General Conference / Easter 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hey bm tel us abt the underwear u have on rn bb
    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 04-01-2018, 05:37 PM.
    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Lol @ anyone taking the bait right now.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
        So you're telling me that they just changed the name of home teaching and visiting teaching to ministering, but the program remains the same? Is that what you're saying?

And you're telling me that the Church did not drop its official sponsorship of scouting?

Even the Church's own propaganda arm is saying that the programs have been retired and replaced with a "concept" rather than a program:

LDS Church retires home and visiting teaching programs, replaced by a 'ministering' concept

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...g-concept.html
        The overarching goal - leading souls to Christ- is the same as it's always been. How we reach that goal - tending to the members' needs - is still the same. The only thing that has changed is that instead of focusing on What we are doing- visiting members every month - we now refocus on the How, and let the members work out for themselves what they need to do to tend to the needs of others.

And yes, I am absolutely denying that the church has dropped its sponsorship of Scouting.

Comment

• I realize that some of you think I'm just trolling, but I'm not.

I'm posing an honest question: What's behind the changes?

Sometimes changes are just changes, but I think there are some very good reasons for these particular changes. I have my own hypotheses. A simple explanation would be: The Church had data suggesting that home teaching and visiting teaching were ineffective. Another plausible explanation might be: The home teaching program would put adult men alone with a minor--and the Church had to settle lawsuit(s) of some sort.

Kind of like how it's obvious why the Church was lobbying the Utah state government to change the law so that 2-party consent would be required for audio recordings--right after that audio recording of Joseph Bishop was given to the Church.

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            Hmm did I miss something? Was somebody mean to SIEQ?

I’m sure nobody here would want cougarstadium.com to stand in the way of your next adventure.
            I'm generally stick to lurking in these religion threads, but I'm not sure what happened to SIEQ either.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
              The overarching goal - leading souls to Christ- is the same as it's always been. How we reach that goal - tending to the members' needs - is still the same. The only thing that has changed is that instead of focusing on What we are doing- visiting members every month - we now refocus on the How, and let the members work out for themselves what they need to do to tend to the needs of others.
              Besides the obvious name change, which is intended to better describe what is being asked of ward member, the change is intended to be more flexible in order to meet the needs of ward members. It seems to formalize the new paradigm that Elder Holland taught in conference 18 months ago. We've been teaching this in our EQ ever since. We've asked our elders to formally ask the people they home teach what they're expecting from the home teachers. Do they want visits? How often? What kind of contact do they need? And each month, we simply ask how home teaching is going, never even referencing in home visits for the month. The most important thing to us is that the members feel loved and cared for, and that they have someone they could reach out to if they needed to. Some families will need more contact, and some less.

Now there's not even a place to enter monthly visits...well, I presume, since I can't get in and see it. They're updating the module this year, and I think there will be some sort of quarterly accounting that is entered to match the quarterly interview with the ministers. Mia Maids and Laurels can now go out with the RS sisters. It has been reemphasized that couples could be assigned, where appropriate.

Comment

• Would be kind of funny if Pres. Nelson held a press conference tomorrow and said, "April fools! We aren't dropping home and visiting teaching."
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
                  What do you think the real reason is that they got rid of this program?
                  I'll bite.

The program is still there, the administration of it changed. Why the change? Because year after year, decade after decade the leadership in stakes throughout the church beat up the brethren for the lack of stats that don't mean anything. And the needle never moved. Somebody realized the guilt trip isn't helping anyone. I pray the same person takes on the missionary program next.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Would be kind of funny if Pres. Nelson held a press conference tomorrow and said, "April fools! We aren't dropping home and visiting teaching."
                    That would be pretty funny.

My Father in Law is gonna be even more jacked up. He still calls them Ward Teachers.

Maybe SIEQ is leaving because he misses Harry Tic, like all of us do.
                    "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                    -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                      That would be pretty funny.

My Father in Law is gonna be even more jacked up. He still calls them Ward Teachers.

Maybe SIEQ is leaving because he misses Harry Tic, like all of us do.
                      Harry Tic recently announced he is leaving Facebook forever. I am guessing he is going to hole up in a cabin in Montana somewhere. Maybe start working on a manifesto.

Comment

Would be kind of funny if Pres. Nelson held a press conference tomorrow and said, "April fools! We aren't dropping home and visiting teaching."

Funny joke but you are 5 hours late on it
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• By “funny” I meant “horrible”

Comment

By “funny” I meant “horrible”
                            But if he did pull that April fools prank and bring back Home Teaching, I can't help but think it would signal the end of the beginning of the end.

Comment

Harry Tic recently announced he is leaving Facebook forever. I am guessing he is going to hole up in a cabin in Montana somewhere. Maybe start working on a manifesto.
                              harry tic was good poaster
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• What gives with Dieter Uchtdorf being regulated to Sunday Afternoon Session.

He is by far the best speaker and many connect to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X