• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
    Baxter with more flashes. Exciting.
    I like him.

Comment

• Baxter and Emery both played very well tonight. And good thing since everyone else was struggling. Glad to see Baxter progressing. Didn't see him play much for a long stretch of games, so was concerned he was injured or something. Nice to see there's another way to score when teams commit two defenders to Yoeli. Also, very pleased with Baxter's progress on defense. For the most part, he was able to block and defend without fouling.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        Anybody started over Luke Worthington. I say that was the right call.

Discuss.
        FIFY.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          Baxter and Emery both played very well tonight. And good thing since everyone else was struggling. Glad to see Baxter progressing. Didn't see him play much for a long stretch of games, so was concerned he was injured or something. Nice to see there's another way to score when teams commit two defenders to Yoeli. Also, very pleased with Baxter's progress on defense. For the most part, he was able to block and defend without fouling.
          According to the numbers (KenPom), LMU is actually a pretty good defensive team, ranking 3rd among WCC teams behind only Gonzaga and USF, and 80th nationally. They had what should have been an effective strategy against BYU by smothering Childs with double teams made even more effective by the fact they play a 7-3 guy. Yoeli did a good job with it, being patient and not forcing up shots while double-teamed -- he only took 7 shots. What caught LMU completely by surprise was Baxter taking full advantage of those double teams on Yoeli. If he's been able to turn the corner now from earlier in the season when he was getting into playing shape and still getting used to playing basketball again it makes BYU a completely different team to have to prepare against. Hopefully this will also help Emery with his confidence. Funny that his 5/5 from three made the entire team shoot a respectable 37% as a team even though almost everyone else was cold again from there.
          Last edited by BlueK; 02-04-2019, 06:58 AM.

Comment

• With the next two games coming against last place Portland and second to last place Pacific, BYU has a good chance to strengthen their current second place in the standings and put some pressure on USF and SMC who both play at Gonzaga this week. USF plays at the Zags on Thursday while SMC goes there on Saturday. If all goes as expected, by next week BYU will still have 3 conference losses and 2 more wins, but USF and SMC will both probably have 4 losses each.
            Last edited by BlueK; 02-07-2019, 06:56 AM.

Comment

• Just for fun I looked at how BYU's games stack up into the quadrants the NCAA selection committee now uses. No surprise that they are 0-6 in quad 1 games, but I was surprised to see BYU is currently 3-0 vs. Quad 2, with the opportunity to pick up 2 more of those in the regular season (at USD and USF at home). Unfortunately the record vs. Quad 3 is only 3-4, with 8-0 against Quad 4. All the Quad 3 losses were in that bad stretch in December (Illinois State, Weber State, UNLV and SDSU) SDSU if they win a few good ones down the stretch still has a shot at becoming a Quad 2 game. Take those 4 Q3 losses away and BYU would actually still be in the NCAA bubble conversation.

I know, this of course means nothing for the NCAA tournament unless we win the conference tournament. For the NIT, given that it's owned by the NCAA and uses more or less the same criteria, if we close out strong I think we still do have a shot at an invitation and a decent seeding. And not that I think we should be thrilled in any year about going to the NIT, I am glad we are playing better than we were as Baxter has emerged and Emery seems now to be able to contribute in a meaningful way. With those two playing well I think we're a much better team than a month ago.

Comment

• Started off the game with some poor 3-point shooting (as usual). Nobody was attacking the rim, either.

Baxter delivered some really nice passes to Harding- one for a 3, another for a layup. He also displayed good patience and control when getting the ball down low, resulting in some scores. He's made some good progress since the beginning of the season.

Nice run with 5ish minutes remaining to take the lead and push it to double figures toward the end of the game.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  Started off the game with some poor 3-point shooting (as usual). Nobody was attacking the rim, either.

Baxter delivered some really nice passes to Harding- one for a 3, another for a layup. He also displayed good patience and control when getting the ball down low, resulting in some scores. He's made some good progress since the beginning of the season.

Nice run with 5ish minutes remaining to take the lead and push it to double figures toward the end of the game.
                  More Harding, less Za Lay House please.
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• That was an ugly win. Offense was sloppy and lazy. Just when you think the team has turned the corner. Sheesh.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Still waiting for the bad conference loss this season and I thought last night was going to be it.

These USD games and USF at home are going to be big for how I feel about the season. If BYU wins out (except for Gonzaga two more times) and goes to the NIT then that’s not that bad of a year.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                        Still waiting for the bad conference loss this season and I thought last night was going to be it.

These USD games and USF at home are going to be big for how I feel about the season. If BYU wins out (except for Gonzaga two more times) and goes to the NIT then that’s not that bad of a year.
                        Yeah, the bad losses came in the out of conference schedule. They have played much better as of late, but still looked sucky on Saturday. Hopefully they will look more like the team that played at Portland.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                          Yeah, the bad losses came in the out of conference schedule. They have played much better as of late, but still looked sucky on Saturday. Hopefully they will look more like the team that played at Portland.
                          Portland is getting worse by the minute. It will be surprising if Terry Porter can survive this.

Comment

• Tomorrow's game is hugely important...well, as hugely important as it can be by this season's standards.

Comment

• a NIT berth is on the line.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                                a NIT berth is on the line.
                                We need to get at least that. Next year is on the line as well, IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X