Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Time for Dave Rose to move along?

Dave Rose should be fired at halftime for that performance. Never been more embarrassed to be a byu fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
    Dave Rose should be fired at halftime for that performance. Never been more embarrassed to be a byu fan.

i didn't watch that debacle (thanks gut feeling!), but somebody on CB said the score was 69-25 at one point? that can't be right, can it? and if it is, yeah, probably time for Rose to take care of his health full-time.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i didn't watch that debacle (thanks gut feeling!), but somebody on CB said the score was 69-25 at one point? that can't be right, can it? and if it is, yeah, probably time for Rose to take care of his health full-time.
    Yep. 73-33 at one point.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Quote Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Yes. It was actually 75-35 before byu finished the game on a 22-5 run with the scrubs.

*Banned*

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Yep. 73-33 at one point.
    oh my heavens.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Yes. It was actually 75-35 before byu finished the game on a 22-5 run with the scrubs.

32-11 to finish the game. With the scrubs! BYU has an exciting future! - Greg Wrubell

Quote Originally Posted by LiveCoug View Post
    32-11 to finish the game. With the scrubs! BYU has an exciting future! - Greg Wrubell
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

What a steady decline to a dumpster fire.

I have no clue what happened with Dave Rose but his tenure has got to be coming to an end, right?
    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
    -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
    -DOCTOR Wuap

His cancer is back.

Fuck cancer.
    The crux of what has traumatized us about CUF/CG is that we thought they were our friends. And their identity as BYU fans turned out to be the most important thing to them. What empty lives! What a damning indictment of the LDS Church!
    --SeattleUte

He who drinks beer sleeps well. He who sleeps well cannot sin. He who does not sin goes to heaven. The logic is impeccable.
    --Charles W. Bamforth, Ph.D.

Besides guys pursuing low level professional careers overseas (Mika, Bryant, and soon to be Childs) instead of playing at BYU. Let's look at Dave Rose other defections:

Jordan Chatman- career 39% 3pt shooter for Boston College. Averaged 13 per game over his last two seasons.
    Jake Toolson- 16.3ppg, 4.5 rebounds, 56% fg, 49% from 3, 87% from the line. Just named WAC POY.
    Payton Dastrup- redshirted for Oregon State

I think those 3 could have definitely helped this season. Its not like BYU shot one of the lowest percentages from 3 in team history.

Other transfers
    Jamaal Aytes- averaged 12.5 and 6 at SUU
    Damarcus Harrison- 8 points and 3 rebounds for Clemson
    Isaac Neilson- 10.6 and 9.1 for UVU his junior season
    Frank Bartley IV- 17.8 and 3.6 for Louisiana-Lafayette, first team all Sun Belt
    Matt Carlino- 15 per game on 42% from 3 for Marquette

In addition recruits he missed on that could have helped this season:

Sam Merrill- MWC player of the year, played at Bountiful with Zac Seljaas.
    Wyatt Lowell- First 4 star in UVU history. Return missionary, WAC freshman of the year.
    Connor Toolson- Lone PEak kid that played with the big 3 in high school (Andys son), in 3 seasons at UVU 12.3 points, 37% from 3.
    Brock Miller- 8pts per game for UTah State

These are not guys who went to bigger programs or that we lost recruiting battles for. These are guys that Dave Rose just did not offer and completely missed on. All 4 of them would have gone to BYU had they been offered. But hey Rylan Bergerson and Dalton Nixon still have scholarships.

Add in the fact that he has lost every elite instate recruit in 2019 (Rylan Jones, Matt Van Komen to Utah, ISaac Johnson to Oregon)
    Last edited by cougjunkie; 03-12-2019 at 03:43 PM.
    *Banned*

Besides guys pursuing low level professional careers overseas (Mika, Bryant, and soon to be Childs) instead of playing at BYU. Let's look at Dave Rose other defections:

Jordan Chatman- career 39% 3pt shooter for Boston College. Averaged 13 per game over his last two seasons.
    Jake Toolson- 16.3ppg, 4.5 rebounds, 56% fg, 49% from 3, 87% from the line. Just named WAC POY.
    Payton Dastrup- redshirted for Oregon State

I think those 3 could have definitely helped this season. Its not like BYU shot one of the lowest percentages from 3 in team history.

Other transfers
    Jamaal Aytes- averaged 12.5 and 6 at SUU
    Damarcus Harrison- 8 points and 3 rebounds for Clemson
    Isaac Neilson- 10.6 and 9.1 for UVU his junior season
    Frank Bartley IV- 17.8 and 3.6 for Louisiana-Lafayette, first team all Sun Belt
    Matt Carlino- 15 per game on 42% from 3 for Marquette

In addition recruits he missed on that could have helped this season:

Sam Merrill- MWC player of the year, played at Bountiful with Zac Seljaas.
    Wyatt Lowell- First 4 star in UVU history. Return missionary, WAC freshman of the year.
    Connor Toolson- Lone PEak kid that played with the big 3 in high school (Andys son), in 3 seasons at UVU 12.3 points, 37% from 3.
    Brock Miller- 8pts per game for UTah State

These are not guys who went to bigger programs or that we lost recruiting battles for. These are guys that Dave Rose just did not offer and completely missed on. All 4 of them would have gone to BYU had they been offered. But hey Rylan Bergerson and Dalton Nixon still have scholarships.

