No announcement yet.

2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN's BPI projects BYU to go 25-6. The pre-season data-based models out there are more positive toward BYU this year than we've seen in the last several years.

https://247sports.com/college/byu/Conte ... 124167303/

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      ESPN's BPI projects BYU to go 25-6. The pre-season data-based models out there are more positive toward BYU this year than we've seen in the last several years.

https://247sports.com/college/byu/Conte ... 124167303/
      They have us at #41. Interesting. Last two seasons, we finished 82 and 80 in this. I wonder what they're seeing that makes them think we'll be better.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
        They have us at #41. Interesting. Last two seasons, we finished 82 and 80 in this. I wonder what they're seeing that makes them think we'll be better.
        Here is what their computer model looks at:

What goes into BPI?
        1. Coach’s past performance: This is captured by the coach’s average adjusted offensive and defensive rating (points per 100 possessions) since 2007-08 (including games at other schools). A first-time head coach gets a replacement-level rating.

2. Recruiting rankings: The average recruiting grade of the incoming class (compiled by 247 Sports) from four recruiting services (ESPN, Scouts, Rivals and 247 Sports). The number of five-star recruits joining a program is an additional input because of the singular impact they can have.

3. Current roster returning: The minutes played in each previous season for returning players, including transfers. Each player’s highest percentage of minutes played in a season during his career is used to help account for injuries and other setbacks.

4. Performance of those returning players: Opponent-adjusted offensive and defensive rating for returning players.

To simplify, preseason BPI asks: 1.) What percentage of minutes are returning? 2.) Are those returning minutes any good? 3) How will the team fill the non-returning minutes? 4.) What is the coach’s track record?

These preseason components hold different weights depending on how many players are returning, but they are combined in a Bayesian hierarchical model to produce a team’s preseason BPI.

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/p...e-they-derived

Current roster returning is a big one for this particular season that wouldn't have looked as favorable on the last five or six teams. Granted, that leaves the door open to the possibility this won't work for us compared to how it normally does other teams. Still, I think the objective measures should lead us to be a little more optimistic than our depressed fan base is feeling right now. And football isn't helping the overall mood.
        Last edited by BlueK; 11-05-2018, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• Can we get some nominations for basketball game thread starters? We are going to need some good mojo right from the start. Who's up for the task?
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• BYU Vs Nevada tonight.

Nevada has 13 upper classmen on the roster almost all of them are transfers. They round out the roster with three freshman. They have zero sophomores, all 3 freshman from last year left. But they did sign top 10 national recruit Jordan Brown.

They also didn't just land any run of the mill transfers. Musselman philosophy was to land the best kids from the smaller schools.

These are the transfers and their scoring averages before Nevada

Treshawn Thurman- 13.8 points, 7.8 rebounds at Omaha
            Jalen Harris- 15.3 at Louisiana Tech
            COrey Henson- 14.6 at Wagner
            Nisre Zouzoua- 20.3 at Bryant
            Caleb Martin- 11.5, 4.7 as soph at NC State
            Cody Martin- 6.8 and 4.4 as a soph at NC State
            Jojo Anderson 10.1 as a freshman at NAU
            Trey Porter- 13.2, 6.2 at Old Dominion
            Jazz Johnson- 15.8 as a sophomore at Portlant
            Jordan Caroline- 9.1 and 6.2 as a freshman at Southern Illinois

This team is loaded and BYU will have its hands full.
            *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              BYU Vs Nevada tonight.

Nevada has 13 upper classmen on the roster almost all of them are transfers. They round out the roster with three freshman. They have zero sophomores, all 3 freshman from last year left. But they did sign top 10 national recruit Jordan Brown.

They also didn't just land any run of the mill transfers. Musselman philosophy was to land the best kids from the smaller schools.

These are the transfers and their scoring averages before Nevada

Treshawn Thurman- 13.8 points, 7.8 rebounds at Omaha
              Jalen Harris- 15.3 at Louisiana Tech
              COrey Henson- 14.6 at Wagner
              Nisre Zouzoua- 20.3 at Bryant
              Caleb Martin- 11.5, 4.7 as soph at NC State
              Cody Martin- 6.8 and 4.4 as a soph at NC State
              Jojo Anderson 10.1 as a freshman at NAU
              Trey Porter- 13.2, 6.2 at Old Dominion
              Jazz Johnson- 15.8 as a sophomore at Portlant
              Jordan Caroline- 9.1 and 6.2 as a freshman at Southern Illinois

This team is loaded and BYU will have its hands full.
              It's a good thing I don't get CBSSN. I won't have to stay up late to watch this beat down.
              "Nobody listens to Turtle."
              -Turtle
              sigpic

Comment

• the martin twins and jordan caroline are no joke. after a sweet 16 run last year, they could go even deeper this year.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                  the martin twins and jordan caroline are no joke. after a sweet 16 run last year, they could go even deeper this year.
                  Add 6'11 5 star Jordan Brown to that now as well. Ugh.
                  *Banned*

Comment

• can we keep it closer than 20 pts?
                    Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      Add 6'11 5 star Jordan Brown to that now as well. Ugh.
                      yeah, that was quite a coup for Musselman.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                        can we keep it closer than 20 pts?
                        We are going to win.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Sagarin favors Nevada by 7. I wouldn't be surprised to see that. I would be surprised to see a 40 point beatdown.

Comment

Nevada didn't look good in their exhibitions, so there's that. A lot of new players to throw together despite the talent.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                              Nevada didn't look good in their exhibitions, so there's that. A lot of new players to throw together despite the talent.
                              Yep they have a lot of talent but there is only one basketball. I’m not scared.

Comment

3s in transition are the key. If we hit them we can win.

Comment

Working...
                                X