2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
    Any recap of the tipoff game last night? I missed it. CB is all down on the team after last night. Topper is especially suicidal.
    It's available on the BYUtv Roku app and probably other platforms too.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
      Any recap of the tipoff game last night? I missed it. CB is all down on the team after last night. Topper is especially suicidal.
      I watched some of the second half in between watching Raptors v Celtics and Jazz v Warriors (I text with my bro. when I can during Jazz games—he's a half-season ticket holder). It's hard to gauge much from a glorified practice game, but two things I noted is it's a shame Jesse Wade isn't available this season. He would be an upgrade from and take Cannon's minutes, while pushing for some of Emery's and Hardnett's minutes. Secondly, Haws is a black hole, and is simply not good enough to demand the ball in his hands as much as he does.

Otherwise, looks like another third place finish in the WCC for the Cougs.
      Last edited by tooblue; 10-20-2018, 06:42 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
        I watched some of the second half in between watching Raptors v Celtics and Jazz v Warriors (I text with my bro. when I can during Jazz games—he's a half-season ticket holder). It's hard to gauge much from a glorified practice game, but two things I noted is it's a shame Jesse Wade isn't available this season. He would be an upgrade from and take Cannon's minutes, while pushing for some of Emery's and Hardnett's minutes. Secondly, Haws is a black hole, and is simply not good enough to demand the ball in his hands as much as he does.

Otherwise, looks like another third place finish in the WCC for the Cougs.
        St. Mary's was only about 7-8 players deep last year in terms of minutes and 6 of them are gone. As good as they were hyped, they didn't make the NCAAs last year either. In terms of final season outcomes they turned out to essentially be barely better than us and we beat them when it really counted in the conference tournament, which is what knocked them out of the NCAAs. They lost almost all their production from last year. We have almost everyone back plus a few who have some talent, albeit just off missions. The last time SMC went through a transition like that they took a step or two back, which are the years we finished ahead of them. And at least one of those teams still had Where's Waldow on it (remember the mouth guard chucking?) I don't think we'll be third this year, and I think there's a good chance we make the tournament and they don't. Gonzaga of course is probably not realistically catchable. They're a top 5 team. I don't care as much about that as about making the NCAA tournament. I think we should get past the small conference mentality that the conference standings are more important than the post-season.

As far as individuals go, Cannon didn't have a very good night. Emery was rusty, at least with his shooting. I think both of them will have better nights. I don't think Cannon will be someone who will be out there a ton, but I do think he'll give some good backup minutes.

Haws' line: 6/12, 4-8 from 3, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 16 points. The numbers don't say he had a terrible game.

Wade: 4-5, 1-2, 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 9 points
        I think he did look good and would be a great addition this year if he were eligible.

Hardnett: 6/10, 2/5, 4 rebounds 6 assists, 3 steals, 18 points
        He didn't even look like the same player to me. If he plays like that he has made real improvement that will help the team. I thought he also played within himself and within the game. Seemed to see the game well and make good decisions.

Nixon also had a pretty nice game.

Seljaas looked closer to his freshman form than last year, which is very good news.

Childs: 16-24, 3-5, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, zero turnovers, 35 points
        Childs looked insanely good, which of course in our pessimistic collective BYU fan base chronic low self esteem syndrome we're of course finiding something bad about it. He will be tough to play against for almost any defense he plays against.

Overall there were too many turnovers.

Only Emery and Cannon had bad shooting nights. Overall, our 3 point shooting was not in the same league as the last two years where it was a serious weakness. Across both teams 3pt shooting was 38/88 - 43%. Subtract the two worst, Emery and Cannon, and it goes to 37/78 - 49%. Of course Emery's and Cannon's numbers count, but my point is that everyone else had a good shooting night from there to end up with that 43%, which is excellent. We will be tough to defend if that shot is back and if lots of players can make it. This is way better than the dump it inside and everyone else stand around and watch offense of the last two years.

In a related thought, the three point shot has transformed the college game especially. You have to have it now or you're at a severe disadvantage against a team that is good at it. This is why I think this team has the potential to be significantly better, to the tune of making the important tournament again.

Consider the simple example:

Team A is a lot like BYU of the last two years. Say they take 10 shots, making 5 of them (50%). They're 5/7 from 2 and 0-3 from three = 10 points.

Team B doesn't have a great inside game but in general they can light it up from outside. They also take 10 shots. Tonight they actually have an off-night from outside. They go 3/9 from three (33%) and 1-1 from 2.

Team B wins 11-10.
        Last edited by BlueK; 10-20-2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
          St. Mary's was only about 7-8 players deep last year in terms of minutes and 6 of them are gone. As good as they were hyped, they didn't make the NCAAs last year either. In terms of final season outcomes they turned out to essentially be barely better than us and we beat them when it really counted in the conference tournament, which is what knocked them out of the NCAAs. They lost almost all their production from last year. We have almost everyone back plus a few who have some talent, albeit just off missions. The last time SMC went through a transition like that they took a step or two back, which are the years we finished ahead of them. And at least one of those teams still had Where's Waldow on it (remember the mouth guard chucking?) I don't think we'll be third this year, and I think there's a good chance we make the tournament and they don't. Gonzaga of course is probably not realistically catchable. They're a top 5 team. I don't care as much about that as about making the NCAA tournament. I think we should get past the small conference mentality that the conference standings are more important than the post-season.

As far as individuals go, Cannon didn't have a very good night. Emery was rusty, at least with his shooting. I think both of them will have better nights. I don't think Cannon will be someone who will be out there a ton, but I do think he'll give some good backup minutes.

Haws' line: 6/12, 4-8 from 3, 9 rebounds, 3 assists, 16 points. The numbers don't say he had a terrible game.

Wade: 4-5, 1-2, 2 rebounds, 0 assists, 9 points
          I think he did look good and would be a great addition this year if he were eligible.

Hardnett: 6/10, 2/5, 4 rebounds 6 assists, 3 steals, 18 points
          He didn't even look like the same player to me. If he plays like that he has made real improvement that will help the team. I thought he also played within himself and within the game. Seemed to see the game well and make good decisions.

Nixon also had a pretty nice game.

Seljaas looked closer to his freshman form than last year, which is very good news.

Childs: 16-24, 3-5, 9 rebounds, 2 assists, zero turnovers, 35 points
          Childs looked insanely good, which of course in our pessimistic collective BYU fan base chronic low self esteem syndrome we're of course finiding something bad about it. He will be tough to play against for almost any defense he plays against.

Overall there were too many turnovers.

Only Emery and Cannon had bad shooting nights. Overall, our 3 point shooting was not in the same league as the last two years where it was a serious weakness. Across both teams 3pt shooting was 38/88 - 43%. Subtract the two worst, Emery and Cannon, and it goes to 37/78 - 49%. Of course Emery's and Cannon's numbers count, but my point is that everyone else had a good shooting night from there to end up with that 43%, which is excellent. We will be tough to defend if that shot is back and if lots of players can make it. This is way better than the dump it inside and everyone else stand around and watch offense of the last two years.
          I like your optimism. I hope the three point shooting is much improved—it's hard to gauge whether or not it is from an inter-squad game. Hardnett did look good and Emery's play is understandable. Wade just looked very capable and comfortable on both sides of the floor. I think all the new faces are a mixed bag. Bergeson should earn some minutes. The team lacks size, but I think they will scrap and fight for rebounds, but ultimately, overall I'm just not convinced this team can grad hold of second place and make the tournament.
          Last edited by tooblue; 10-21-2018, 05:26 PM.

Comment

I like your optimism. I hope the three point shooting is much improved—it's hard to gauge whether or not it is from an inter-squad game. Hardnett did look good and Emery's play is understandable. Wade just looked very capable and comfortable on both sides of the floor. I think all the new faces are a mixed bag. Bergeson should earn some minutes. The team lacks size, but I think they will scrap and fight for rebounds, but ultimately, overall I'm just not convinced this team can grad hold of second place and make the tournament.
            It looks like a barely NIT team to me. Not enough production and probably poor defense will hold it back.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• childs certainly wasn't shy.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

Comment

• I'm not sure anyone can really extrapolate much from an intrasquad scrimmage. If we looked amazing we'd be saying to pump the brakes, it was just a scrimmage.

