Vietnam 50 Years Later

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vietnam 50 Years Later

The My Lai Massacre was 50 years ago this Friday. I'm interested to see how much press this anniversary gets. I doubt that very many Americans even know about it. To be honest, I can't even wrap my head around it.

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    The My Lai Massacre was 50 years ago this Friday. I'm interested to see how much press this anniversary gets. I doubt that very many Americans even know about it. To be honest, I can't even wrap my head around it.
    One of the worst things ever done by US Troops! I can understand how it could happen, but still.... I personally think Calley was a scapegoat. A whole lot more of his chain of command should have been Court Marshalled, including the division commander who covered it up.

On a more positive note, my brother recently found 2 reel to reel tapes that my father sent to us and 1 we sent to him while he was over there and had them digitized - what memories!
    Last edited by happyone; 03-12-2018, 04:15 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Originally posted by happyone View Post
      One of the worst things ever done by US Troops!
      *cough* Philippine-American War *cough*
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        *cough* Philippine-American War *cough*
        I said one of I agree the Philippines was a nasty, nasty war, but the rules of war were nowhere near as well defined as they were in Viet Nam. I'll even include the Indian Wars in my estimation. Sand Creek comes close, but I think Wounded Knee was more of a mistake than a deliberate massacre. I think the Washita was a legitimate battle.
        Last edited by happyone; 03-12-2018, 09:48 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

Working...
        X