Gonzaga to MWC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gonzaga to MWC?

If there is already a thread for this, please merge.

The San Diego Union Tribune wrote a story a few weeks ago about Gonzaga having contacted the MWC about possible membership. That article had several mentions of BYU:

Thompson said BYU was not among the other schools that have contacted him about expansion, but several sources indicated that BYU — which went independent in football in 2011 and plays in the WCC in most other sports — would consider a return to the Mountain West at least in basketball if Gonzaga joins.
    Several sources said Bulldogs coach Mark Few is involved in the Mountain West discussions and intrigued by the possibility, particularly if BYU follows.
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...228-story.html

Of course, that led to Holmoe saying BYU was aware that Gonzaga had talked with the MWC, that BYU had not spoken with the MWC, and that he was surprised Craig Thompson couldn't keep his mouth shut.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...iscuss-it.html

Dave Rose was quoted as saying the following of Gonzaga's desires:

“They’ve got some issues that they’re trying to work out with this league right now, some scheduling issues that are on the table,” Rose said. “They would like to see things approved in their favor. And if not, who knows? It’s real. The Mountain West Conference doesn’t solve all of your problems. They would have been a one-bid league this year if they didn’t have an upset in their (conference) tournament.”
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...o-be-made.html

Those scheduling issues were somewhat illuminated by former Zag and current Zag radio analyst, Adam Morrison when the team came to Boise for the first weekend of the NCAA tournament:

Morrison believes the talks are legit, but also perhaps a signal to the WCC that it needs to shape up or the Zags will bolt. Among the school’s hopes are for a better share of the NCAA Tournament money, the return of the double bye in the WCC tournament (requiring just two wins to claim the title), and two fewer conference games to allow more challenging nonconference matchups.

“I think our conference is broken, but our brand isn’t,” Morrison said. “Better competition, and a shot in the arm, could come with the Mountain West. But both of those could take care of itself if the rest of the WCC took a step up.”
    http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports...205173999.html

At least in part in response to Gonzaga's MWC overtures, the WCC released the following scheduling changes that will affect both the regular season and the conference tournament:

...beginning with the 2018-19 season, the West Coast Conference men’s basketball season will consist of 16 regular season games (eight home, eight away). Every institution will play seven WCC institutions twice, while playing one member at home and another away – based on approved criteria. Additionally, starting with the 2019-20 season, WCC men’s basketball programs will be required to compete in a multi-team event (MTE) each season, annually play more home games than away games, and schedule and play no more than two non-Division I opponents per season. In addition, the Conference must approve all “guarantee” games in which a WCC member is paid by an opponent to play at the opponent’s venue.

Also beginning next season, the men’s and women’s championship format will change, whereby seeds 7-10 will compete in the opening round, seeds 5-6 will first participate in the second round, seeds 3-4 will first participate in the third round, and the top two seeds will play their first game in the semifinal round.
    The approved changes also modify the revenue distribution models within the conference:

...the Men’s Basketball Enhancement Plan also includes changes to NCAA academic-based revenue distribution, men’s basketball unit revenue distribution, as well as an adjustment to the licensing of future Conference broadcast rights.
    http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-ba...032618aaa.html

Will the changes be enough to placate Gonzaga? Thompson seemed to indicate that there was a lot that would have to happen that hasn't happened yet in order for Gonzaga to switch conferences in time for next season:

"We would need to have some serious, detailed conversations which have not happened to date.
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...ext-two-weeks/

But the latest San Diego Union Tribune article indicates that discussions are moving along:

The Union-Tribune first reported Feb. 28 that the Mountain West had held discussions with Gonzaga about a possible move, perhaps as early as next season. Sources have confirmed since then that talks have progressed, so much that they have even involved where to park the Gonzaga men’s soccer team next season.
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...326-story.html

So what's going to happen with Gonzaga?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

they gone
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

with the concessions from the wcc i think they stay.
      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        they gone
        Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
        with the concessions from the wcc i think they stay.
        I guess that about covers it.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          I guess that about covers it.
          This was discussed in more depth in another thread - I think the 2017-18 basketball thread? Or the NCAA thread.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            This was discussed in more depth in another thread - I think the 2017-18 basketball thread? Or the NCAA thread.
            Yes, but there have been some new developments.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
              Yes, but there have been some new developments.

Just saying. You asked, after all!
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I’m on a flight to San Antonio with Holmoe and Dave Rose, so i’ll See if I can get the scoop.
                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                  I’m on a flight to San Antonio with Holmoe and Dave Rose, so i’ll See if I can get the scoop.
                  Be sure to tell them that the Dude thinks Rose should be canned. This is your chance to make that known.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    hey maybe they hire that utsa coach that got canned

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                      hey maybe they hire that utsa coach that got canned
                      That was UTA, not SA.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                        That was UTA, not SA.
                        meh, it'a all texas.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                          That was UTA, not SA.
                          well they could rent a car

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            Be sure to tell them that the Dude thinks Rose should be canned. This is your chance to make that known.
                            If you didn’t tell them this you failed, GM.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

Comment

Please return and report.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                              X