General Conference / Easter 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    As a missionary in Guatemala - they ignored General Conference all together. We'd read the talks in the Ensign the next month, but the general membership - I'm not even sure they knew it was going on. The AP's new someone with satellite in their ward - so the AP's got to watch. But I don't think anyone else ever did.

Anyway - just a curiosity. I don't know if that plays a role in their decision-making at all. After all - it's always a bad time-zone for someone somewhere, right?
    Not sure when you were there, but I saw this change a bit while I was there. I arrived in 98, and it was like you say--many didn't even realize that these talks they were getting in the Liahona twice a year were not some compilation of talks offered over that 6-month period, but were all given in a single conference weekend. By the time I left in 2000, however, the stakes in the capital were watching a session of conference for church. However, IIRC, they were doing it on tape delay about a week after general conference.

Clearly the internet has changed things, as many of my Guatemalan friend were commenting on fb throughout GC this past weekend and discussing the topics and announced changes.
    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
      I do wonder how this new ministering versus home/visiting teaching is going to function. Will companionships still get assigned families or will there be those called as "ministers" and these individuals will be assigned families/individuals to work with until leadership determines the work with those folks is done - at least by the assigned ministers? Will companionships be husband/wife or the familiar ways? We shall see where it goes from here. I get that the reporting aspect has changed significantly but really the important aspect of HT reporting is no different than what will happen going forward it will just be a quarterly report instead of monthly.
      Men will be assigned families, and women will be assigned other women, much like before. But husbands and wives will be allowed to be companions if leaderhship chooses to do it that way (please, please, please....).

They have also said that leaders should carefully select who is assigned where and put main priority on families and individuals that need the most help. This recognizes that most folks are fine with a text or chat in the foyer. This is great.

The quarterly report will be "Tell me how your families are doing". Perfect.

I couldn't be happier with this change. I have wished for something like this for years. I got in trouble with an overzealous leader a few years ago because I told him I liked to arrange BBQ's, ice cream parties, and other events with my families that built relationships instead of doing the traditional in-home visit. Vindication! I liked home teaching, but I always felt like the reporting aspect was the tail wagging the dog.

My wife is going to kill it with this new system. Her visiting teaching was always legendary. When she was assigned someone, she quite literally became their best friend. In some cases, she has almost daily contact with her people. I am praying that we can work together going forward. But either way, we are looking forward to it.

Some have complained about the "ministering" label but I have not problem with it. They needed a new name to clearly distinguish it from the old program and help get people to change the culture.

I am sure we will see a few tweaks along the way, but I think it all looks fantastic so far.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Men will be assigned families, and women will be assigned other women, much like before. But husbands and wives will be allowed to be companions if leaderhship chooses to do it that way (please, please, please....).

They have also said that leaders should carefully select who is assigned where and put main priority on families and individuals that need the most help. This recognizes that most folks are fine with a text or chat in the foyer. This is great.

I couldn't be happier with this change. I have wished for something like this for years. I got in trouble with an overzealous leader a few years ago because I told him I liked to arrange BBQ's, ice cream parties, and other events with my families that built relationships instead of doing the traditional in-home visit. Vindication! I liked home teaching, but I always felt like the reporting aspect was the tail wagging the dog.

My wife is going to kill it with this new system. Her visiting teaching was always legendary. When she was assigned someone, she quite literally became their best friend. In some cases, she has almost daily contact with her people. I am praying that we can work together going forward. But either way, we are looking forward to it.

Some have complained about the "ministering" label but I have not problem with it. They needed a new name to clearly distinguish it from the old program and help get people to change the culture.

I am sure we will see a few tweaks along the way, but I think it all looks fantastic so far.
        Doesn't seem like that big of a change but if it serves to energize people to do a better job, then it's a good thing. Also it seems to have some benefits in equalizing the men and women organization structure. So, overall it's great, I would say.

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          Not sure when you were there, but I saw this change a bit while I was there. I arrived in 98, and it was like you say--many didn't even realize that these talks they were getting in the Liahona twice a year were not some compilation of talks offered over that 6-month period, but were all given in a single conference weekend. By the time I left in 2000, however, the stakes in the capital were watching a session of conference for church. However, IIRC, they were doing it on tape delay about a week after general conference.

Clearly the internet has changed things, as many of my Guatemalan friend were commenting on fb throughout GC this past weekend and discussing the topics and announced changes.
          I was there 88-90.

Comment

• Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            Doesn't seem like that big of a change but if it serves to energize people to do a better job, then it's a good thing. Also it seems to have some benefits in equalizing the men and women organization structure. So, overall it's great, I would say.
            On the face the change doesn’t seem big. But I think the simple elimination of statistical reporting is huge. My old SP is probably going nuts with one less KPI to track. Maybe he’ll create some ministering KPI to take its place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              On the face the change doesn’t seem big. But I think the simple elimination of statistical reporting is huge. My old SP is probably going nuts with one less KPI to track. Maybe he’ll create some ministering KPI to take its place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              I agree with this. If it was being done what I believe was the correct way then this is no effective change. I do think removing the bureaucratic corporate reporting statistics is nice but that will usually appeal the most to whining pussies many of whom allowed that unappealing aspect to get in the way, and most of whom will find something else to get in the way. Stringpullers gonna pull! One aspect that I do like is I think it gives local leadership more capacity to better focus their scarce resources on the folks with the most need and where the help is welcome. However, all it will take is one seemingly stable family to cry foul that the folks who randomly take breaks from gripping the rod get all the love and attention and a weak leader who is unable to tell them to "STFU and PYSTTWAPA" (final p for push not PULL) and we will be right back to where we started with somebody keeping track of and ensuring an equal distribution of "ministering visits" because there is sorrow that the eye can't see.

