2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
    It's not a bad thing when you are consistently asked to guard players bigger than you so as to help protect your teams leading scorer from picking up those same fouls. Players have five fouls for a reason, but that's the least stupid thing about junkie's or others observations: the problem is wanting Nixon to be a scorer.

Would we even care how many shots Nixon takes and makes or doesn't make if there was a consistent and legitimate third scorer on the floor each night?
    I don’t want Nixon to be a scorer. I don’t even want Nixon on the floor, ever. You said he was great around the rim. I was telling you the stats say different.

Nixon is garbage. I don’t want him to be the third scorer but if he is going to start, I expect him to have the ability to make a layup.
    *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
      Lots of deficiencies, so it will be interesting to see what Rose can do with this team. I like the three freshman, in Harding, Baxter and Lee as each shows promise. BYU will never be big time but it is amazing how large the talent gap is between BYU an those above it.
      Agree on Harding and Baxter. Disagree about Lee. He reminds me of the lumbering big man BYU always gets who plays well below the rim. Hope it’s just small sample size or mission legs or some other such reason we find to not lose hope on certain players.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
        I don’t want Nixon to be a scorer. I don’t even want Nixon on the floor, ever. You said he was great around the rim. I was telling you the stats say different.

Nixon is garbage. I don’t want him to be the third scorer but if he is going to start, I expect him to have the ability to make a layup.
        I said he is efficient around the rim, and that the value he adds to the team is not measured in stats, especially considering the fact he is being asked to guard larger players. There is no other player on the roster willing or capable of doing what he does. Dastrup (with a better upside) would be starting and getting Nixon's minutes if he had been willing to play that role.

By the way, I'm not the only one who feels this way about Nixon. Sports writers, who watch more basketball and have far greater access to the team (practices, coaches etc.) like him for the same reasons:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...l-program.html

Comment

• Originally posted by HBCoug View Post
          Agree on Harding and Baxter. Disagree about Lee. He reminds me of the lumbering big man BYU always gets who plays well below the rim. Hope it’s just small sample size or mission legs or some other such reason we find to not lose hope on certain players.
          I had low expectations for Lee, so anything he does makes me smile. He has a better shooting touch than Luke and doesn't seem as clumsy. I could see him being a poor man's Jake Schoff.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I said he is efficient around the rim, and that the value he adds to the team is not measured in stats, especially considering the fact he is being asked to guard larger players. There is no other player on the roster willing or capable of doing what he does. Dastrup (with a better upside) would be starting and getting Nixon's minutes if he had been willing to play that role.

By the way, I'm not the only one who feels this way about Nixon. Sports writers, who watch more basketball and have far greater access to the team (practices, coaches etc.) like him for the same reasons:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...l-program.html
            Lol did you really use an article from Jeff Call as evidence? Sportswriters love him because they loved his dad.

Again what little things is he doing? He is not a good defender, he has 1 block and 1 steal. He has probably been on the floor more than any other player so I guess you can count that as a positive stat.

He is not efficient around the rim. (40% from the floor sucks for a big man)

He can't shoot the 3 (12% if you are scoring at home still)

Baxter is a better option in that role.
            *Banned*

Comment

Lol did you really use an article from Jeff Call as evidence? Sportswriters love him because they loved his dad.

Again what little things is he doing? He is not a good defender, he has 1 block and 1 steal. He has probably been on the floor more than any other player so I guess you can count that as a positive stat.

He is not efficient around the rim. (40% from the floor sucks for a big man)

He can't shoot the 3 (12% if you are scoring at home still)

Baxter is a better option in that role.
              1. Harmon must love his his father too lol:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-WCC-play.html

2. The little things: he is always in the right spot defensively, he boxes out occupying his guy under the rim, he plays within the offense, always making the right cut at the right time, he is often the only BYU player on the floor fighting for another possession.

3. You have said you don't want him to shoot, but all you can bring up are his cherry picked offensive stats ... contradicting yourself isn't helping your argument.

