine at the Kennel, and was likely to get even less PT in the future. Odds are he will be a contributor, if not starter in Provo. Good indicator of how far apart the two programs are.
    It will probably be quite a while before he's a starter for BYU, or probably even a contributor depending on how you define that. Depth isn't a bad thing anyway.

  13. #43
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    It will probably be quite a while before he's a starter for BYU, or probably even a contributor depending on how you define that. Depth isn't a bad thing anyway.
    Yip. At least a year.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  14. #44

    Default

    there is no reason Wade can't come in and compete for a starting job as soon as he is eligible to play.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  15. #45

    Default

    ESPN releases their pre-season BPI rankings. BYU is #32. Almost a 50 spot improvement over where they finished last year: 80. Their computer at least sees something good. It will be interesting to compare where BYU lands on other similar systems like Pomeroy and Sagarin which are typically not that much different.

    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...tball-bpi-2018

    Opponents:
    2. Gonzaga
    11. Nevada
    17. Mississippi State
    48. Houston
    51. San Diego State
    54. St. Mary's
    71. Utah State

    the Utes did not crack the top 100. Boohoo.
    Last edited by BlueK; 07-31-2018 at 11:13 AM.

  16. #46

    Default

    The full basketball schedule is up. I would expect the TV schedule to be posted pretty soon since the conference schedule is usually pretty well dictated by which games ESPN wants to show and when.

    https://byucougars.com/schedule/m-basketball/

  17. #47
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,085

    Default

    https://twitter.com/drewjay/status/1...870333441?s=19

    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  18. #48
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    https://twitter.com/drewjay/status/1...870333441?s=19

    So the 13 scholarship players are:

    SRs- 2 (Cannon and Worthington)
    JRs - 6 (Childs, Emery, Haws, Seljaas, Hardnett and Nixon)
    SOs - 1 (Bergerson)
    FR - 4 (Harding, Baxter, Lee and Wade(who is really redshirting but will be a SO next year))

    While I am a firm believer that not many teams can make the Sweet 16 with 3 scholarship players from the 208!, BYU has 8 guys returning who have played a lot last year and BYU should be able to go 10-11 deep - I think Baxter and Harding can contribute as true FR but I am not sure about Lee but I hope he can as I don't think either Baxter or Nixon can play the 5.
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  19. #49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    So the 13 scholarship players are:

    SRs- 2 (Cannon and Worthington)
    JRs - 6 (Childs, Emery, Haws, Seljaas, Hardnett and Nixon)
    SOs - 1 (Bergerson)
    FR - 4 (Harding, Baxter, Lee and Wade(who is really redshirting but will be a SO next year))

    While I am a firm believer that not many teams can make the Sweet 16 with 3 scholarship players from the 208!, BYU has 8 guys returning who have played a lot last year and BYU should be able to go 10-11 deep - I think Baxter and Harding can contribute as true FR but I am not sure about Lee but I hope he can as I don't think either Baxter or Nixon can play the 5.
    This is the first time in five or six years that we're not essentially blowing up the roster from the previous year. We'll see if some continuity matters. I think it does. The Rose teams that went to the NCAAs six years in a row had it. These NIT teams have not. And while I understand 24 wins and NIT is a disaster season by fan expectation standards, the truth is it means we were only a couple of good wins minus a couple of bad losses from making the big dance with a decent seed. I think the improvement from last year will get us to that next level this year. I don't remember where I saw it, but I've read that some who have seen Lee working out and practicing with the team over the last several months believe he'll be a significant addition this year.
    Last edited by BlueK; 10-01-2018 at 01:19 PM.

