Le tour 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by creekster View Post
    Sure. It was the washing. And the drugs. They helped, too.
    Yeah, I think he and the interviewer skipped over that part. Still, it was interesting to hear how many things a team manager has to address.

Comment

Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Yeah, I think he and the interviewer skipped over that part. Still, it was interesting to hear how many things a team manager has to address.
      I was kidding and I shouldn’t be so cynical. But I remember bruyneel saying the same sorts of things about the posties and team discovery. Their success was all about attention to detail, meticulous planning and superior training.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

So the strategy to winning le tour is to disinfect everything? Yeah, they aren’t doping
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          So the strategy to winning le tour is to disinfect everything? Yeah, they aren’t doping
          I'm looking more defensive of Team Sky and GB that I intend, but the point relating to disinfecting is that it's one of dozens of small changes Brailsford sought to improve, with the collective effect of incremental improvement across the board making a substantial difference overall. If by disinfecting they prevent at least one team member from dropping out or performing poorly due to illness, they're marginally better than those who don't.

But each time doping comes up, I fondly remember sitting at a dinner in France on the eve of a major Gran Fondo (I stood next to Hinault prior to the start--not sure if I've ever mentioned that...). At the dinner I sat across from two writers for Velo News and I asked them how much doping was going on in cycling (or something similarly and clumsily worded). They gave diplomatic responses at first, but after my withering cross-examination they said that if one analyzes the time improvements over several years, the only rational way to explain the extraordinary improvement was performance-enhancing drugs. So, yes.

Comment

I'm looking more defensive of Team Sky and GB that I intend, but the point relating to disinfecting is that it's one of dozens of small changes Brailsford sought to improve, with the collective effect of incremental improvement across the board making a substantial difference overall. If by disinfecting they prevent at least one team member from dropping out or performing poorly due to illness, they're marginally better than those who don't.

But each time doping comes up, I fondly remember sitting at a dinner in France on the eve of a major Gran Fondo (I stood next to Hinault prior to the start--not sure if I've ever mentioned that...). At the dinner I sat across from two writers for Velo News and I asked them how much doping was going on in cycling (or something similarly and clumsily worded). They gave diplomatic responses at first, but after my withering cross-examination they said that if one analyzes the time improvements over several years, the only rational way to explain the extraordinary improvement was performance-enhancing drugs. So, yes.
            PAC, don’t take me so seriously...or maybe you just wanted the chance to humblenrag about standing next to the Badger.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

PAC, don’t take me so seriously...or maybe you just wanted the chance to humblenrag about standing next to the Badger.
              Ha, I take no one here seriously (!) and you're right about the brag, even though I've mentioned it countless times... The race director (the President of Look) had a picture taken of the three of us but sadly the photo has been lost. Otherwise, that would likely be my avatar; to hell with Lord Grantham.

Comment

They gave diplomatic responses at first, but after my withering cross-examination they said that if one analyzes the time improvements over several years, the only rational way to explain the extraordinary improvement was performance-enhancing drugs. So, yes.
                Take a look at this link:

http://www.stickybottle.com/blogs/cy...es-alpe-dhuez/

These are purportedly the fastest times in the history of bike racing for the ascent of Alpe d'huez. Everyone of them comes from the doping era. They start in the early 90s (this is when Lemond came back from his 2 year injury absence and said it felt like he was racing in sand compared to everyone else) and go through 2015. Thomas today rode up much slower than Pantani's time and i heard a report that his time doesn't even make the top 100 in history. Now, to be fair, Pantani's time was in a race that went from Grenoble to the Alpe, meaning there were no other climbs, and Armstrongs time was in a ITT, meaning it was the only ride of the day. Today, by contrast, Thomas went over two HC climbs before starting the Alpe.

The article I linked says that Indurain was never tainted with drug accusations, but that is not strictly true. In fact, he has been spoken of as the first one to use EPO. You may recall that in the early part of his career he was a great ITT guy but not much good in the mountains until, like Armstrong, he suddenly gained an amazing climbing ability, almost like his blood could suddenly carry more oxygen to this muscles than it did before. EPO. but nothing has been proven. Still, Big Mig comes from a good but not great career and suddenly wins five TdFs in a row and then, as suddenly, gets off his bike mid-stage and disappears from the peloton.
                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Well, could I have been more wrong about dumoulin? Let me answer that: No. I thought he would be toasted today. Instead, he almost wins the stage. Great ride. What an epic stage. Today was riveting. If you havent seen it, you should watch it. A couple of random thoughts:

Rando one: Bike racers are tough. We often make fun of them for being scrawny. And they do look like starving children from the waist up. But these guys are tough. You have Lawson Craddick who finished in the top 50 today with a broken scapula. And you have Nibali, may his tour rest in peace, who finished in fourth place on the stage after falling with just under 4k to go and cracking a vertebrae! Rather than stay on the ground, which I would have done, he gets up, mounts his bike and races to the finish almost catching the leaders! AFterwards he was diagnosed with a cracked vertebrae and he has withdrawn from the Tour. This is a shame as he looked good today and was almost in a podium spot. The real tragedy is that his fall was apparently caused by his collision with a Gendarme motorcycle. Its not clear if it was the cop's fault or what happened, but it took place right where the barriers started and the spectators, motos, cars and racers all bottle-necked. Too bad.