4. Dave Rose doesn't agree with you about Baxter.

Comment

1. Harmon must love his his father too lol:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-WCC-play.html

2. The little things: he is always in the right spot defensively, he boxes out occupying his guy under the rim, he plays within the offense, always making the right cut at the right time, he is often the only BYU player on the floor fighting for another possession.

3. You have said you don't want him to shoot, but all you can bring up are his cherry picked offensive stats ... contradicting yourself isn't helping your argument.

4. Dave Rose doesn't agree with you about Baxter.
                Nixon just got blocked at the rim. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                *Banned*

Comment

Nixon just got blocked at the rim. Weird.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Headed to Stake Conference ... but that sounds like you are watching a basketball game where stuff like that happens ... good thing he’s not BYU’s third primary scorer

Comment

• I left early but I didn’t see Baxter on the floor at all while I was there tonight, even after it was already garbage time.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                      I left early but I didn’t see Baxter on the floor at all while I was there tonight, even after it was already garbage time.
                      He was hurt. Held out. Should be back for the next game.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        I left early but I didn’t see Baxter on the floor at all while I was there tonight, even after it was already garbage time.
                        Gavin has a concussion. I don’t get the anti-Nixon thing. I think you said he was 9-17 from 2. That seems OK for an undersized 4 but I will acknowledge my bias. I really like the Nixons a lot. The whole family seems great. I also thought Ray would pass Zach but it looks like Connor is the threat there.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                          Gavin has a concussion. I don’t get the anti-Nixon thing. I think you said he was 9-17 from 2. That seems OK for an undersized 4 but I will acknowledge my bias. I really like the Nixons a lot. The whole family seems great. I also thought Ray would pass Zach but it looks like Connor is the threat there.
                          interesting. i get why you don't get the anti-nixon thing.

i should clarify, i am most definitely not anti-Nixon. i hope someday he is better than his dad was at BYU. but at this point in his career, he just isn't that good and it's hilarious that tooblue thinks he's the mvp.
                          Last edited by smokymountainrain; 11-19-2018, 06:35 AM.
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            interesting. i get why you don't get the anti-nixon thing.

i should clarify, i am most definitely not anti-Nixon. i hope someday he is better than his dad was at BYU. but at this point in his career, he just isn't that good and it's hilarious that tooblue thinks he's the mvp.
                            Hilarious only if you are are literalist. As I have stated he is an unheralded MVP. Through his hustle and basketball IQ, Nixon gets this team three or four extra possessions a game. Through his hustle he is always in position to set a pick, or slash to the basket at the right time within the offense. Through his hustle and basketball IQ he is always there providing help defense. Through his hustle and toughness he is able to guard players taller than him, and take fouls that would otherwise go to your leading scorer, or in other words the guy who will likely be awarded the MVP.

Nixon is a glue guy. When they didn't have him for that long stretch last season the team suffered because no other player was able or willing to step up and fill the role he does. Baxter certainly has the greater upside, but as of right now he is not ready to play more. 15 - 20 minutes a game for Nixon sounds about right. If he has to play more than that, BYU is in real trouble this season.
                            Last edited by tooblue; 11-19-2018, 07:34 AM.

Comment

His parents are great people. He seems like a nice kid. That Orem High team he was on was super unlikable and he developed a reputation for being slow, lazy, overrated. I'm trying to like him now that he's a Cougar.

Comment

I think folks don't like Nixon because he isn't great. Right now he is the best option to play alongside Yoeli as our 2nd "big" but that role for him is likely only going to exist as long as it takes Baxter to get some experience and develop. I don't know how long it will take but likely Baxter's minutes will likely continue to increase as time goes by.

I would think that both Harding and Baxter will be starters next year even if everyone returns- which is doubtful unfortunately as I think BYU could be a legitimately good team next year if Yoeli doesn't bolt. A starting 5 of Yoeli, Baxter, Connor, TJ and Hardnett with Emery, Seljaas, Nixon and Lee coming off the bench would be a really good BYU hoops team.
                                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Working...
                                X