  20. #50

    Default

    i just want Gavin Baxter's skill to catch up to his length and athleticism so he can be the hero we both need and deserve!
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

  21. #51
    Senior Member Goatnapper'96's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    God's Country!
    Posts
    9,789

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    This is the first time in five or six years that we're not essentially blowing up the roster from the previous year. We'll see if some continuity matters. I think it does. The Rose teams that went to the NCAAs six years in a row had it. These NIT teams have not. And while I understand 24 wins and NIT is a disaster season by fan expectation standards, the truth is it means we were only a couple of good wins minus a couple of bad losses from making the big dance with a decent seed. I think the improvement from last year will get us to that next level this year. I don't remember where I saw it, but I've read that some who have seen Lee working out and practicing with the team over the last several months believe he'll be a significant addition this year.
    AYNSOT208!
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

  22. #52
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,085

    Default

    The West Coast Conference TV schedule was recently released so I was just inputting the basketball schedule into my calendar (don't want to double-book). Has anyone heard of "The Valley on ESPN" before? That's the slated TV network for the game at Illinois State. The link leads to the WatchESPN interface.

    https://byucougars.com/schedule/m-basketball/2018-2019

    Regular season games with no listed TV option so far:
    Alabama A&M
    Houston
    Weber State

    Additionally, the game against UNLV is listed as either ESPNEWS or ESPN3.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  23. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    The West Coast Conference TV schedule was recently released so I was just inputting the basketball schedule into my calendar (don't want to double-book). Has anyone heard of "The Valley on ESPN" before? That's the slated TV network for the game at Illinois State. The link leads to the WatchESPN interface.

    https://byucougars.com/schedule/m-basketball/2018-2019

    Regular season games with no listed TV option so far:
    Alabama A&M
    Houston
    Weber State

    Additionally, the game against UNLV is listed as either ESPNEWS or ESPN3.
    I haven't heard of "the valley" but I'm guessing it's just a "channel" on WatchESPN.

    Also, it looks like the most likely reason they haven't announced TV for Alabama A&M and Houston yet is because the starting times for the football games on those dates (NM State and Utah) is still up in the air. They won't schedule the basketball games for the same time, so they have to see what happens with the football game times first. I would expect they'll be on BYUTV. Weber State is a road game, so not under our control.
    Last edited by BlueK; 10-09-2018 at 07:36 AM.

  24. #54
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I haven't heard of "the valley" but I'm guessing it's just a "channel" on WatchESPN.

    Also, it looks like the most likely reason they haven't announced TV for Alabama A&M and Houston yet is because the starting times for the football games on those dates (NM State and Utah) is still up in the air. They won't schedule the basketball games for the same time, so they have to see what happens with the football game times first. I would expect they'll be on BYUTV. Weber State is a road game, so not under our control.
    I wasn't suggesting that there wouldn't be TV, just noting that the network had not yet been announced. There are also a couple of other games for which the network has been announced but the time is TBA.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  25. #55

    Default

    Kolby Lee is fat that's why his foot keeps breaking.
    *Banned*

  26. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Kolby Lee is fat that's why his foot keeps breaking.
    When did he break his foot? He shouldn't be fat since he's been home since last December.

  27. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    I wasn't suggesting that there wouldn't be TV, just noting that the network had not yet been announced. There are also a couple of other games for which the network has been announced but the time is TBA.
    I can see a scenario where the Alabama A&M game doesn't make it on BYUTV. ESPN could decide to pass on the NM State game, since they've already committed to their minimum number of games. In that case it goes to BYUTV and the resources may not be available to do both games.

    For Houston I think it's probably likely it gets on BYUTV but they're just waiting for a game time from the P12 and whoever is broadcasting the game so they can plan the BYUTV pre and post game shows around it and figure out the best time for the basketball game. If the Utah football game gets scheduled for an early afternoon time or late night time it won't be hard to make the schedule work. If they get an awkward late afternoon time for the football game, who knows. Or possibly ESPN is still thinking about adding the basketball game, but that's probably less likely.
    Last edited by BlueK; 10-09-2018 at 03:13 PM.

  28. #58
    a.k.a. K-dog KillerDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,104

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Kolby Lee is fat that's why his foot keeps breaking.
    This seems correct.

  29. #59
    Bald not naked Pelado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The 208
    Posts
    10,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    This seems correct.
    Did he hurt his foot today or something?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

  30. #60
    My Mic Sounds Nice falafel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Las Wegas!
    Posts
    28,626

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pelado View Post
    Did he hurt his foot today or something?
    No, but he was fat today.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •