Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home ethernet router with WiFi - what to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home ethernet router with WiFi - what to get?

I need to purchase an ethernet router sometime in the next few months. I'm guessing it should have four ports, although eight would be nice. It should also produce a WiFi signal for my wireless stuff to connect to.

Do any of you have suggestions? Or should I just stop in at Fry's or Best Buy and see what they have?

Searching for this on Google doesn't seem to be very educational.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Paging Northwestcoug
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I have the google Wi-Fi router. I like it. It comes with 3 routers that make a mesh network. It only has one port but I bought a five port switch for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by Scott R Nelson View Post
        I need to purchase an ethernet router sometime in the next few months. I'm guessing it should have four ports, although eight would be nice. It should also produce a WiFi signal for my wireless stuff to connect to.

Do any of you have suggestions? Or should I just stop in at Fry's or Best Buy and see what they have?

Searching for this on Google doesn't seem to be very educational.

Thanks in advance for any insights.
        If you want to check Fry's, you should do so before you move to Idaho.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          If you want to check Fry's, you should do so before you move to Idaho.
          Yeah. I figured that one out. That will be one of the adjustments we'll make once we're there permanently.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Paging Northwestcoug
            I'll take it from here.

Go mesh. I've been very happy with Eero. I got 3 units which has erased any dead zones in my house, and also does a good job covering my patio outside. I think there are two ports for each unit; I don't use them. Setup was super easy. There will only a couple of hiccups during the first month, which were pretty minor. But since then it's been smooth sailing. The system updates automatically, and the family controls are extensive. I think it's now 100 dollars off from what I paid.

My brother has the google mesh network like Moli, and he is happy with it.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

frys is my favorite store in the world
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

I use Google Mesh. Super easy to set up and I have not had a single problem.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Funny... I just went to Fry's yesterday and bought TP-Link extender and installed it up stairs for the bonus room over the garage. It was as easy as plugging it in to a wall socket and picking it up on home network and plugging in the password of our home wifi.

Got the dual band and 750mb for $29.99
                  Last edited by clackamascoug; 02-28-2018, 09:28 PM.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
                  -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Okay, Google Mesh for WiFi. This time around I actually want to use Ethernet wired connections for most things in my new house. Wires have already been run to all of the rooms and I'm expecting a few electronic devices to work better with direct connections than the current setup where everything is wireless.

Thanks for all suggestions so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      I have the google Wi-Fi router. I like it. It comes with 3 routers that make a mesh network. It only has one port but I bought a five port switch for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      I also ended up getting this after reading the other thread we have here and researching and reading other reviews. I've had it for six months or so now. Very pleased. I have a very long house and the cable comes in on the far corner and like many of you with lots of kids and devices, wifi had been a problem for a long time. But no longer.

Comment

I am looking to get a mesh system. Google, Eero, Orbi or Velop? I keep reading reviews of each and just get more and more confused as to which one to buy. What makes Google better than the others or vice versa?
                        "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

Comment

Originally posted by Drunk Tank View Post
                          I am looking to get a mesh system. Google, Eero, Orbi or Velop? I keep reading reviews of each and just get more and more confused as to which one to buy. What makes Google better than the others or vice versa?
                          Support a new startup company, go with Eero. The sleek design and font style is worth the extra price! And really, does Google need any more money?
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            Support a new startup company, go with Eero. The sleek design and font style is worth the extra price! And really, does Google need any more money?
                            Lol. Look at you go.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Lol. Look at you go.
                              Call me the Uncle Ted of overpriced mesh wifi.
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                              X