I think this team will be more fun to watch than last year's team. I think they will also be incredibly frustrating to watch at times. And the fact remains that the Zags are far and away the best team and the rest of the conference sucks. I think SMC takes a step back this year as well. So there is a chance we aren't 3rd in the league. Yay.
                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                -Turtle
                sigpic

Comment

• One line for each player based on last nights pre-season game:

Hardnett ... Going to have a good year, but will it be a big year?
                  Haws ... the Black Hole; making the NCAA tournament depends primarily on him
                  Seljass ... the x-factor that will determine BYU's place in the WCC
                  Worthington ... five fouls
                  Childs ... BYU's Best player; automatic double team
                  Nixon ... still MVP
                  Bergersen ... awkwardly athletic; coaches don't know exactly what to do with him
                  Cannon ... scrapper
                  Baxter ... Raaaaw; doesn't make me miss Dastrup as much
                  Harding ... still on his mission
                  Emery ... potential spark plug—at least he better be!
                  The rest ... a mixed bag
                  Last edited by tooblue; 10-25-2018, 05:21 AM.

Comment

• Nixon MVP. Lol.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Nixon MVP. Lol.
                      You understand that a difference can be made between best player(s) and most valuable player right? How well did they play last season when he was out? How well do you think they will do this season if they lose him for an extended stretch? He does all the little things and is always in the right place at the right time.

Comment

You understand that a difference can be made between best player(s) and most valuable player right? How well did they play last season when he was out? How well do you think they will do this season if they lose him for an extended stretch? He does all the little things and is always in the right place at the right time.
                        Lol
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          Lol
                          So, in football who would you say is/are your most valuable player(s)? I'd say it's the offensive line, and anchoring that line is the centre—you know, the guy we take for granted that he's always going to snap the ball well, make his block and even get to the second level to take on a backer all season long, because, frankly, we can take him for granted. That's Nixon on this basketball team.

Comment

So, in football who would you say is/are your most valuable player(s)? I'd say it's the offensive line, and anchoring that line is the centre—you know, the guy we take for granted that he's always going to snap the ball well, make his block and even get to the second level to take on a backer all season long, because, frankly, we can take him for granted. That's Nixon on this basketball team.
                            Lol
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

Comment

One line for each player based on last nights pre-season game:

Hardnett ... Going to have a good year, but will it be a big year?
                              Haws ... the Black Hole; making the NCAA tournament depends primarily on him
                              Seljass ... the x-factor that will determine BYU's place in the WCC
                              Worthington ... five fouls
                              Childs ... BYU's Best player; automatic double team
                              Nixon ... still MVP
                              Bergersen ... awkwardly athletic; coaches don't know exactly what to do with him
                              Cannon ... scrapper
                              Baxter ... Raaaaw; doesn't make me miss Dastrup as much
                              Harding ... still on his mission
                              Emery ... potential spark plug—at least he better be!
                              The rest ... a mixed bag
                              Haws had 7 assists last night which was the most on the team. Not bad for not being the true point all night and not what I'd call a black hole.

Harding had a pretty good night for being his first game: 4 assists. Got a steal. 7 points in 19 minutes.

Cannon gave some good minutes, and his shooting was better than at the scrimmage but only played 14 minutes total.

Worthington had 2 fouls. He picked both of them up very early, sat out the rest of the half, and then played only 12 minutes total. Didn't need him as much against that team, I guess.

In general, the younger and newer guys played pretty well (Bergersen, Baxter, Harding). I'm hoping we get to see Lee pretty soon.

Overall as a team they had 15 steals. That's pretty dang good. Maybe St. Martin's was just too slow. It will be interesting to see how that might apply to D1 opponents.

Comment

6 pts, 3 reb's a game, playing about half a game minute wise. 24% three point shooting. Feet too slow to guard any position but the 5, but he blocks fewer shots per minute than everyone on the team but Hardnett. But OK, MVP.

Comment

Working...
                                X