No announcement yet.

General Conference / Easter 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just tried to log in to the church web site.

It says: "You have said that you are no longer a member of the Church."

Does this mean that I am actually still a member despite what I have said? Please help.

Comment

• I mentioned before that my wife is taking a religion class at BYU. Today the instructor said that he spent quite a bit of time with DHO about ten years ago. At the time, DHO told him "If I ever get to be king for a day, the first thing I would do is eliminate home teaching. It is terribly inefficient and we could do so much better." If that is true, then God bless Pres. Nelson for selecting him as part of the First Presidency.

It is funny how things often work out much more differently than you expect. I would never have guessed that DHO would promote such a change. I also expected to RMN to coast. Ha!
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I mentioned before that my wife is taking a religion class at BYU. Today the instructor said that he spent quite a bit of time with DHO about ten years ago. At the time, DHO told him "If I ever get to be king for a day, the first thing I would do is eliminate home teaching. It is terribly inefficient and we could do so much better." If that is true, then God bless Pres. Nelson for selecting him as part of the First Presidency.

It is funny how things often work out much more differently than you expect. I would never have guessed that DHO would promote such a change. I also expected to RMN to coast. Ha!
        Wait, so is DHO king now?
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
          Wait, so is DHO king now?
          Close enough!
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
            No kidding. Where has mpfunk been on this?
            CS ——><—— Walter
            A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• So, to what extent is ministering supposed to be conducted as a companionship? I’ve never had too difficult of a time building relationships with the people I home taught (when I was active), but I was frequently assigned a companion that was something of a deadbeat and I felt an obligation to try to involve them somehow. Home teaching would have been so much easier if I could have just done if by myself.

With the monthly meeting with a prepared lesson a thing of the past, to what extent are companionships even necessary? If I’m texting or emailing a member I’m assigned to minister, is it enough to just copy my companion? What obligation do I have to try to motivate my companion to minister with me?

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                So, to what extent is ministering supposed to be conducted as a companionship? I’ve never had too difficult of a time building relationships with the people I home taught (when I was active), but I was frequently assigned a companion that was something of a deadbeat and I felt an obligation to try to involve them somehow. Home teaching would have been so much easier if I could have just done if by myself.

With the monthly meeting with a prepared lesson a thing of the past, to what extent are companionships even necessary? If I’m texting or emailing a member I’m assigned to minister, is it enough to just copy my companion? What obligation do I have to try to motivate my companion to minister with me?
                Don't worry about an "obligation" to anyone. Just serve your people.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
                  I just tried to log in to the church web site.

Does this mean that I am actually still a member despite what I have said? Please help.
                  I think it means that you are no longer a member of the Church.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

So, to what extent is ministering supposed to be conducted as a companionship? I’ve never had too difficult of a time building relationships with the people I home taught (when I was active), but I was frequently assigned a companion that was something of a deadbeat and I felt an obligation to try to involve them somehow. Home teaching would have been so much easier if I could have just done if by myself.

This is a great point. Certainly when ministering to single sisters, a companionship is necessary for much of the contact. I would prefer a husband/wife companionship in those cases. Also, having a companionship has value in the way that two eyes are better than one. I'm frequently out of town, and am glad that I have a companion who can look out for our families while I'm gone. Also, where many elders won't take the initiative to minister to their families, it's important to get *everyone assigned someone who will actually minister. They are typically paired up with those who won't do that on their own.

*Everyone needs someone who loves and cares for them, and someone they feel like they can reach out to for help if they need it.
                    Last edited by Bo Diddley; 04-03-2018, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I kind of view this new ministering thing as guilt-free home teaching. No need for home visits and lessons. Just be friends with your ministering-ees. Invite them over for some ribs and to watch the Cowboys game or maybe for poker night. If your companion is something of a deadbeat then be sure to not invite him... he is most likely an Eagles fan anyway.
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        I kind of view this new ministering thing as guilt-free home teaching. No need for home visits and lessons. Just be friends with your ministering-ees. Invite them over for some ribs and to watch the Cowboys game or maybe for poker night. If your companion is something of a deadbeat then be sure to not invite him... he is most likely an Eagles fan anyway.
                        I’m on board for that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                          Bingo. Find something that works for you and your families.

Comment

You chose to leave; we didn't kick you out.

Comment

These are not the actions of someone who says they are no longer a member of the Church.
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Makes me wonder if swinging counts...or maybe that is consensual immorality so while it technically counts, it’s a net negative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Working...
                                X