2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    If Yoeli sticks around for his senior year, Jesse Wade is almost as good as Dave Rose thinks he is and nobody gets hurt next year BYU could actually have a good team.

Why in the name of all that is holy would Yoeli go pro somewhere for next year?
    Jesse looks really good in practice. He hits a lot of shots and has very active hands.

Comment

• College basketball just seems like it would be more enjoyable to me than bouncing around the European minor leagues. In Yoeli's case I don't think finishing out his eligibility hurts him. He won't be that old since he didn't do the mission and didn't redshirt. If he comes back, both he and his wife can play out their eligibility and both get their degrees. It didn't hurt Brandon Davies' pro career to play his senior year. He's done well in Europe. I can understand leaving early for those who are NBA first round picks. Other than that select group, I don't really see the benefit.
      Last edited by BlueK; 02-19-2019, 07:25 AM.

Comment

• So am I correct that BYU is one win away from clinching the #2 seed in the conf. tourney, which earns a bye into the semi-finals? Man, what coulda been. OT losses vs. Ill. St. and UNLV and an egg at Weber St. are pretty much keeping us from being on the good side of the tourney bubble.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          So am I correct that BYU is one win away from clinching the #2 seed in the conf. tourney, which earns a bye into the semi-finals? Man, what coulda been. OT losses vs. Ill. St. and UNLV and an egg at Weber St. are pretty much keeping us from being on the good side of the tourney bubble.
          we would be in the conversation at least. This is a good site that compiles the W/L records of the top 100 or so teams on the NCAA NET ranking against the 4 quadrants.

BYU is now #75 on the NET with the following records against each quadrant. Utah is at #101, so being a neutral site game they would be a Q2 win for us by moving up one spot. If we had won those bad December games (including SDSU), we'd be 10-0 vs. Q3 and our profile would actually blend right in with what teams on the bubble have. We have a chance to pick up another Q2 win against USF.

Q1: 0-6
          Q2: 3-0
          Q3: 6-4
          Q4: 9-0

Here are TCU's numbers, currently projected as a 10 seed by Joe Lunardi:

Q1: 1-6
          Q2: 5-3
          Q3: 6-0
          Q4: 5-0

http://warrennolan.com/basketball/2019/net-nitty

Obviously we're not in the at large discussion for the NCAA tournament, but I'm curious as to how the NIT committee will look at those bad losses of ours. Since they came early in the season, I don't think they'll carry a ton of weight with them, meaning we can probably earn a pretty decent seeding if we keep winning. Plus, I wonder if they give consideration to the fact that Emery wasn't with us yet, sort of how they might look at an injury. Now that he's back it may help us.
          Last edited by BlueK; 02-19-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

• This team managed to be the first one to avoid the dreaded bad loss to a WCC team. It's not really possible anymore for that to happen in the regular season at this point, since USD doesn't qualify as one of those, being a top 100 team. In the conference tournament under the new format it doesn't look very likely we even end up playing against a lower ranked WCC opponent again. If we're the 2 seed, we go straight to the semis to most likely play the #3 seed, barring them losing in a huge upset in the previous round. Even if we were to slip all the way down to the 4 seed, which is as far down as we can go now, before Gonzaga we are likely to face USD again who probably won't lose to the 8 or 9 team.
            Last edited by BlueK; 02-19-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
              So am I correct that BYU is one win away from clinching the #2 seed in the conf. tourney, which earns a bye into the semi-finals? Man, what coulda been. OT losses vs. Ill. St. and UNLV and an egg at Weber St. are pretty much keeping us from being on the good side of the tourney bubble.
              Anyone know if D-hole is correct?
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                It's not exactly correct. But we have the advantage for sure with having one fewer loss and one fewer game remaining. We most likely eliminate USF from 2nd by beating them Thursday. If we beat USF and USD we clinch 2nd if SMC loses in their last game of the season hosting Gonzaga. And that only matters if SMC wins their other 3 remaining games leading up to it. If SMC wins out, including upsetting Gonzaga, and we go 2-1 then they tie us for 2nd and win the tiebreaker by virtue of going 1-1 vs. Gonzaga.

Currently:
                BYU 10-3
                USF 8-4
                SMC 8-4
                Last edited by BlueK; 02-19-2019, 02:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  They have to beat USF for sure. That might clinch it. But if their only win is SD, they can definitely fall below the 2 seed.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                    They have to beat USF for sure. That might clinch it. But if their only win is SD, they can definitely fall below the 2 seed.
                    Jeff Sagarin now has a "recent" rating that gives more weight to more recent results. Under that formula we're about a 7 point favorite over USF. Under his overall rating we would be favored by about 2 points. In both cases this is factoring in for home court advantage.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cbsend.htm

Comment

• Can somebody explain why the USF coach called that timeout at the end of the first half to allow Haws to get the long 3?

I don’t get it.

Comment

• BYU is looking strong so far this half.
                        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                          Can somebody explain why the USF coach called that timeout at the end of the first half to allow Haws to get the long 3?

I don’t get it.
                          I don’t get it either.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Baxter is a difference maker.

At the beginning of conference play I thought 20 regular season wins was the absolute ceiling for this team and looks like they will get there.

Comment

• Turnover city right now.
                              "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                                Can somebody explain why the USF coach called that timeout at the end of the first half to allow Haws to get the long 3?

I don’t get it.
                                Coach didn't get it either. Admitted he was kicking himself for that one.

Comment

Working...
                                X