Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Television Networks and College Football

https://www.cornnation.com/2018/4/12...ig-ten-network

Someone will pick it up...but at what cost?

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

What? They don't have AT&T DirecTV in B1G country? Of course, you would have to give up the Pac 12 network but that is a sacrifice I would be willing to make.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post

Sounds like they will still offer BTN inside the Big Ten's footprint. So if you're in Utah, say goodbye.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
        Sounds like they will still offer BTN inside the Big Ten's footprint. So if you're in Utah, say goodbye.
        Where are you seeing that? The article seemed to indicate that Comcast dropping B10N wouldn't impact local Nebraska fans as much since Comcast doesn't have much of a presence there. But I don't see how you could read this passage without concluding that the Big 10 footprint will definitely be affected:

While this may not be a huge blow for the fans back in Lincoln and Omaha who mainly deal with Cox and Spectrum as their cable providers, it affects the rest of the Big Ten in a large way. Many Nebraska graduates who live in Chicago have Comcast, along with those residing in other midwestern states such as Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, etc. Losing access to Big Ten Network would be a blow for not only the football team, but also other sports such as volleyball, and basketball.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          Where are you seeing that? The article seemed to indicate that Comcast dropping B10N wouldn't impact local Nebraska fans as much since Comcast doesn't have much of a presence there. But I don't see how you could read this passage without concluding that the Big 10 footprint will definitely be affected:
          Its in the UPDATE: section.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Its in the UPDATE: section.

Gotcha, thanks.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

So you are telling me I"ll have to drive to B1G country to watch Illinois play Rutgers in football?
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

So Nebraska is not in the Big 10

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

https://www.yahoo.com/amphtml/sports...mpression=true

“BTN is now facing our biggest challenge since the launch of the network,” Silverman said at Big Ten Media Days in Chicago. “Our 10-year agreement with Comcast expires at the end of August. A few months ago, BTN was removed from out-of-market cable systems on Comcast, which is the leading cable provider in the country. … It’s extremely concerning.”

Comcast isn’t just the No. 1 cable provider in the country; it’s No. 1 in the 11 Big Ten states – five of those (Pennsylvania, Illinois, Ohio, Michigan and New Jersey) rank in the top 11 nationally and have a combined population alone of 56.1 million. If the channel stops being carried, not only will fewer fans be able to watch games through cable television, a lot fewer dollars will come into the Big Ten.

And if Comcast can do this with the Big Ten, then why not the SEC and others?
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

The real question is when are the leagues (or individual teams) going to turn to Twitter, Facebook and Netflix ... and also come to the realization that only those teams that have a broad enough appeal, beyond their local media footprint, will draw eyeballs? Teams like Illinois, Kansas, Rutgers and Utah etc. in your league are simply dead weight.
                    Last edited by tooblue; 07-24-2018, 07:20 PM.

Comment

You know who carries the Big Ten network on their basic tiers? Hulu Live TV and Youtube TV. Both cost $40. If you pay $5 more than the basic tier on Playstation Vue, it's also available there. My hatred of Comcast remains to this day after The Mtn debacle. I hope every Big Ten fan affected by this (I'm unclear whether it also affects the customers in the Big 10 footprint) cuts the cable with Comcast and goes streaming or to satellite.
                      Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Saw this and lol'd. As the author admits, the last part of his plan is a hot mess, but it's an 'interesting' idea:

https://www.seccountry.com/sec/the-m...ouve-ever-seen

Quick highlights:

1. Build a 16-team super conference.
                        2. Build two more 16-team super conferences (includes BYU and Utah)
                        3. Install a relegation system (and a Big Dance).

Maybe it's just crazy enough to work ...

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                          Saw this and lol'd. As the author admits, the last part of his plan is a hot mess, but it's an 'interesting' idea:

Quick highlights:

That is pretty crazy but I like it.
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by tooblue View Post

Quick highlights:

I'm still waiting to find out that our program is NOT on life support.

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                              I'm still waiting to find out that our program is NOT on life support.
                              NOT on life support!

Honestly, after last season, I didn't know what to expect. The so called experts who attended our practices talked about the glaring gap in talent on our team compared to P5 teams. I wonder how much money this one win against Wisconsin is worth to the program in future tv contracts? Also, how far does it go in helping us into the P5 in the next round of realignment?

Comment

Working...
                              X