No announcement yet.

2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• byu lacks good players. emery is no world beater, but he is a pretty good player. that alone makes a big difference. i hope they don't wait too long to put him in the starting lineup. don't worry about hurting anybody's feelings.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      byu lacks good players. emery is no world beater, but he is a pretty good player. that alone makes a big difference. i hope they don't wait too long to put him in the starting lineup. don't worry about hurting anybody's feelings.
      Yes, but they were capable of playing better than they have been, as we saw last night. A lot of it seemed to be mental, which just having Emery back and playing well seemed to lift everyone's confidence. Harding was also pretty darn good last night.

We should have lost by 4 points last night, even with home court factored in, according to Sagarin. That's how we and USU had been playing. With how things were going, no one here would have been surprised by a result like that, even with Emery. But we won by 15. That's a pretty big difference that even Emery's physical talent doesn't fully account for. Hopefully last night helps kick them up to a higher level.
      Last edited by BlueK; 12-06-2018, 06:57 AM.

Comment

• Team looked a lot better last night. Haws is getting more consistent. Emery doesn't appear to be too rusty. I'd like to see Hardnett dropped from the rotation. Embracing small ball with a lineup of Haws, Emery, Seljaas, Harding, Childs with Nixon getting the MVP minutes off the bench probably is our best look. Might be enough to make a push for second in the conference with St Mary's down and maybe pushing bubble team status by the end of the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
          That’s not what I see.
          I understand, but that doesn't change the fact that Haws is on record as stating he didn't see eye to eye with Schroyer last season and that overall, since his arrival in the program he and BYU have underperformed. We can argue that's due to coaching, but at some point we have to look at the players failure to execute what they have been coached to do. Considering Rose's success over many years, the problem does not lie with the coaching.

Over three seasons, on multiple occasions, from my perspective, I have seen Rose deliberately sit Haws due to his selfish play. It happened recently at Illinois State during a key stretch. Last night, for the first time this season Haws finally played up to his potential and showed real leadership as a captain. He played within the offense and picked the right moments to be ball dominant, and the tug-a-war between him and Hardnett didn't manifest.

Maybe, or likely that's due to the arrival of Emery, but it also fits a pattern we have seen every season with Haws on the squad: BYU comes out of the gate looking good, they play well for a couple of games but begin to fall apart and suffer a humiliating loss to a lessor squad.

Both Haws and Harndett are ball dominant players. Objectively, of the two, I want Haws to be the only ball dominant player on the floor. Last night it looked to me like Haws decided (partly coaching) to settle the on-floor battle with Hardnett by choosing to play better off the ball and by picking his spots to be ball dominant. He was fantastic. As a result, Hardnett's ineffective ball dominant play was exposed. Emery came in the game and showed him he is expendable, and Hardnett adjusted his play.

All that started and ended with Haws.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
            I understand, but that doesn't change the fact that Haws is on record as stating he didn't see eye to eye with Schroyer last season and that overall, since his arrival in the program he and BYU have underperformed. We can argue that's due to coaching, but at some point we have to look at the players failure to execute what they have been coached to do. Considering Rose's success over many years, the problem does not lie with the coaching.

Over three seasons, on multiple occasions, from my perspective, I have seen Rose deliberately sit Haws due to his selfish play. It happened recently at Illinois State during a key stretch. Last night, for the first time this season Haws finally played up to his potential and showed real leadership as a captain. He played within the offense and picked the right moments to be ball dominant, and the tug-a-war between him and Hardnett didn't manifest.

Maybe, or likely that's due to the arrival of Emery, but it also fits a pattern we have seen every season with Haws on the squad: BYU comes out of the gate looking good, they play well for a couple of games but begin to fall apart and suffer a humiliating loss to a lessor squad.

Both Haws and Harndett are ball dominant players. Objectively, of the two, I want Haws to be the only ball dominant player on the floor. Last night it looked to me like Haws decided (partly coaching) to settle the on-floor battle with Hardnett by choosing to play better off the ball and by picking his spots to be ball dominant. He was fantastic. As a result, Hardnett's ineffective ball dominant play was exposed. Emery came in the game and showed him he is expendable, and Hardnett adjusted his play.

All that started and ended with Haws.
            That's quite a leap of logic.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
              Team looked a lot better last night. Haws is getting more consistent. Emery doesn't appear to be too rusty. I'd like to see Hardnett dropped from the rotation. Embracing small ball with a lineup of Haws, Emery, Seljaas, Harding, Childs with Nixon getting the MVP minutes off the bench probably is our best look. Might be enough to make a push for second in the conference with St Mary's down and maybe pushing bubble team status by the end of the year.
              i agree with everything there, but i think hardnett deserves meaningful minutes. wouldn't mind seeing his minutes cut and/or dropped from the starting lineup - in fact, i'd like to see both happen - but i think on this team he should be in the rotation.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                Team looked a lot better last night. Haws is getting more consistent. Emery doesn't appear to be too rusty. I'd like to see Hardnett dropped from the rotation. Embracing small ball with a lineup of Haws, Emery, Seljaas, Harding, Childs with Nixon getting the MVP minutes off the bench probably is our best look. Might be enough to make a push for second in the conference with St Mary's down and maybe pushing bubble team status by the end of the year.
                Seljaas was terrible last night.

USF looking good this year. USD beat SDSU yesterday. Would be funny if SMC has a down year and we take 3rd again.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• It’s amazing what having one more good shooter can do for a team. I still really like Harding and think he has as high of a ceiling as maybe Tyler Haws. He has the size and skill to be a really good big guard.
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    It’s amazing what having one more good shooter can do for a team. I still really like Harding and think he has as high of a ceiling as maybe Tyler Haws. He has the size and skill to be a really good big guard.
                    I don't see him becoming the all-time leading scorer.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                      No, probably not. But as a level of player in general maybe. Harding could exceed him in some areas. Tyler was maybe the best pure shooter we've ever had. But holding the record for points doesn't make him the best overall player ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                        i will fight whoever tries to argue SCcoug isn't bold.
                        I'm like LeBron James.
                        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          That's quite a leap of logic.
                          https://www.heraldextra.com/sports/c...604104962.html

The numbers
                          In nearly every way, Rose’s 13-year record tops the 13 years prior to his tenure.
                          Wins: 329-123 record (.728) for Rose, 223-175 (.560) before.
                          Home record: 187-23 (.890) for Rose, 144-76 (.760) before.
                          Conference titles: 4 for Rose, 2 before.
                          Post-season appearances: 13 for Rose (8 NCAA, 5 NIT), 8 before (5 NCAA, 3 NIT).
                          Post-season victories: 10 for Rose (4 NCAA, 6 NIT), 5 before (1 NCAA, 4 NIT).
                          He also has a remarkable winning record against his in-state rivals ... There is no reason to think about chasing him off at this point.
                          Last edited by tooblue; 12-06-2018, 10:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                            https://www.heraldextra.com/sports/c...604104962.html

He also has a remarkable winning record against his in-state rivals ... There is no reason to think about chasing him off at this point.
                            He has had success, therefore any current problems are due to players, not coaching. Got it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              He has had success, therefore any current problems are due to players, not coaching. Got it.
                              Ahh, when presented with logic in comes captain zero sum ... lol. By all means chase him off then, but be careful what you wish for.

Look, I have been highly critical of his recruiting—he needs to stop only recruiting entitled Utah County players and get back to bringing in some of the gems he has brought in the past.

Comment

• I actually think for the first time this season, Nixon did about 1/4th of what TooBlue claims he does every game.

He kind of stuffed the stat sheet, and made all the little hustle plays.
                                *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                                X