Rando two: The spectators are out of control. Did you see the guy who punched or slapped at Froome? It took place with about 3.9 miles left in the stage. The guys comes out from the riders' right and jabs his arm at Froome. Not good. it reminded me of the time Merckx was punched by an unhappy Frenchman. Happily, Froome was not really bothered as far as I could tell. I understand the guy was later arrested and given a stern talking to. But, in general, the race was chaotic. flares/smoke bombs (what on earth makes people think that is a good idea?) flags and banners draped across riders faces, and idots running alongside the bike rider. Worse, some of the running idiots do so in speedos. For example at about 3.6 miles to go there is some guy with nothing on but a flesh colored speedo type diaper thing running along. No one, and I mean not even this guy's wife, wants to see that. NO ONE. They should have arrested him too. Later on the stage, with around 2.5 miles to go or so, you can just catch sight of the well-behaved fans revenge, or the jerk's comeuppance. If you watch closely, you can see some yahoo running alongside the riders he runs into a Gendarme, who appears to horse collar the guy and throws him to the ground. I cheered when I saw it and replayed it a couple of times just for good measure. The thing is they need a lot more of that. Not sure why it seems to be getting worse; I blame the Russians.

Rando three: Froome might be human, after all. He tried to attack in the final kilometers today and he just . didn't . have . it. It was the patented Froome explosion at the end of a high mountain stage, where he turns into a big flying elbow and knee machine and leaves everyone behind. Except this time, he didn't. He pulled out mayb 40 or 50 meters, and then just liek that, he was reeled in. I am not sure that Thomas excepted to win this stage or that he expected to beat Froome today. But it was clear that thomas had the legs and that Froome maybe had a few too many eye-tallion climbs in his legs to keep up. Dinner at the team sky table, after a thorough scrubbing of hands, of course, should be interesting.

Rando four: Where have all the Sprinters gone? Yesterday Kittle and Cavendish and Renshaw dropped out. Today it was Groenewegen and Graviria and Greipel ands Zabel the Younger, not to mention Uran. A very tough day. There will be no one to race against Sagan in Paris.

Tomorrow the caravan heads back down the Alpe to start in Bourg d'Oisans.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Thanks for both posts and write-up (and a tip of the helmet to you for the team hygiene crack).

Comment

Thanks for both posts and write-up (and a tip of the helmet to you for the team hygiene crack).
                      Today I got a call from a friend/business associate who I havent spoken to for a while. After we finished the business part of the call she asked me if anything new was going on in my life and I told her it is July and so I am watching the tour. She hesitated and then honestly replied "I know, and I was a little reluctant to ask because last year I asked and you went off for about 20 minutes." Yikes. So I try to get it out of my system here.
                      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Today I got a call from a friend/business associate who I havent spoken to for a while. After we finished the business part of the call she asked me if anything new was going on in my life and I told her it is July and so I am watching the tour. She hesitated and then honestly replied "I know, and I was a little reluctant to ask because last year I asked and you went off for about 20 minutes." Yikes. So I try to get it out of my system here.
                        I am glad you do it here. I subscribe to your newsletter.

Comment

Well, could I have been more wrong about dumoulin? Let me answer that: No. I thought he would be toasted today. Instead, he almost wins the stage. Great ride. What an epic stage. Today was riveting. If you havent seen it, you should watch it. A couple of random thoughts:

Rando one: Bike racers are tough. We often make fun of them for being scrawny. And they do look like starving children from the waist up. But these guys are tough. You have Lawson Craddick who finished in the top 50 today with a broken scapula. And you have Nibali, may his tour rest in peace, who finished in fourth place on the stage after falling with just under 4k to go and cracking a vertebrae! Rather than stay on the ground, which I would have done, he gets up, mounts his bike and races to the finish almost catching the leaders! AFterwards he was diagnosed with a cracked vertebrae and he has withdrawn from the Tour. This is a shame as he looked good today and was almost in a podium spot. The real tragedy is that his fall was apparently caused by his collision with a Gendarme motorcycle. Its not clear if it was the cop's fault or what happened, but it took place right where the barriers started and the spectators, motos, cars and racers all bottle-necked. Too bad.