Add in the fact that he has lost every elite instate recruit in 2019 (Rylan Jones, Matt Van Komen to Utah, ISaac Johnson to Oregon)
    There is also a big problem with player development. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if Zac Seljaas went to Utah State and Sam Merrill to BYU if their names would have been swapped in your post. Kids are coming to BYU and they simply aren't reaching their potential.

Is it just me, or does it seem like the during the Dave Rose era, if we play three games with anyone during the season we get slaughtered at least once in those three. I can think of New Mexico, SDSU, USD, off hand. Is there anything to this?

No postseason for BYU this year. Not even a NIT invite. San Diego got one though.

Time for Rose to go. He should retire tomorrow.

So did they turn down the CBI and CIT because of Rose's condition or was it simply a financial decision?

Quote Originally Posted by BigPiney View Post
    No postseason for BYU this year. Not even a NIT invite. San Diego got one though.

Time for Rose to go. He should retire tomorrow.
    San Diego had better numbers than us based on what the committee seems to have wanted to emphasize: 5 wins vs. the top 2 quadrants vs. just 3 for us. But if BYU beats USD in the last game then they would have looked better and they probably get in instead of USD.

BYU vs Q1: 1-7
    vs. Q2: 2-3
    vs. Q3: 7-3
    vs. Q4: 9-0

USD vs Q1: 1-7
    vs. Q2: 4-2
    vs. Q3: 4-4
    vs. Q4: 11-1
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-18-2019 at 07:55 AM.

His cancer is back.

I haven't seen this reported anywhere. Is this insider info or what?
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-18-2019 at 12:15 PM.

Sounds like Dave is done. Along with the rest of the staff.
    *Banned*

Hope he can get whatever treatment he needs.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

That makes me sad, but something was broken.

I hope and pray for the best for coach Rose.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Quote Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
    That makes me sad, but something was broken.

I hope and pray for the best for coach Rose.
    I assume Pope replaces him.
    *Banned*

I hope that isn’t true but I think it is possible.

Semper infra dignitatem PaloAltoCougar's Avatar

I, too, hope that Rose isn't fired tomorrow, but I also hope that he announces his retirement at an upbeat press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    I, too, hope that Rose isn't fired tomorrow, but I also hope that he announces his retirement at an upbeat press conference.
    I’m sure they’ll let him act like its a retirement.

Ugh....please get jensen

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Ugh....please get jensen
    Is this a realistic option? I kind of like it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

You Either Die A Hero, Or You Live Long Enough To See Yourself Become The Villain
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDog View Post
    I hope that isn’t true but I think it is possible.
    I will say this for Mark Pope, he has D1 college head coaching experience. Jensen has been an assistant at the D1 and NBA level. That could work out great, but NBA experience doesn't always translate into success at college. (Terry Porter). I do like that he at least worked under Majerus at SLU for four years.

Pope's coaching record so far at UVU seems headed in the right direction though:

2016: 12-18
    2017: 17-17
    2018: 23-11
    2019: 25-9

Quote Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
    I will say this for Mark Pope, he has D1 college head coaching experience. Jensen has been an assistant at the D1 and NBA level. That could work out great, but NBA experience doesn't always translate into success at college. (Terry Porter). I do like that he at least worked under Majerus at SLU for four years.

Pope's coaching record so far at UVU seems headed in the right direction though:

2016: 12-18
    2017: 17-17
    2018: 23-11
    2019: 25-9
    Pope could leverage that to a coaching job at school with status probably similar to BYU. We could do worse, I guess. Risky. But the program's pretty dead right now. Going the wrong direction with little talent in the underclassmen and not much on the horizon from recruiting. I have gone from fire Chow, fire Crowton as a youth to conservative in my old age "don't fire Bronco, it could get worse". So, it's taken a while to get here, and I never thought I'd say this even a couple years ago, but I'm fine with Rose leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
    Pope could leverage that to a coaching job at school with status probably similar to BYU. We could do worse, I guess. Risky. But the program's pretty dead right now. Going the wrong direction with little talent in the underclassmen and not much on the horizon from recruiting. I have gone from fire Chow, fire Crowton as a youth to conservative in my old age "don't fire Bronco, it could get worse". So, it's taken a while to get here, and I never thought I'd say this even a couple years ago, but I'm fine with Rose leaving.
    I’m in a similar mode. I’m fine with him leaving but wouldn’t mind him sticking around. I like Rose, but things have been dead post-Jimmer. That’s not all his fault (and Jimmer years are a way too high bar for comparison) but the program is just flat.

Of course, I just don’t really care about
    BYU basketball anyway. I’m a fair weather fan, which means I’ve watched no complete games this year and only tune in randomly from time to time. If there is more excitement and promise on the program, I’ll tune in more.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Quote Originally Posted by Moliere View Post
    I’m in a similar mode. I’m fine with him leaving but wouldn’t mind him sticking around. I like Rose, but things have been dead post-Jimmer. That’s not all his fault (and Jimmer years are a way too high bar for comparison) but the program is just flat.

Of course, I just don’t really care about
    BYU basketball anyway. I’m a fair weather fan, which means I’ve watched no complete games this year and only tune in randomly from time to time. If there is more excitement and promise on the program, I’ll tune in more.
    I think "dead" post-Jimmer is a little harsh in that we did make the NCAA tournament three times after Jimmer, which is historically what BYU does in good years. The last four years though have not been up to standard.
    Last edited by BlueK; 03-20-2019 at 08:14 AM.