FamilySearch.org

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FamilySearch.org

Seems like we should have a thread on this.

Has anyone downloaded the app and messed around with it? It is really well-done, IMO, and can be a lot of fun. The Family Tree section presents a cool visual of your ancestry, and lots of the records have photos and stories uploaded. Learned a lot about ancestors I didn't know I even had. My kids have enjoyed hearing the stories as well.

One interesting feature is the Find Relatives (I think that's what it is called) function. You open it up in a room with a bunch of people who also have the app open, and it will tell you which people you are related to and how. Turns out my wife and I are 10th cousins, once removed. That's probably nothing though. My wife was at a book club last night with 8-10 other Mormon women. Every single woman in that group was related to each other with the sole exception of the woman whose parents are from Mexico.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Originally posted by falafel View Post
    One interesting feature is the Find Relatives (I think that's what it is called) function. You open it up in a room with a bunch of people who also have the app open, and it will tell you which people you are related to and how. Turns out my wife and I are 10th cousins, once removed. That's probably nothing though. My wife was at a book club last night with 8-10 other Mormon women. Every single woman in that group was related to each other with the sole exception of the woman whose parents are from Mexico.
    Not surprising. You only have to go back a few thousand years to find a most recent common ancestor for all living humans. With a relatively small insular subpopulation of multi-generational mormons in the USA I'm actually surprised it isn't a bit closer.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
      Not surprising. You only have to go back a few thousand years to find a most recent common ancestor for all living humans. With a relatively small insular subpopulation of multi-generational mormons in the USA I'm actually surprised it isn't a bit closer.
      That's a good point, cuz.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

There is an app called "Take a Name" that searches your family tree and generates names to take to the temple... it has made me look like a genealogy genus to my fellow members. Now if I actually went to the temple once in a while.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
          That's a good point, cuz.

Comment

RESEARCHERS USED THIS GENEALOGY SITE TO BUILD A 13 MILLION-PERSON FAMILY TREE

https://www.wired.com/story/research...n-family-tree/

Comment

Used this app in my Sunday school class last year. Had a lot of fun with the kids all finding connections with each other and talking about how we are all connected.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

Comment

Relative Finder is a cool website for Family Search users. The two presidents I'm most closely related to are Barack Obama and George Washington.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  Relative Finder is a cool website for Family Search users. The two presidents I'm most closely related to are Barack Obama and George Washington.
                  My closest US president relation appears to be Benjamin Franklin Pierce (3C8R). Then John Adams (4C8R) and Thomas Jefferson (4C9R).

After that is Franklin Delano Roosevelt (5C6R), which seems odd since his cousin, Theodore Roosevelt, is near the bottom of my US president relations list (11C1R).

Edit: After "masquerading" as Franklin Delano, I found that he was 5th cousins with Theodore. Not as close a relation between those two as I thought.
                  Last edited by Pelado; 03-02-2018, 01:32 PM.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                    Hey about that... Barack and I are 9th cousins.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      Hey about that... Barack and I are 9th cousins.
                      somebody hack IPU's familysearch account and find out how closely related he is to Obama.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

same. Barack and I are 9th cousins 1 time removed

Looks like Anne Boleyn was a second cousin of mine

Also I have lots of grandparents on the Mayflower
                        Last edited by Flystripper; 03-02-2018, 02:44 PM.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post

Wait, YOU have access to familysearch? They didn't revoke access when you slipped into the abyss?

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post

Also, I'm not sure you understand the concept of second cousins. Or maybe I don't.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

yup...non- members can sign up too but I am still officially a member...don't know my member record number though. They located me in the system after I said I served my mission in the U.S.
                              Last edited by Flystripper; 03-02-2018, 02:59 PM.
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                              X