2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    I spend every game hoping tooblue's MVP picks up fouls so he will go to the bench.
    So we can get more Worthington?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

I spend every game hoping tooblue's MVP picks up fouls so he will go to the bench.
      He was terrible last night.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        He was terrible last night.
        He was almost as bad as Haws playing half as many minutes!

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          So we can get more Worthington?
          At the very least I don't have to worry about Luke pump faking and passing up wide open shots.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

Comment

• I like Harding and hope he comes along nicely this year. He’s big for a guard but has nice touch. Gives me a bit of a Tyler Haws vibe.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• With the exception of Childs, our bigs were terrible last night. This team better learn how to sink their threes soon.
              One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
              SU

Comment

• Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                With the exception of Childs, our bigs were terrible last night. This team better learn how to sink their threes soon.
                with exception of Childs "our" bigs ARE terrible.
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

Dalton Nixon is garbage.

He is shooting 12% from three and under 40% from the floor. Other than his 3pt attempts (which are less than 25% of his total shots) everything is at the rim. He can't make a layup to save his life. He leads the team in fouls and he is second in turnovers. Yet only averages 17 minutes per night. And for those who say he fills the box score and does the little things, he has 1 steal and 1 block on the season, not to mention 5th on the team in rebounding.

Still not sure what he does well. He is a smaller version of Luke.

This teams best lineup by far is Yo, Gavin Baxter, Harding, TJ and Hardnett.

I think we will start seeing that lineup more and more as the season progresses. Seljaas is a one trick pony who is down to 36% from three which actually leads the team.

Yo 14 boards per game is very impressive, but its also out of necessity with this team.
                  *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    Dalton Nixon is garbage.

He is shooting 12% from three and under 40% from the floor. Other than his 3pt attempts (which are less than 25% of his total shots) everything is at the rim. He can't make a layup to save his life. He leads the team in fouls and he is second in turnovers. Yet only averages 17 minutes per night. And for those who say he fills the box score and does the little things, he has 1 steal and 1 block on the season, not to mention 5th on the team in rebounding.

I think we will start seeing that lineup more and more as the season progresses. Seljaas is a one trick pony who is down to 36% from three which actually leads the team.

Yo 14 boards per game is very impressive, but its also out of necessity with this team.
                    Lots of deficiencies, so it will be interesting to see what Rose can do with this team. I like the three freshman, in Harding, Baxter and Lee as each shows promise. BYU will never be big time but it is amazing how large the talent gap is between BYU an those above it.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Dalton Nixon is garbage.

I concur.
                      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Dalton Nixon is garbage.

So, wait leading the team in fouls is a bad thing? If it's Worthington, then yes it's a bad thing because Worthington tries to be a bully, but he's not even good at that and he ends up taking stupid fouls. But in the case of Nixon, defensively he's often in the right place at the right time or making the hustle play and the fouls come because of his willingness to do the dirty work. We want Nixon to pick up the fouls he does, instead of Childs, because Childs is the leading scoring on the team and needs to be on the floor scoring.

Speaking of scoring, don't we want Nixon passing up shots and playing unselfishly in favour of supposedly better offensive players? Absolutely we do, especially if he's giving it up to Childs and Hardnett. The real problem with scoring on this team is Nixon is also giving the ball up to Haws and Seljass, who are not scoring with any consistency, so maybe Nixon needs to be more selfish ... or, preferably, Haws and in particular Seljass need to start scoring consistently.

Nixon actually finishes at the rim quite efficiently, and he is a threat at the three point line, but again do we want Nixon acting as the third primary scorer on this team? No. He is left best continuing to play his role at 15 - 20 minutes a game, which allows Baxter to play roughly the same amount of minutes and gain experience, minimizing the deficiencies in Baxter's game, namely the fact that he can't score unless it's a dunk, and if left on the floor for an extended amount of time he would foul out at a Worthington pace or worse.

The line-up and minute distribution we are currently seeing is BYU's best option until we we see what Emery brings to the floor. The one immediate change that could help with the scoring is to potentially increase Hardings minutes over Seljass.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                          So, wait leading the team in fouls is a bad thing? If it's Worthington, then yes it's a bad thing because Worthington tries to be a bully, but he's not even good at that and he ends up taking stupid fouls. But in the case of Nixon, defensively he's often in the right place at the right time or making the hustle play and the fouls come because of his willingness to do the dirty work. We want Nixon to pick up the fouls he does, instead of Childs, because Childs is the leading scoring on the team and needs to be on the floor scoring.

Speaking of scoring, don't we want Nixon passing up shots and playing unselfishly in favour of supposedly better offensive players? Absolutely we do, especially if he's giving it up to Childs and Hardnett. The real problem with scoring on this team is Nixon is also giving the ball up to Haws and Seljass, who are not scoring with any consistency, so maybe Nixon needs to be more selfish ... or, preferably, Haws and in particular Seljass need to start scoring consistently.

Nixon actually finishes at the rim quite efficiently, and he is a threat at the three point line, but again do we want Nixon acting as the third primary scorer on this team? No. He is left best continuing to play his role at 15 - 20 minutes a game, which allows Baxter to play roughly the same amount of minutes and gain experience, minimizing the deficiencies in Baxter's game, namely the fact that he can't score unless it's a dunk, and if left on the floor for an extended amount of time he would foul out at a Worthington pace or worse.

The line-up and minute distribution we are currently seeing is BYU's best option until we we see what Emery brings to the floor. The one immediate change that could help with the scoring is to potentially increase Hardings minutes over Seljass.
                          Leading the team in fouls while playing only 17 minutes, tells me he can’t guard anyone.

Also you must not have read my post, you really think Nixon is a good finisher around the rim? I’m glad you saw his two and ones the other night and determined that.

Nixon is 10-25 shooting on the year for 40%. He is 1-8 from 3. Let’s take the threes out, now he is 9-17 from the floor. He has yet to shoot any sort of midrange jumper this season which means he is 9-17 finishing around the rim.

Maybe in Canada that’s good, but not here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          *Banned*

Comment

• yes, tooblue, leading the team in fouls when you only play 17 minutes is a bad thing. if fouls were a good thing, i could play D1 basketball and be useful. i promise i could enter a game and foul people - though i bet i could average 5 per game.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

Comment

Leading the team in fouls while playing only 17 minutes, tells me he can’t guard anyone.

Also you must not have read my post, you really think Nixon is a good finisher around the rim? I’m glad you saw his two and ones the other night and determined that.

Nixon is 10-25 shooting on the year for 40%. He is 1-8 from 3. Let’s take the threes out, now he is 9-17 from the floor. He has yet to shoot any sort of midrange jumper this season which means he is 9-17 finishing around the rim.

Maybe in Canada that’s good, but not here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Ha ha great burn ... lol ... if you were posting on cougarboard.

Again, I ask the question: do you expect Nixon to be a legit third scoring option on this team? If so, then your numbers (only thrown out to bolster a weak argument) matter.

If Nixon is not expected to be a legit third scoring option, because there are supposedly better options (Haws and Seljass), then Nixon is unselfishly playing his role, and doing the little things and dirty work that help protect BYU's leading scorers.

I guess dominating the ball, taking bad shots, or too many three's without actually hitting many of them is good in Utah Valley, but in the WCC it leads to finishing in third place year after year.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                yes, tooblue, leading the team in fouls when you only play 17 minutes is a bad thing. if fouls were a good thing, i could play D1 basketball and be useful. i promise i could enter a game and foul people - though i bet i could average 5 per game.
                                It's not a bad thing when you are consistently asked to guard players bigger than you so as to help protect your teams leading scorer from picking up those same fouls. Players have five fouls for a reason, but that's the least stupid thing about junkie's or others observations: the problem is wanting Nixon to be a scorer.

Would we even care how many shots Nixon takes and makes or doesn't make if there was a consistent and legitimate third scorer on the floor each night?

Comment

Working...
                                X