No announcement yet.

Time for Dave Rose to move along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I personally think it would be insane for BYU to fire Rose, so I am fully supportive of it. Rose is a very good coach. BYU is one of the hardest schools in the nation to have success coaching at in basketball. He puts up with the most ridiculous shit, like suspending a player for having sex and destroying the opportunity to make a run in the NCAA tournament.

I'd love to see BYU fire him, especially considering how shallow the list of candidates is for the job. The best guy for the job is probably Alex Jensen and he is on track for a NBA gig and I'm not sure he would leave for BYU.
    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      I personally think it would be insane for BYU to fire Rose, so I am fully supportive of it. Rose is a very good coach. BYU is one of the hardest schools in the nation to have success coaching at in basketball. He puts up with the most ridiculous shit, like suspending a player for having sex and destroying the opportunity to make a run in the NCAA tournament.

I'd love to see BYU fire him, especially considering how shallow the list of candidates is for the job. The best guy for the job is probably Alex Jensen and he is on track for a NBA gig and I'm not sure he would leave for BYU.
      Move along, funk. You have no credibility on topics like this.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

My opinions -

BYU does not have top 25 talent.

BYU has top 50 talent

BYU is not getting the most out of their talent.

Dave Rose has been a good-to-great coach in certain years

Dave Rose has underachieved most recently for several years.

For the last few years the WCC has been better than the MWC. Our fan's perception is that it sucks because the gyms are small but the truth is that the MWC has been in decline since BYU and Utah left. This isn't an excuse for Dave, but is an observation. I would never be happy with us losing to the likes of CSU, AF, etc. in the MWC either but those losses did happen from time to time.

As someone who remembers the 1-25 season after Roger Reid, I am very scared of firing a BYU coach who consistently gets 20-25 wins.

The Mormon coaching pool for basketball is not as shallow as the football pool. I base this on numbers, but don't have a list of prospects. There are simply way more college basketball programs than football programs so by default the pool must be greater.

I really like Dave Rose and I personally don't want him to be fired but BYU needs to be better...
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          Move along, funk. You have no credibility on topics like this.
          I was right that the Utes hiring Dave Rice would have been a disaster.
          --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
            I was right that the Utes hiring Dave Rice would have been a disaster.
            Not sure how you can say you were right about something that didn't happen.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I think he needs another year. It would be something else to me if we were talking about 3 straight losing seasons (granted, 3 seasons in a row of not making the NCAAs is basically that to BYU fans). The difference with Rose and his predecessors is that when his program seems to start to go downhill it's still postseason and 20-25 wins, where with anyone else who has ever coached at BYU it is actual losing seasons (Cleveland in 05). Reid of course the 1-win season and poor season the year before, Andersen in '89, Arnold was like 15-13 in his last year. All of these had terrible last seasons before being let go. Watts had several losing years in his career that wouldn't fly in today's environment, although he retired following a few good years.

It's perfectly fair to put it on Rose that he's had such massive turnover in the program since the Jimmer years, although some of it is circumstances unique to BYU itself, like the mission age change. Next year we finally have the chance to bring back 8-9 guys from this year's team and finally have some continuity. I don't think he's in any danger of getting fired anyway, so chances are whatever we think, he's getting next year anyway. If we do have another year of massive turnover or we get the players coming back next year but still can't get us into the NCAAs, then I think sadly I also may be ready for a change. I don't think Schroyer would be the answer though. His previous HC gigs were nothing to write home about. And really, while statistically he has appeared to help the defense, he is also over the implementation of the offense this season, which has not gone so well. Maybe one affects the other, I don't know. Rose I'm sure will stay unless he surprises all of us and retires. Schroyer I wouldn't be surprised if he moves on. Probably a team from a major conference would take him to coach the defense, or whatever. He was only available to us because his boss got fired at NC State.
              Last edited by BlueK; 02-20-2018, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                I think he needs another year. It would be something else to me if we were talking about 3 straight losing seasons (granted, 3 seasons in a row of not making the NCAAs is basically that to BYU fans). The difference with Rose and his predecessors is that when his program seems to start to go downhill it's still postseason and 20-25 wins, where with anyone else who has ever coached at BYU it is actual losing seasons (Cleveland in 05). Reid of course the 1-win season and poor season the year before, Andersen in '89, Arnold was like 15-13 in his last year. All of these had terrible last seasons before being let go. Watts had several losing years in his career that wouldn't fly in today's environment, although he retired following a few good years.

It's perfectly fair to put it on Rose that he's had such massive turnover in the program since the Jimmer years, although some of it is circumstances unique to BYU itself, like the mission age change. Next year we finally have the chance to bring back 8-9 guys from this year's team and finally have some continuity. I don't think he's in any danger of getting fired anyway, so chances are whatever we think, he's getting next year anyway. If we do have another year of massive turnover or we get the players coming back next year but still can't get us into the NCAAs, then I think sadly I also may be ready for a change. I don't think Schroyer would be the answer though. His previous HC gigs were nothing to write home about.
                Cleveland was actually able to win the conference championship. I bet you that in his worst year he still could have managed to take 3rd place in the WCC. St. Mary's and Gonzaga are very good teams. The rest are dog crap.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Cleveland was actually able to win the conference championship. I bet you that in his worst year he still could have managed to take 3rd place in the WCC. St. Mary's and Gonzaga are very good teams. The rest are dog crap.
                  Rose is head and shoulders above Cleveland. Cleve's went to NCAA three times in 8 years with no tourney wins.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Not sure how you can say you were right about something that didn't happen.
                    We was a disaster at UNLV which is a better job than Utah. He wasn't going to get the level of recruits he was getting at UNLV to Utah. He would have been in a tougher conference. He was a miserable failure at UNLV. What makes you think he would do better at a job where it is tougher to win?
                    --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

Who’s Alex Jensen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                        Rose is head and shoulders above Cleveland. Cleve's went to NCAA three times in 8 years with no tourney wins.
                        Cleveland inherited a program in arguably the worst state it had been in our lifetimes. It took a few years to work out of that hole. In his last 5 seasons, he won the conference championship 2 times, and went to the NCAA tourney 3 times. Rose is not head and shoulders above that. Don't kid yourself.

Comment

Rose won conference championships in the same conference Cleveland coached in, and when that conference was a lot better. We have no idea if Cleveland could have won a championship in the WCC with Gonzaga and SMC there. I think probably not.

Comment

Cleveland inherited a program in arguably the worst state it had been in our lifetimes. It took a few years to work out of that hole. In his last 5 seasons, he won the conference championship 2 times, and went to the NCAA tourney 3 times. Rose is not head and shoulders above that. Don't kid yourself.
                            Ok maybe just head not shoulders. Up until these last three seasons, he was 8/10 seasons in NCAA with our best run in 40 years. The last three have been pretty disappointing. Especially with what we thought we were getting with LP3.
                            Last edited by jay santos; 02-20-2018, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                              Who’s Alex Jensen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              is this a real question?
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                                is this a real question?
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                                X