Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: 2018 BYU Cougar Football Thread

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Wow. So you are basically saying because Davis is black, you think he has upside?

What a dumb comment.
    You definitely made a dumb comment.

Not based on race, he has NFL size, he appeared to be in good shape, and he had a good camp. He sniffed the field this season, and I had hoped he'd contribute next as a fifth year senior.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Quote Originally Posted by Green Monstah View Post
    If you were to stand next to him with Davis on one side and Austin Collie on the other and had to pick which had higher upside, you'd very likely pick Davis.

He reportedly had good camps, but just couldn't crack into the lineup.
    What does that matter? There's a point in your college career where upside stops meaning something. Also, he's been in the program for 4 years. 3 OCs and 3 WR coaches have had eyes on him and he can't get on the field.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle

Quote Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
    What does that matter? There's a point in your college career where upside stops meaning something. Also, he's been in the program for 4 years. 3 OCs and 3 WR coaches have had eyes on him and he can't get on the field.
    Yep. I had hoped he could turn the corner. I'm super sorry if this offends you and tweedle dum.

You definitely made a dumb comment.

Not based on race, he has NFL size, he appeared to be in good shape, and he had a good camp. He sniffed the field this season, and I had hoped he'd contribute next as a fifth year senior.
    Austin Collie is 6'1 205, Akile Davis is 6'2 205.

Again why is it obvious I am choosing Davis?
    *Banned*

Yep. I had hoped he could turn the corner. I'm super sorry if this offends you and tweedle dum.
    Offend me? He can't get on the field over a couple of true freshmen, not to mention Hifo and Pau'u, all who are returning next year. I'm certain we will be able to replace his production. We should be thanking him for freeing up a scholarship. I would cut every 5th year senior not in the 2 deep.
    -Turtle

Duh. He is an inch taller.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Sorry, I meant Dylan, but I have a fondness for the name Austin, and I guess I just typed it.

Offend me? He can't get on the field over a couple of true freshmen, not to mention Hifo and Pau'u, all who are returning next year. I'm certain we will be able to replace his production. We should be thanking him for freeing up a scholarship. I would cut every 5th year senior not in the 2 deep.
    Yeah, I just had high hopes for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Duh. He is an inch taller.
    Well I was wrong anyways.

According to BYUs website Austin Collie is 6'2 206 and Akile is 6'2 205. Collie wins!
    *Banned*

Sorry, I meant Dylan, but I have a fondness for the name Austin, and I guess I just typed it.
    I am honestly curious where the high hopes for Akile came from. I mean that sincerely.

He had 20 receptions for 286 yards his senior year of high school.

He was a marginal 2 star recruit

He had 3 total offers with North Texas being the best besides BYU

Bronco actually thought he was so bad he made a comment about guys not redshirting and "moving them through the program" Akile was part of that group and blew his entire freshman season playing 3 snaps against Wagner

His first 3 seasons at BYU he totaled 1 reception for 9 yards

This past season when he was allegedly doing good things in practice, he had 4 receptions for 47 yards.

He has occupied a scholarship for 4 years with zero production. But you expected him to break out next season?
    *Banned*

I am honestly curious where the high hopes for Akile came from. I mean that sincerely.

Bronco actually thought he was so bad he made a comment about guys not redshirting and "moving them through the program" Akile was part of that group and blew his entire freshman season playing 3 snaps against Wagner

This past season when he was allegedly doing good things in practice, he had 4 receptions for 47 yards.

He has occupied a scholarship for 4 years with zero production. But you expected him to break out next season?
    Correcting GM warranted your time to research all that? Or did you know it all off the top of your head?

I saw him on STs (he had decent speed) and I talked with him at a BYU event. Physically, he looks like he had the potential, but as you meticulously noted, it never panned out.

I saw him on STs (he had decent speed) and I talked with him at a BYU event. Physically, he looks like he had the potential, but as you meticulously noted, it never panned out.
    Ok that makes more sense. He was nice to you at a BYU event, you became a bit biased. Fair enough.
    *Banned*

This is not the end either, a few names to keep an eye on: Beau Hoge, Micah Simon, Riley Burt, Kavika Fonua (Most likely will medically retire), Inoke Lotulelei are among the names that could be leaving.
    Maybe Hoge can head up to Pocatello and bring those others with him, they always need help.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    Maybe Hoge can head up to Pocatello and bring those others with him, they always need help.
    That's where a lot of people think Kirby is headed. He could probably benefit from the academic expectations up there.
    -Turtle

That's where a lot of people think Kirby is headed. He could probably benefit from the academic expectations up there.
    People on this board feel BSU is an academic wasteland, ISU takes it to a whole new level. They have a good coach down there and it's a program doing better, probably would be a good place for some of them.

Quote Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
    People on this board feel BSU is an academic wasteland, ISU takes it to a whole new level. They have a good coach down there and it's a program doing better, probably would be a good place for some of them.
    Oh I know. People's went from ineligible with 0.8 GPA at BYU to being a two time academic all conference at ISU. And that was while selling drugs too!
    -Turtle

He had more offers than that. Maryland, Indiana and SDSU were some of the others.
    "Just watched the speech. He lit up both sides. I loved it." -Shaka