Time for Dave Rose to move along?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    i guess you could get pope. not sure schroyer is an option.
    I don't think Pope is an upgrade.

Comment

Does anyone have a list of D1 coaches that are mormon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Count me in the "do not run Rose out of town" camp.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post
          Count me in the "do not run Rose out of town" camp.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
          I agree. I would prefer a review of potential upgrades, with a focus upon recruiting.
          "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Topper View Post
            I agree. I would prefer a review of potential upgrades, with a focus upon recruiting.
            Rose has been a good recruiter.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
              Rose has been a good recruiter.
              Yes indeed. Imagine where this program would be without Jabari Parker and Frank Jackson.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Yes indeed. Imagine where this program would be without Jabari Parker and Frank Jackson.
                Without them, we probably wouldn't have even made the NCAA tournament for each of the last few seasons.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Time for Dave Rose to move along?

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  Without them, we probably wouldn't have even made the NCAA tournament for each of the last few seasons.
                  We would probably be third place each year in the WCC, and losing to teams in high school gyms! Can you imagine? (shudder)
                  Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 02-19-2018, 06:47 PM.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I think Dave is the best coach to ever coach at BYU. Look at our historic program with fresh eyes and see what he has done then tell me he should leave. The fact is LDS talent is not good in hoop despite opinions that it is. Add to it that Rose single handedly raised the money for the b-ball annex and for every scholarship in perpetuity and I think he deserves to be able to leave on his own terms. I think he leaves after two more years either way.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      No one else would have landed those guys, especially Parker.

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                        I think Dave is the best coach to ever coach at BYU. Look at our historic program with fresh eyes and see what he has done then tell me he should leave. The fact is LDS talent is not good in hoop despite opinions that it is. Add to it that Rose single handedly raised the money for the b-ball annex and for every scholarship in perpetuity and I think he deserves to be able to leave on his own terms. I think he leaves after two more years either way.
                        I didn't know about Dave's efforts to raise the money for the basketball annex. He should be allowed to leave on his own terms.
                        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                          No one else would have landed those guys, especially Parker.
                          Disagree. I personally told Holmoe about Jabari when he was 10. His mom is a huge BYU fan. They had a legit shot at Jabari. BYU mishandled Chris and it completely ruined the relationship. Then Jabari looks to be a legit prospect, Chris gets home from his mission and BYU coaches ask him if they could come out and see him work out. They get to the church gym and completely ignore Chris and try to get Jabari to run drills for them. That was the end. Sonny was upset and Chris was humiliated. Chris wasn’t a D1 prospect but treating him differently and allowing him a walk-on spot would have dramatically improved BYU’s position with both Sonny and Jabari. The Parkers dislike Rose and they still were in it. That’s how big of a BYU fan Jabari’s mom is.
                          Last edited by CJF; 02-19-2018, 10:54 PM.
                          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CJF View Post
                            Disagree. I personally told Holmoe about Jabari when he was 10. His mom is a huge BYU fan. They had a legit shot at Jabari. BYU mishandled Chris and it completely ruined the relationship. Then Jabari looks to be a legit prospect, Chris gets home from his mission and BYU coaches ask him if they could come out and see him work out. They get to the church gym and completely ignore Chris and try to get Jabari to run drills for them. That was the end. Sonny was upset and Chris was humiliated. Chris wasn’t a D1 prospect but treating him differently and allowing him a walk-on spot would have dramatically improved BYU’s position with both Sonny and Jabari. The Parkers dislike Rose and they still were in it. That’s how big of a BYU fan Jabari’s mom is.
                            In fairness, BYU mishandles a lot of relationships. Not just athletes.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                              Aha. The old lack-of-LDS-talent argument. Do you think Rose has fully developed the talents of the athletes recruited to BYU?

Rose single-handedly raised all that money? I call BS on that.

You are right, Rose has done a lot for the program and shouldn't be fired. But until he retires or moves along somehow, get used to underachievement.

Comment

I don't know what the answer is, but any time the subject of a potential new HC gets brought up, it is painful to be reminded of BYU's exceedingly limited pool of possible candidates.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

Comment

Working...
                                X