2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post

Wasn't it the opposite? Ab-woah tipped it in at the buzzer and they called it no good. IIRC, video evidence seemed pretty inconclusive either way.
    Correct. Abouo has very dark hands and you could see a sliver of light between his hands and the ball.
    *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      Correct. Abouo has very dark hands and you could see a sliver of light between his hands and the ball.
      Harden dropped 30 points on us that day in Harden-like fashion. Over half of them came from the free throw line.

Comment

• This second half has been a turd so far. So bad.

Comment

• Good to get a win at Pepperdine; those have seemed hard to come by.
          "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            This second half has been a turd so far. So bad.
            It was a good half!
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              It was a good half!
              It didn’t start that way.

Baxter showing some signs — I liked that.

Comment

Yeah he looked great.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

This is a difference between football and basketball. The tide doesn't usually turn very much or often in football. At some point, if one team starts looking much better than the other, it is much less common to see it revert back at a later point in the game. It happens, but not nearly as often as in basketball. That's what makes following comments on fan boards during basketball games funny. The more football-centric the fanbase is, the funnier it is.

I agree it was nice to see Baxter playing like that. I don't believe he was home from the mission more than a couple of months or so when the season started and it seemed like his timing and other things was just off at first. Last night he seemed to be a lot more comfortable with his game and he looked good. Substitute his time last night with Nixon. Do we still hold on to win? A little bit of a scary thought. That said, I don't like to bash players, but we guys like Baxter to make a difference.
                  Last edited by BlueK; 01-22-2019, 10:09 AM.

Comment

• Who will be rising and shouting at San Francisco tonight?
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• So I started watching late - the DVR was recording the wrong channel. As soon as I started watching, the Don's go on a 16-0 run to take a 14-point lead which they maintained through to the half. Haws had a few buckets in the last five minutes but both the offense and defense have been pretty bad overall.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• 2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Dons’ plan was simple. They trapped Yoeli early and often at the high post. It gummed up the works and resulted in several dry spells on offense when the perimeter shots stopped dropping. USF made a bunch of true junk shots (like real garbage stuff—off-hand banking runners, etc.) that won’t fall in Provo, but overall I’d say that team is better than BYU. I think we’re playing for 4th place in this conference right now.
                        Last edited by Donuthole; 01-19-2019, 10:06 PM.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Dons’ plan was simple. They trapped Yoeli early and often at the high post. It gummed up the works and resulted in several dry spells on offense when the perimeter shots stopped dropping. USF made a bunch of true junk shots (like real garbage stuff—off-hand banking runners, etc.) that won’t fall in Provo, but overall I’d say that team is better than BYU. I think we’re playing for 4th place in this conference right now.
                          This is the perfect summary of that game. USF is not a good 3pt shooting team, but against BYU they were lights out and a lot of those shots they missed so bad they went in. Yo was taken out of the game in the first half by that trap. Once USF trapped, BYU did not know what to do. I actually felt like we missed Hardnett, he can't shoot but he can get to the rim. USF doesn't have any shot blockers and I think he would have done well against them.

All of these blowouts we battle back in the second half only to run out of gas without ever completing the comeback. The first 5 minutes of the second half was the best basketball we have played all season. Great defensive energy, Yo was dominating the post, Cannon hit a few wide open threes. Then we remembered who we were, a mediocre team that will most likely finish 4-5th in the WCC.
                          *Banned*

Comment

• This team has talent issues, but the mental/confidence issues are worse, IMO. USF is a good team that right now is NCAA bubble level, with St. Mary's not far below that. It's not surprising that BYU would lose to them on the road, but the way they did it is what is much more alarming. BYU is actually good enough to be competitive with those two, but something goes wrong at some point in the game and they fall apart.

I do think there is a chance of beating SMC at home tonight where BYU plays a lot better. What I want to see from them from here on out, which I think is possible, is to get one of three at home against SMC, Gonzaga and USF, and then beat everyone else. That gives us 11-5 in the conference and at worst ties for third, I think. Post season possibilities we deal with when we get there.

Why I think this is reasonable to set as a goal/expectation is because Pacific and Pepperdine we beat on the road already and they are not really any more beatable than USD or LMU, both of whom lost to Pepperdine already. USD also lost to Santa Clara. Granted, I know our history of dropping some of those. This is just stating what I want to see from this team which it is actually capable of doing.
                            Last edited by BlueK; 01-24-2019, 01:16 PM.

Comment

• TJ jacking up 28 ft 3s with 18 on the shot clock and a tenuous lead. Brilliant.
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

TJ jacking up 28 ft 3s with 18 on the shot clock and a tenuous lead. Brilliant.
                                His James Hardin impression needs to stop too.

Comment

Working...
                                X