Rando two: The spectators are out of control. Did you see the guy who punched or slapped at Froome? It took place with about 3.9 miles left in the stage. The guys comes out from the riders' right and jabs his arm at Froome. Not good. it reminded me of the time Merckx was punched by an unhappy Frenchman. Happily, Froome was not really bothered as far as I could tell. I understand the guy was later arrested and given a stern talking to. But, in general, the race was chaotic. flares/smoke bombs (what on earth makes people think that is a good idea?) flags and banners draped across riders faces, and idots running alongside the bike rider. Worse, some of the running idiots do so in speedos. For example at about 3.6 miles to go there is some guy with nothing on but a flesh colored speedo type diaper thing running along. No one, and I mean not even this guy's wife, wants to see that. NO ONE. They should have arrested him too. Later on the stage, with around 2.5 miles to go or so, you can just catch sight of the well-behaved fans revenge, or the jerk's comeuppance. If you watch closely, you can see some yahoo running alongside the riders he runs into a Gendarme, who appears to horse collar the guy and throws him to the ground. I cheered when I saw it and replayed it a couple of times just for good measure. The thing is they need a lot more of that. Not sure why it seems to be getting worse; I blame the Russians.

Rando three: Froome might be human, after all. He tried to attack in the final kilometers today and he just . didn't . have . it. It was the patented Froome explosion at the end of a high mountain stage, where he turns into a big flying elbow and knee machine and leaves everyone behind. Except this time, he didn't. He pulled out mayb 40 or 50 meters, and then just liek that, he was reeled in. I am not sure that Thomas excepted to win this stage or that he expected to beat Froome today. But it was clear that thomas had the legs and that Froome maybe had a few too many eye-tallion climbs in his legs to keep up. Dinner at the team sky table, after a thorough scrubbing of hands, of course, should be interesting.

Rando four: Where have all the Sprinters gone? Yesterday Kittle and Cavendish and Renshaw dropped out. Today it was Groenewegen and Graviria and Greipel ands Zabel the Younger, not to mention Uran. A very tough day. There will be no one to race against Sagan in Paris.

Tomorrow the caravan heads back down the Alpe to start in Bourg d'Oisans.

Totally agree on the fans. It was a fun stage but the crazy fans need to be reeled in by the less crazy fans.

There is also a video of Nibali going down and it looks like some fans camera strap caught his handlebar after he tried to dodge a moto.

I was right about dumoulin :swish:

Comment

Le tour 2018

The Nibali crash really pisses me off. He finished so well that I didn’t even realize that there were bigger consequences until tonight. What a brutal race. I don’t know how these guys deal with the heartbreak when they have to pull out.

Looks like Nibali’s crash was a two-fer. Right after coming through a flare cloud (not sure where these f’ers came from but I can’t imagine what a lung full feels like when grinding up hill) he gets a camera strap over his brake hood.

Spain in July gets the Running of the bulls; France gets the Running of the bullocks. There was one guy in a very cheeky, red thong. But the even worse trend is the ones that drop back trou, exposing their bare arse and going for a jog. I was thinking that it would be beneficial to give the Motos salt guns to season these buns up. Fortunately, it seems they’ve been modest enough to keep the Col de Peyresourdes off my television screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 07-19-2018, 11:53 PM.
                            I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                              The Nibali crash really pisses me off. He finished so well that I didn’t even realize that there were bigger consequences until tonight.
                              The more I think about it, I feel the same way. I was tracking the riders live and saw a note that nibali had crashed and then saw he had a finishing time close to the lead riders. I figured they had given him their time since the note said it was a moto incident, kind of like what happened to froome on ventoux last year or the year before, whenever it was.

Come to find out, nibali got back on his bike and finished the climb with a broken vertebrae. I’m sure most of that was due to adrenaline, but still crazy. Reminds me of when contador crashed and broke his fibula only to continue for another hour or so before abandoning.

But the flags, smoke bombs and running along side riders is out of place and likely ruined what could have been an ultimate podium finish for nibali.

Still, that race was epic. I loved the point where all five lead guys were riding side by side at the top just waiting for someone to take off.

Comment

The more I think about it, I feel the same way. I was tracking the riders live and saw a note that nibali had crashed and then saw he had a finishing time close to the lead riders. I figured they had given him their time since the note said it was a moto incident, kind of like what happened to froome on ventoux last year or the year before, whenever it was.

Come to find out, nibali got back on his bike and finished the climb with a broken vertebrae. I’m sure most of that was due to adrenaline, but still crazy. Reminds me of when contador crashed and broke his fibula only to continue for another hour or so before abandoning.

But the flags, smoke bombs and running along side riders is out of place and likely ruined what could have been an ultimate podium finish for nibali.

Still, that race was epic. I loved the point where all five lead guys were riding side by side at the top just waiting for someone to take off.
                                Agree with you and Dwight. It makes me very angry. I can understand some of the enthusiasm, and I think the crazy crowds on some climbs are a big part of cycling. I will never forget the crowds in 2004 (or 2003?) when they did an ITT up Alpe d'Huez. It was insane. But flares? WTH is that all about? it ruins the spectacle for EVERYONE. I feel very badly for Nibali.
                                PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

Working...
                                X