In essence my opinion is while strong leadership could have and should have been doing this along the way we got too many whiners/experts on the church in Russia amongst us. I blame them.
              Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
              -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
              -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I've always struggled with home teaching, both in concept and in practice, because I felt it was an unnecessary time-killer. This has led to more than one heated debate with my Bishop/brother. I have never had a problem with home teaching people with particular needs, but I went for years without giving the First Presidency Message to most of my families. Instead, I figured I was doing my duty if I made sure I stayed in contact and aware of people's needs, letting them know I was always available if they needed something.

I love this change and think it certainly seems to align better with the Christlike service I believe we are expected to render as his disciples. What we will have to be aware of now, is people who take it too far and think greeting a person in the hallway is all that is required, which will lead to people being overlooked. It was probably happening before, so it will be nothing new, but the difference will be that people will think they are doing what is asked when they are missing the mark.

President Nelson is a take-charge man with a lot of energy, and he rocketed to rock star status in one conference. He's clearly going to look at things in terms of his vision of the big picture, which means nothing about the status quo is safe from reorganization. Like President Hinkley, he also has a comforting, endearing mannerism, which makes him easy to listen to and like.
                sigpic
                "Outlined against a blue, gray
                October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I agree with this. If it was being done what I believe was the correct way then this is no effective change. I do think removing the bureaucratic corporate reporting statistics is nice but that will usually appeal the most to whining pussies many of whom allowed that unappealing aspect to get in the way, and most of whom will find something else to get in the way. Stringpullers gonna pull! One aspect that I do like is I think it gives local leadership more capacity to better focus their scarce resources on the folks with the most need and where the help is welcome. However, all it will take is one seemingly stable family to cry foul that the folks who randomly take breaks from gripping the rod get all the love and attention and a weak leader who is unable to tell them to "STFU and PYSTTWAPA" (final p for push not PULL) and we will be right back to where we started with somebody keeping track of and ensuring an equal distribution of "ministering visits" because there is sorrow that the eye can't see.

In essence my opinion is while strong leadership could have and should have been doing this along the way we got too many whiners/experts on the church in Russia amongst us. I blame them.
                  The reporting angle is huge, but it goes well beyond that. No more emphasis on teaching a lesson - rather the focus is on service and building relationships with a ton of flexibility. That is a big deal.

This is a big win for non-bureaucratic leadership.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                    I've always struggled with home teaching, both in concept and in practice, because I felt it was an unnecessary time-killer. This has led to more than one heated debate with my Bishop/brother. I have never had a problem with home teaching people with particular needs, but I went for years without giving the First Presidency Message to most of my families. Instead, I figured I was doing my duty if I made sure I stayed in contact and aware of people's needs, letting them know I was always available if they needed something.

I love this change and think it certainly seems to align better with the Christlike service I believe we are expected to render as his disciples. What we will have to be aware of now, is people who take it too far and think greeting a person in the hallway is all that is required, which will lead to people being overlooked. It was probably happening before, so it will be nothing new, but the difference will be that people will think they are doing what is asked when they are missing the mark.

President Nelson is a take-charge man with a lot of energy, and he rocketed to rock star status in one conference. He's clearly going to look at things in terms of his vision of the big picture, which means nothing about the status quo is safe from reorganization. Like President Hinkley, he also has a comforting, endearing mannerism, which makes him easy to listen to and like.
                    Completely agree. It will require lots of adjustment. But imagine you are a priesthood leader trying to rally the troops. Now you can make a simple appeal asking folks to genuinely love and watch out for one another. This is going to be 100x easier than the old "do-your-home-teaching" lessons.

Comment

It seems like the possibility of someone wanting to come over to my home and share a Gospel message with me is diminished by the ministering program. As such, I support it.
                      As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                      --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                        It seems like the possibility of someone wanting to come over to my home and share a Gospel message with me is diminished by the ministering program. As such, I support it.
                        I will text you once a quarter: "STFUAPYSTTWAPA"

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

I will text you once a quarter: "STFUAPYSTTWAPA"
                          I don't know what that means (except the first 4 letters). I would prefer that my quarterly text message come from the Dude.
                          As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

• Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                            I don't know what that means (except the first 4 letters). I would prefer that my quarterly text message come from the Dude.
                            As I once said your embryonic experience in the LDS Church, contrasted with what LD$ inc. provided your family, leaves you no real moral authority to whine about it like the women of Srbrnca. Put your shoulder to the wheel and push along. All that shit and a heartful of song yadda yadda....

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

As I once said your embryonic experience in the LDS Church, contrasted with what LD$ inc. provided your family, leaves you no real moral authority to whine about it like the women of Srbrnca. Put your shoulder to the wheel and push along. All that shit and a heartful of song yadda yadda....
                              I've been a member all my life, had a mother who frequently sang that song growing up and all I could think of was various iterations of "pull your s*** together".

Comment

Yeah, I hope my wife will be my "ministering" companion as well. I also like the idea of contacting families in other ways than visits at their homes. I have already thought of writing some automated scripts that would send an email to my ministering-ee's with some random message and asks how they are doing. Maybe I will change it up for other months and have the script text or post on their facebook page instead. My wife is great for the face-to-face stuff.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X