2018 BYU Cougar Football Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
    It looks like Ula Tolutau is off the team. That's to bad, that kid was a hard runner and i thought the best back they had last year.
    I looked through the official roster online at BYUCougars and both he and Tuakafua are listed on the roster. Where they never removed from the online site or are they back with the team? Anyone know? Anyone care or with Trump as President is there no reason to go on living?
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
      I looked through the official roster online at BYUCougars and both he and Tuakafua are listed on the roster. Where they never removed from the online site or are they back with the team? Anyone know? Anyone care or with Trump as President is there no reason to go on living?
      I think they both have a path back to school for fall, but word on the street is that Ula got crosswise with the HCO over a non-frisbee issue.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        I think they both have a path back to school for fall, but word on the street is that Ula got crosswise with the HCO over a non-frisbee issue.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s_zsOyHbVY

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
        -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

WAY too much football talk for a political message board.

Comment

Originally posted by Applejack View Post
            WAY too much football talk for a political message board.
            Sad part is as far as I can tell we have yet to reconcile the official word that these two woefully misunderstood young men, who just happen to victims of a cultural bias, were no longer on the team but yet their names still appear on the official roster. Were their names never removed from the official roster? Is it all just FAKE NEWS?

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

Apparently that roster was never updated.

-DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, fall camp started today ... how does the team look ... are the locker rooms clean? Where's all the buzz—I thought this was a sports message board?
                Last edited by tooblue; 08-02-2018, 04:50 PM.

Comment

https://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/cbs-poll

CBS has us ranked between UAB and Rutgers. Sadly, that could be considered a generous ranking.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post

CBS has us ranked between UAB and Rutgers. Sadly, that could be considered a generous ranking.
                    but still 11 spots higher than where our previous coach's team is. Wow.

I don't think we'll we that bad. I think we had more talent last year than we showed on offense and the new staff has a much broader base of experience than last year's. Tough schedule, but going 6-6 gets you into the top 60 anyway.

Comment

So - BYU comes in at #88? Just as a reference - including the teams BYU plays this year:

#36 Arizona
                      #50 Cal
                      #5 Wisconsin
                      ***McNeese (ranked #17 FCS by Athlon)
                      #6 Washington
                      #77 USU
                      #122 Hawai'i
                      #67 Northern Illinois
                      #21 BSU
                      #116 UMass
                      #99 New Mexico St
                      #27 Utah

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                        but still 11 spots higher than where our previous coach's team is. Wow.

I don't think we'll we that bad. I think we had more talent last year than we showed on offense and the new staff has a much broader base of experience than last year's. Tough schedule, but going 6-6 gets you into the top 60 anyway.
                        This offensive staff is definitely more experienced. It's easy to believe that last year's staff didn't/couldn't make the most out of the talent on hand. Hoping the new staff can.

Originally posted by Eddie View Post
                        So - BYU comes in at #88? Just as a reference - including the teams BYU plays this year:

#36 Arizona
                        #50 Cal
                        #5 Wisconsin
                        ***McNeese (ranked #17 FCS by Athlon)
                        #6 Washington
                        #77 USU
                        #122 Hawai'i
                        #67 Northern Illinois
                        #21 BSU
                        #116 UMass
                        #99 New Mexico St
                        #27 Utah
                        Only three FBS opponents ranked lower. And at least one of them beat us last year.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

If we can manage to beat Arizona in the first game then that will be a fairly reliable sign that the season will be much better than last year.

Granted, in the days following the initial euphoria of the win there will be a backlash of posts on cougarboard about how horrible Arizona must be, as that would be the only possible explanation for that result.

Seriously, Arizona represents the kind of team a decent to good BYU team would and has beaten in past seasons. If the offense has turned things around I think it could be an enjoyable season. It's still a tough schedule, but 7-8 wins would be good for the program given the disaster from last year.
                          Last edited by BlueK; 08-10-2018, 07:01 AM.

Comment

This offensive staff is definitely more experienced. It's easy to believe that last year's staff didn't/couldn't make the most out of the talent on hand. Hoping the new staff can.

Only three FBS opponents ranked lower. And at least one of them beat us last year.
                            If the offense plays to its talent level I don't think we shouldn't beat at least six teams on the schedule: McNeese, N. Illinois, UMass, N. Mexico St., Hawaii, USU. Then beyond that, Cal and Arizona are also winnable. I like the KSL article below.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46373446&nid=272
                            Last edited by BlueK; 08-10-2018, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                              If the offense plays to its talent level I don't think we shouldn't beat at least six teams on the schedule: McNeese, N. Illinois, UMass, N. Mexico St., Hawaii, USU. Then beyond that, Cal and Arizona are also winnable. I like the KSL article below.

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46373446&nid=272
                              To me, that's the story of the season. There are six teams we as a program have no business losing to; last year, we lost several such games. If we can take care of business and pick up those six, that's a bowl game, and a sign that the program is back on track, or at least ahead of the non-P5 pack. If we can't pick those up, something is still broken and needs to be fixed. From there, we have two and maybe three games we could lose even in our best years. Then there are another three or four that ought to be fair fights; if we are where we want to be as a program, we should be picking up a few of those. If we can't pick up any, that's a sign we are still behind the P5 pack, and still precariously straddling the divide between P5 and G5.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                To me, that's the story of the season. There are six teams we as a program have no business losing to; last year, we lost several such games. If we can take care of business and pick up those six, that's a bowl game, and a sign that the program is back on track, or at least ahead of the non-P5 pack. If we can't pick those up, something is still broken and needs to be fixed. From there, we have two and maybe three games we could lose even in our best years. Then there are another three or four that ought to be fair fights; if we are where we want to be as a program, we should be picking up a few of those. If we can't pick up any, that's a sign we are still behind the P5 pack, and still precariously straddling the divide between P5 and G5.
                                yup, I agree. I like what I've read so far about the progress of the team in practice, especially the offense, but it's impossible to know for sure until we see them play.

Comment

Working...
                                X